LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 404 users in the forums

49er Draft Do-Over: Alex Smith Edition

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49er Draft Do-Over: Alex Smith Edition

If you could do over the 2005 NFL draft who do you take #1 overall for the 49ers? In that draft the 49ers identified 4 players they were considering with the top pick:

Alex Smith
Braylon Edwards
Antrel Rolle
Aaron Rodgers

All have had good careers. Aaron Rodgers seems like the best player to come out of the draft but would he have had his Green Bay success if he was asked to play right away for us? DeMarcus Ware is the best defensive player out of that draft class. He probably gets my vote. But are we in the position we are now without the Smith years? Maybe Smith was the right move all along.
It doesn't matter. We have Kaep. And it's 2013. People need to get over that 05 draft the same way they need to get over Alex Smith on the other side of the issue.
Draft Gore # 1.
I hate when people talk about "we took Alex over Aaron which was a mistake" We might have had those bad seasons but look where it got us. We have an allstar team now because of those suffer years. Lets not act like Aaron would have came out in 2005 for the 49ers and played the way he has in Green bay. He would have probably scrubbed out too.
[ Edited by xela510 on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:03 AM ]
I wouldn't change a thing if it meant not being where we are now. I love this current version of the Niners.
I'd take my chances either way! But i like Kaep & Harbaugh over Rodgers! Truth is we made a mistake taking Alex over Aaron. When we stunk i thought about stuff like this. Now i only think about Lombardi #6...
I'd rather back it up a few months....we are in the process of replacing Dennis Erickson, whom do we go after? Stay with Dick, I mean Mike, Nolan or go after someone else...actually back it up a two years, do we fire Mooch? Not allow Seifert to leave for the Panthers? blah, blah, blah...

I picked Alex though...live with no regrets. Go Niners!!!
Not to mention... Go back to '95... Eddie D shoulda shown Seifert the door after SuperBowl 29... Then we coulda kept Shanahan & made him head coach... Then we woulda kept McCaffrey, drafted Terrell Davis & won more Bowls!
Obviously Rodgers
UDFA

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It doesn't matter. We have Kaep. And it's 2013. People need to get over that 05 draft the same way they need to get over Alex Smith on the other side of the issue.

True, we would have destroyed Rodgers' career here AND he doesn't have half the character as Alex. It worked out like it should and 9 years later, we basically get a first round pick for Alex and a conditional 2nd next year...full compensation back.
Rodgers admitted that the 2005. Draft was a reality check for him. That experience brought him down to earth and placed a chip on his shoulder. So it made him what he is today, also sitting three years behind favre does help a lot.

Initally he would probably be better than Alex, yet he would not become the superstar he is now.

Shouldda, couldda but didn´t.
Oh hey, this thread again.
Originally posted by WINiner:
I wouldn't change a thing if it meant not being where we are now. I love this current version of the Niners.

Right, a different choice then, a few more wins for Nolan, maybe one more season for him, and BOOM Harbuagh is coaching elsewhere, and we flounder around under Nolan....No thanks, things are fine the way they are.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

True, we would have destroyed Rodgers' career here AND he doesn't have half the character as Alex. It worked out like it should and 9 years later, we basically get a first round pick for Alex and a conditional 2nd next year...full compensation back.

San Diego is right, we need to get over AS, he's a chief now. hate when plp still blame others for "destroying" a bad player. Rodgers is a champion and a leader, I'll take that over character any day.

I would take any player in the 05 draft except #11.
Share 49ersWebzone