LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

The Demise of our Pass Defense in the Play-Offs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm not sure why anyone around here thinks Patrick Willis can't defend the pass. Only one LB in the league had more passes defended last year than Willis. Look it up. And please don't use Gonzales as a reason why you think Willis can't defend. Gonzales still catches the ball when he's completely covered.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'm not sure why anyone around here thinks Patrick Willis can't defend the pass. Only one LB in the league had more passes defended last year than Willis. Look it up. And please don't use Gonzales as a reason why you think Willis can't defend. Gonzales still catches the ball when he's completely covered.

i think, at times, willis and bowman spend to much time defending the pass
You mean, as opposed to blitzing?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Check out the 2012 stats for OLB's:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticPositionCategory=LINEBACKER&season=2012&seasonType=REG&experience=&tabSeq=1&qualified=true&Submit=Go

You will find the OLB leaders with tackles/assists over 100 and not too many sacks.

The stats that you are using is confusing you.
OLB on that web pages includes both 4-3 and 3-4 outside linebackers.
You have to eliminate all the 4-3 linebackers and their stats from that list when you are talking about or comparing 3-4 outside linebackers.
On the first page of that stat list #34 Akeem Ayers and #43 Anthony Spencer are the only 3-4 outside linebackers.

In the Dallas defense Anthony Spencer plays the same position as Ahmad Brooks.
DeMarcus Ware is the Dallas equivalent of Aldon Smith.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
The stats that you are using is confusing you.
OLB on that web pages includes both 4-3 and 3-4 outside linebackers.
You have to eliminate all the 4-3 linebackers and their stats from that list when you are talking about or comparing 3-4 outside linebackers.
On the first page of that stat list #34 Akeem Ayers and #43 Anthony Spencer are the only 3-4 outside linebackers.

In the Dallas defense Anthony Spencer plays the same position as Ahmad Brooks.
DeMarcus Ware is the Dallas equivalent of Aldon Smith.

That's an interesting point. I'll look into that. That's a pretty radical swing though, in stats.

Both NE and DEN spent a lot of time in a nominal 3-4 configuration, too.

Regardless, the assists are low for ALdon. Has the physical capability. Needs attitude adjustment there.

But I think that you are right in your prior post and we should focus back on the thread topic.

The lack of pass rush exposed our weak covering safeties, and that's a trend that grew through the late season into the playoffs without much change, IMO. I think the weird first half second half stuff is a little quirky, but basically the trend was unmitigated weakening. Brooks helped us out.
  • buck
  • Veteran
That's an interesting point. I'll look into that. That's a pretty radical swing though, in stats.
It is more than an interesting point. It is true. AS is a real 3-4 linebacker. Admit it and move on.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Some people have suggested that team should have blitzed more. Others have said the lack of quality cover safeties made it dangerous or risky to blitz.

Not sure which point of view is more accurate.

Maybe, the blitz would have compensated for damage done to our pass rush by the injuries to AS and JS.

In the second half of the Super Bowl, I wanted more blitzes.

But I also have to admit that when the blitz doesn't work it can be a disaster.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 7, 2013 at 9:07 PM ]
how many days until kickoff? I am so goddamned sick of the offseason.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xtm059:
how many days until kickoff? I am so goddamned sick of the offseason.

Tell me about it...
Originally posted by Beeker:
Here's what happened:

Justin Smith was injured.
Aldon Smith was injured.

Depth is needed.

You hit it on the head SanDiego!

Absolute need for a DLine ROTATION.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
You mean, as opposed to blitzing?
yes,, i think in the super bowl and even before hand when he was known by the team that aldon and justin were not effective, they should have been used a little bit more in bringing pressure. i am not asking for blitz on every play but when you have two all pros setting around playing checkers when they could at least try to make life disruptive for the ravens passing attack,,,
Originally posted by Beeker:
Here's what happened:

Justin Smith was injured.
Aldon Smith was injured.

Depth is needed.

This. The DB's were put into a tough situation for not only the playoffs, but the previous 3 games before it.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
yes,, i think in the super bowl and even before hand when he was known by the team that aldon and justin were not effective, they should have been used a little bit more in bringing pressure. i am not asking for blitz on every play but when you have two all pros setting around playing checkers when they could at least try to make life disruptive for the ravens passing attack,,,

Who exactly were the two All Pros playing checkers in the middle of the Super Bowl?

I am pretty sure that you are criticizing the play calling, not the players--but damn, that sure sounds insulting.
Originally posted by buck:
Who exactly were the two All Pros playing checkers in the middle of the Super Bowl?

I am pretty sure that you are criticizing the play calling, not the players--but damn, that sure sounds insulting.

The point is they were being asked to play checkers.
Share 49ersWebzone