LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Is It Time To Identify A Franchise WR ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Imagine if we had a healthy Michael Crabtree, drafted Sammy Watkins, a stepped up AJJ and Quinton Patton as our receivers next year... No one could stop us, esp if we can keep Roman one more year... In Levi Stadium....Oh s**t... I just
Originally posted by SaksV:
When Dwight Clark began to fade, Jerry Rice and John Taylor stepped up.
When Jerry Rice went down in 1997, Terrell Owens and J.J. Stokes stepped up.
When Michael Crabtree goes down, Anquan Boldin and Ricardo Lockette will step up.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by buck:
I maybe wrong, but the thread seems to assume that we have not been looking for a franchise wide receiver.

Asking the question Is it time to identify a franchise wide receiver seems to indicate that the team has not been attempting to do that.

Although in fact, we do not know if the team has identified such as wide receiver, but was unable to draft him.

It is the off season, and the thread surely has its value. No harm, no foul.

I don't know whether we have attempted to before or not. I guess my point is bottomline we don't have that guy right now. We don't have our own version of Megatron or Julio Jones. That is what I am hoping we can attain.

My sense is that this post is based upon negative assumptions about the quality of our front office.

Your response to another poster (quoted below) seems to confirm my sense.

I am not saying is "simple" or "easy" per se. The point is if Detroit can land Megatron or Atlanta can find a Julio Jones, surely the 9ers can do the same unless our talent evaluation capability is somewhat below par.

That is perhaps something we need to look into. Sometimes, I do get a feeling that Baalke gets a little cute with some of the picks at times, case in point AJ Jenkins. Sometimes, great players are exactly that and will be both rated high and projected to be drafted high. You don't always have to prove a point by going against the grain. Julio Jones was rated and projected to be drafted high and that was what happened and he is easily a top 5 wideout now.

No matter what, there is always going to be a level of risks involved in any high draft whether his name is Julio Jones or Eric Reid. There are no 2 ways about it, you just have to make the call and go for it. That was what the Rams did this year, traded all the way up to 8th to get Tavon Austin. As the saying goes, no risk no gain. You just can't get away with it, it comes with the territory.

Apparently, you think Baalke gets too cute or that our talent evaluation is below par.

Like anyone you are entitled to your own opinion and your assumptions, but, and correct me if I am wrong, based upon your years of experience in publicity you quite vigorously predicted that a disaster when the team granted the stadium naming rights to Levi Strauss, because the company had a deal with Russel Wilson.

Contrary to your expert opinion, that predicted disaster has not occurred, and it does not appear that it will occur.

What weight exactly do think your opinion should be given when you evaluate a professional in another field when you do not have the information or facts required to make such an evaluation.

But, like I said, you are entitled to your opinion and assumptions. I have mine.

Baalke may have blown the Jenkins pick, but he has made many more good picks than bad.
Even if he blew the Jenkins pick, there is no credible evidence he did so because he was being too cute.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
I maybe wrong, but the thread seems to assume that we have not been looking for a franchise wide receiver.

Asking the question Is it time to identify a franchise wide receiver seems to indicate that the team has not been attempting to do that.

Although in fact, we do not know if the team has identified such as wide receiver, but was unable to draft him.

It is the off season, and the thread surely has its value. No harm, no foul.

I don't know whether we have attempted to before or not. I guess my point is bottomline we don't have that guy right now. We don't have our own version of Megatron or Julio Jones. That is what I am hoping we can attain.

My sense is that this post is based upon negative assumptions about the quality of our front office.

Your response to another poster (quoted below) seems to confirm my sense.

I am not saying is "simple" or "easy" per se. The point is if Detroit can land Megatron or Atlanta can find a Julio Jones, surely the 9ers can do the same unless our talent evaluation capability is somewhat below par.

That is perhaps something we need to look into. Sometimes, I do get a feeling that Baalke gets a little cute with some of the picks at times, case in point AJ Jenkins. Sometimes, great players are exactly that and will be both rated high and projected to be drafted high. You don't always have to prove a point by going against the grain. Julio Jones was rated and projected to be drafted high and that was what happened and he is easily a top 5 wideout now.

No matter what, there is always going to be a level of risks involved in any high draft whether his name is Julio Jones or Eric Reid. There are no 2 ways about it, you just have to make the call and go for it. That was what the Rams did this year, traded all the way up to 8th to get Tavon Austin. As the saying goes, no risk no gain. You just can't get away with it, it comes with the territory.

Apparently, you think Baalke gets too cute or that our talent evaluation is below par.

Like anyone you are entitled to your own opinion and your assumptions, but, and correct me if I am wrong, based upon your years of experience in publicity you quite vigorously predicted that a disaster when the team granted the stadium naming rights to Levi Strauss, because the company had a deal with Russel Wilson.

Contrary to your expert opinion, that predicted disaster has not occurred, and it does not appear that it will occur.

What weight exactly do think your opinion should be given when you evaluate a professional in another field when you do not have the information or facts required to make such an evaluation.

But, like I said, you are entitled to your opinion and assumptions. I have mine.

Baalke may have blown the Jenkins pick, but he has made many more good picks than bad.
Even if he blew the Jenkins pick, there is no credible evidence he did so because he was being too cute.

I don't know what your problem is. First of all, in response to your post, it is what it is, I simply don't believe we have that person.

As for my conversation with another poster, that is our conversation. It has nothing to do with you. In any case, you need to read his comment, he doesn't seem to believe we are capable of picking that person. Jenkins was a bad pick just like you said it and that was why I used it as an example. Other than that, no offense I don't give a crap whether you think I have the weight to disagree with the FO, plain and simple.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I don't know what your problem is. First of all, in response to your post, it is what it is, I simply don't believe we have that person.

As for my conversation with another poster, that is our conversation. It has nothing to do with you. In any case, you need to read his comment, he doesn't seem to believe we are capable of picking that person. Jenkins was a bad pick just like you said it and that was why I used it as an example. Other than that, no offense I don't give a crap whether you think I have the weight to disagree with the FO, plain and simple.

I never said that Jenkins was a bad pick. I said "Baalke may have blown the Jenkins pick."
Some QB's don't need a big name WR to have a great passing attack. Brees and Brady have plug and play WR's, their teams never miss a beat with who is catching passes out there. Kap can be this type of QB. The 49ers are doing a good job of keeping various better than average WR's in uniform. Kap will have tgts who can run after the catch without crabs.

Remember folks, this is Kaps first full year as the starter. All of the OTA's, preseason snaps, practice will feature Kap and whoever the number 1 WR's are.

If jenkings or patton or whoever turn's into an elite type of wr, then awesome. If we end up with 3-5 good WR's, just as well.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I never said that Jenkins was a bad pick. I said "Baalke may have blown the Jenkins pick."

Ahh I see, semantics huh ? So, in other words, you are leaning towards Jenkins "may have been" a bad pick then ?

If that is the case, let me rephrase, I will just say Jenkins is far from being a fantastic pick thus far.

And by the way, if Baalke wasn't being "cute" as in "overly clever" like you had pointed out, then it would make it even worse cos it would be a genuine error in judegement in his part should Jenkins really turns out to be a bust.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Listen, I like Crabtree as much as the next 49ers fan but lets be honest here. This thread is discussing elite #1 WR's and a move to get one whether it be draft or FA or whatever. Anyone actually considering Crabtree in the same category as Johnson, Greene, Jones and White are fooling themselves. He's nowhere near that type of player. He excels at underneath routes, positioning himself to make the catch while shielding himself from defenders and last but not least yards after catch. The part of his game that is non existent is his deep game which all of those elite WR's have. I'm sorry but Crabtree does not fit that bill. Yes he's a number 1 WR on this team but he's not the prototypical big play receiver that those other guys are. I'm sorry but he's probably the best #2 in the game playing the #1 spot. Just how I see it.

Here are Crabtree's #s with Kaep starting averaged over 16 games...

REC YDS TDs
96 1382 13

For comparison,

REC YDS TDs
79 1128 10 Julio Jones
97 1350 11 AJ Green
92 1351 7 Roddy White

Based on your own comparisons and expectations I'd say not only is Crabtree a true #1, but he's one of the most elite receivers in the league outside of Calvin Johnson and Fitz. Sounds to me like all you want is a 'sexy' 6' 3" receiver that wins a bunch of jump balls. Being an elite receiver isn't only about being a deep threat and winning jump balls. Get over it.
Ahh I see, semantics huh ? So, in other words, you are leaning towards Jenkins "may have been" a bad pick then ?

If that is the case, let me rephrase, I will just say Jenkins is far from being a fantastic pick thus far.

And by the way, if Baalke wasn't being "cute" as in "overly clever" like you had pointed out, then it would make it even worse cos it would be a genuine error in judegement in his part should Jenkins really turns out to be a bust.

Fire Baalke!!!!
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

The same face I made Week 2 of the 1997 season when I saw some relatively unknown 3rd rounder named T. Eldorado Owens on the First Team depth chart.

• SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
JJ Stokes stepped up?

For a #3rd string WR he was forced into a #2 role (behind T.O.) and had 60 Receptions and 800 Yards if I'm not mistaken..... To me, that's stepping up because nobody expected much from him at that point. Take it for what it's worth I guess but the point is our team has a long history of replacing star players from within... Call me an optimist.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Listen, I like Crabtree as much as the next 49ers fan but lets be honest here. This thread is discussing elite #1 WR's and a move to get one whether it be draft or FA or whatever. Anyone actually considering Crabtree in the same category as Johnson, Greene, Jones and White are fooling themselves. He's nowhere near that type of player. He excels at underneath routes, positioning himself to make the catch while shielding himself from defenders and last but not least yards after catch. The part of his game that is non existent is his deep game which all of those elite WR's have. I'm sorry but Crabtree does not fit that bill. Yes he's a number 1 WR on this team but he's not the prototypical big play receiver that those other guys are. I'm sorry but he's probably the best #2 in the game playing the #1 spot. Just how I see it.

REC YDS TDs
96 1382 13

For comparison,

REC YDS TDs
79 1128 10 Julio Jones
97 1350 11 AJ Green
92 1351 7 Roddy White

Based on your own comparisons and expectations I'd say not only is Crabtree a true #1, but he's one of the most elite receivers in the league outside of Calvin Johnson and Fitz. Sounds to me like all you want is a 'sexy' 6' 3" receiver that wins a bunch of jump balls. Being an elite receiver isn't only about being a deep threat and winning jump balls. Get over it.

How did you get 1382 yards ? Including postseason ?

Interestingly, it is exactly that deep threat and jump ball part of the game that we lack which is crucial for big gains and red zone plays.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I think you might have misunderstood my thread. I am not talking about "stepping up" here in reference to Crab's injury. I am talking about something totally seperate.

My response infers my answer to your original question. No we do not.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TTown9ers:

REC YDS TDs
96 1382 13

For comparison,

REC YDS TDs
79 1128 10 Julio Jones
97 1350 11 AJ Green
92 1351 7 Roddy White

Agreed! Michael Crabtree is a Top 10, perhaps even Top 5 WR who is just NOW beginning to hit his stride. Scary

The Greatest Wide Receiver Of All Time was 6'1" and 6/8ths
Picking at 30s is not an issue at all, we always stockpile picks, we can trade up in a BIG way. Didn't we just do that to secure Eric Reid ?

If you are saying that is how good teams become bad teams, then we have a problem cos that was exactly what we did with Eric Reid.

As for Jenkins, Patton and Williams, although is still unknown at this point, I feel is safe to say they are no Julio Jones nor Megatron. What I am saying is let's get 1 super WR, the rest can be supported by such guys.

Id rather have multiple solid receivers than just one playmaker as well. Makes the D liable for everyone running downfield. Its easy to focus on one guy, for example, when we played Detroit and made Meagtron almost non-existent. U agree that Jenkins, Patton and Williams will be huge contributors this year.
Share 49ersWebzone