LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 195 users in the forums

Your reasons for why we lost

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jcool:
1. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
In the melee, 29 is lucky he did not get flagged and easily could have been ejected. He shoved the Linesman.

2. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
On Jacoby Jones kick return there is no holding on a double team block unless the defender is taken to the ground. He wasn't.

3. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
Reed was not offisde on the try. He moved forward just as the ball was being snapped. Perfectly timed.

4. Didn't even see it happen. No idea.

5. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
Tough play that is real close both ways. Good job not calling anything.

Agree with Sims. There is a quick grab and a pushoff. Not one that is going to be called. Nothing obvious in real time

6. Either way the play is a safety, so better to hold player and waste more time.

#5 He has visible cloth, both arms wrapped around the WR, impeding progress when the ball is in the air. The ref decides the game by holding the flag, just as much as he does by not holding it.
1.Refs
2.Refs
3.Refs
4.Squandered opportunities.
Originally posted by Jcool:
1. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
In the melee, 29 is lucky he did not get flagged and easily could have been ejected. He shoved the Linesman.

2. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
On Jacoby Jones kick return there is no holding on a double team block unless the defender is taken to the ground. He wasn't.

3. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
Reed was not offisde on the try. He moved forward just as the ball was being snapped. Perfectly timed.

4. Didn't even see it happen. No idea.

5. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
Tough play that is real close both ways. Good job not calling anything.

Agree with Sims. There is a quick grab and a pushoff. Not one that is going to be called. Nothing obvious in real time

6. Either way the play is a safety, so better to hold player and waste more time.

Only one real questionable response from Pereira is #2 since when does holding only count if a player is taken to the ground? Is that some sort of kickoff/special teams rule? The others for the most part he is right. Doesn't matter anymore but its highly unlikely Ravens win another Super Bowl for a while.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Just wasn't our time. Not that I wanted us to lose because I didn't, but I think we'll be a better, more hungry and more focused team next year and beyond because of this loss.

I wish I could agree with you on this but I was basically using this same line of thinking for this year after the loss last year to New York. The best part to take away from this is that we absolutely know where we are lacking the most and need to work on improving from there, namely the secondary and the pass rush. And tackling, which I unfortunately thought was one of our stronger points.
Originally posted by goldrush49:
Bill Polian is on "the game" 95.7 right now saying that that last play was defensive holding on Crabtree. Bill was part of defining penalties with the NFL.

It's not exactly a stretch to call that defensive holding. Considering that his arm is wrapped around his waist and his bright white glove is yanking on Crabtree's bright red jersey.
It doesn't take an FBI team to see that.

I think we've already established that it was holding. But the ref was terrified to call it.
I told you.. I don't want to moss our team cuz he is emeny for Jerry Rice. He is nothing a championship cuz he thinks that he is better than Jerry Rice! Meh!! I told the people that Donte WHitner is nope talent around the defense and worst to read the offense cuz he is idiot to plays!! I told u!! I am too early!! U need trust me man!
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
1.Refs
2.Refs
3.Refs
4.Squandered opportunities.

I blame the refs hate the 49ers!! I knew it!! the refs are all cheat!!
So many mistakes, fumbles, broken coverage, bad play calls, bad time management. Boldin should of been MVP
Just watched ESPN and Eric Mangini showed something that almost made me throw up; something everyone else missed... I missed it, you missed it, the broadcasters missed it, even the post game analysis missed it. On 3rd and goal, Delanie Walker is just standing all by himself all alone in the endzone and Kap never saw him! Crabs was in motion from the left side running to the right. The CB covering him started running way too late. Kap saw that the CB was coming late so he locked onto Crabs. Kap gave a three step drop and fired the pass to Crabs, who couldnt hang on, but wouldnt have scored anyways.

What Kap didnt see was that the CB coming over was supposed to cover Walker, but didnt. Walker ran a curl route and was just standing there one yard deep in the endzone all alone. I'm surprised he didnt bust out his phone and tweet that he was just standing there by himself with no one covering him. Should Roman have called some runs on the final drive? We can debate that ad nauseum. Yet the fact is that Kap did what Alex Smith is famous for doing and didnt see a guy wide open in the endzone. Except this was with the Super Bowl on the line. Yes Crabs was held on 4th down, but there never should have been a 4th down.
Originally posted by andrewglass25:
The ball was in the air when bowman was still tackling roddy white, thats not really questionable though. Look a the replay of the crabtree play. Look at jimmy smith reaction to hitting the ground, He's begging for a call. He was pushed. Thats not really questionable either though. I'll leave you with a quote from torrey smith...

"I got grabbed and held all night and almost nothing got called. That's how it went. They just let us play. And that's what they did to the end"

On flacco's roll out from 3rd and goal on the 2 he was very clearly hit a good yard and half out of bounds by the 49ers lineman... they even showed a replay and pointed it out during the game.. That would of been first and goal from the 1 with a chance to seal it. They let the players play the game. It was a over all well called game. They let alot of things go but it was on both sides. If crabtree is called or smith is called or whatever it's not for sure they get a TD. If they do the ravens have plenty of time and a hot QB moving easily on that D and only in need of a FG. This game was called the same both ways.

No the ball was not in the air and White was not tackled. He was bumped multiple times before the throw and he fell down when the ball was stripped from him.
Crabs did not push off.
Torrey Smith's reasoning does not make it a good non-call.
The tackle on Flacco began in bounds.

Missed opportunities on each of the 4 redzone plays. Here's a good breakdown of each play. I got sick to my stomach after reading it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pat-kirwan/21641342/anatomy-of-defeat-the-four-final-plays-that-cost-the-49ers
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
He also had Crabtree on the 2nd down play. He was late throwing the ball. Might not of been a TD but would of made it 3rd on the 1 or 2 yard line.
Hey Jeff~

Thank you for bringing these egregious calls to the attention of the Zone (and hopefully the NFL!!)... Just disgraceful... I was most disappointed in the commentators for not bringing these non-calls up, particularly the one on the kickoff return, which to me, was the absolute game-breaker. You didn't even mention the offensive pass interference non-call when Culliver was about to make a pick the Raven's receiver mugged him. That ended up costing the Niners a TD...

Now, all of that said, the Niners made a boatload of mistakes and all of those were very costly. They didn't really play well. However, the Ravens also made a bunch of mistakes and they just got their asses handed to them in the second half.

I'm just saying if the Niners get just 2 of the calls you mentioned...the one on the kickoff return (obvious) and the off-sides on the 2-point conversion (also obvious), it is an entirely different game...and one the Niners probably win.
lets see, a crappy 1st half again which put us in a huge hole once again.

- qb throws a terrible pick that gave them excellent field positon to score.
- qb almost throwing a pick 6 on the very next drive, so that the coachs then run up the gut on 3rd and long forcing a punt from deep in our end.
- running back fumbles as we are driving taking away possible points.
- a defense that not only bent but broke and didn't force FG's instead of td's.
- a special teams blunder costing 7.
- db's not engaging the wr's at the line and thus giving a free release, which killed us on the deep balls.
- not getting the 2 point conversion, terrible play calling and terrible throw.
- terrible clock management by the qb and the coach.
- terrible coaching at times on both sides of the ball.
- some bad calls by the refs.
Share 49ersWebzone