LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

49er Draft Do-Over: Alex Smith Edition

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49er Draft Do-Over: Alex Smith Edition

I'm actually going to say Alex Smith. In 2005 we had arguably the least talented roster of any team in recent history. Physically, Alex and Aaron Rodgers are very similar players. Prior to Smith's shoulder injuries they both had pretty strong arms, both are fairly mobile. Both are smart and accurate passers. It's impossible to know whether their respective careers are a product of the environment they were placed in.

Rodgers got to sit and learn behind an all-time great, had offensive consistency and a talented roster when he finally took the reins. Had Smith been drafted by Green Bay instead, he could be the MVP and Rodgers the embattled QB being traded.

The fact that we cannot know this, and the fact that we are getting the #34 pick and a high pick in 2014 in return for Smith (plus 2 very successful seasons) makes him the right pick in my mind.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Those of us on the Rodgers bandwagon were right all along. But I think Alex proved himself later on. Nolan was the far bigger problem than Alex, and the constant turnover in OCs didn't help either.
Obviously Rodgers.
Rodgers. Bring that man's dream of playing as a 49er to life.
Wow @ most picking Smith 1st.
he's no longer a Niner, this thread is now redundant
It sure worked out in our favor!
I personally find "re-drafts" interesting. But, bugs me also that it is a creation of the media, who love questioning Coaches/FO with the benefit of hindsight (Long ago, those in the press questioned our officials on why we picked Alex over Super Bowl winning Rogers , this year it is AJ over Stephen Hill).

In a way they should be the "gold standard". "Here is where we picked him, here is where we should have picked him".

But, most redrafts are not kept current. NFL.com, Bleacher Report, redraftsite.com all have redrafted 2011. The big update is Dalton now in the first round. Over Gabbert, Ponder, Locker. Kap not even a worthy pick in the second round ....
[ Edited by OldJoe on Mar 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM ]
Cedric Benson
Originally posted by kray28:
Those of us on the Rodgers bandwagon were right all along. But I think Alex proved himself later on. Nolan was the far bigger problem than Alex, and the constant turnover in OCs didn't help either.

I doubt Rodgers would be as great as he is right now (basically locked in as a future HoFer) if he had Mike Nolan coaching and our s**tty team around him from year 1 instead of sitting and learning behind Brett Favre for 3 years and then having Mike McCarthy, that system, and all that talent around him.

No one will ever know, but you can't just assume Aaron Rodgers would still be a future HoFer if we drafted him instead of Alex. The 49ers in 2005 was the worst situation possible for a rookie QB to come in to.

lol @ ppl drafting Smith over Ware. Ware is a future HOF while Smith was a serviceable QB.

Imagine Ware and Smith with Willis and Bowman.
living in the past is such a cool story bro
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
I doubt Rodgers would be as great as he is right now (basically locked in as a future HoFer) if he had Mike Nolan coaching and our s**tty team around him from year 1 instead of sitting and learning behind Brett Favre for 3 years and then having Mike McCarthy, that system, and all that talent around him.

No one will ever know, but you can't just assume Aaron Rodgers would still be a future HoFer if we drafted him instead of Alex. The 49ers in 2005 was the worst situation possible for a rookie QB to come in to.

I have seen offensive lines (bad ones) hurt QBs ... I never have bought this argument that multiple coaches will destroy a player. How is it a disadvantage of playing for multiple great coaches? I do not believe Joe Montana would have suffered playing for Martz, McCarthy, Turner, Harbaugh. I suspect we would be saying "he is the greatest of all time because he took advantage of learning from many great minds".
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Aaron Rodgers would be a backup on another team if drafted by the 49ers.
[ Edited by Jcool on Mar 3, 2013 at 12:25 PM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
SMH yet another Smith thread.
Share 49ersWebzone