LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 245 users in the forums

Has the Defense become weaker than the Offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Has the Defense become weaker than the Offense?

• kray28
  • Veteran
The best passing offenses in the league basically can't be stopped 100% of the time.

I think the defense performed subpar today....at least to what we're accustomed to. They need to step it up big time. The front 7 was fine for the most part, but for most of the game they could not get to Rodgers. They did succeed in hurrying him some bad throws though. Tackling was subpar and it's worrisome to me. One of the key differentiators for our defense in the last few years has been our tackling.
I was surprised our Lines on both sides of the ball were not winning matchups with any regularity. Maybe the packers coached the hell up out of that O Line of theirs. But we have got to show up better, and Wilson is probably the only guy more lsippery than Aaron Rodgers. I would think kaep is slippery but hes better at just dominating with his physical talent and outsmarting on the play call. Rodgers and Wilson are slippery f**ks, and it leaves a lot of winded DB's chasing around Wideouts that are used to coming down with high heaves.

Little concerned. We will game plan hard this week though, and be ready for a physical match Sunday Night!
I'm not concerned with our defense. The Packers offensive line held A LOT today, and the referees allowed that to happen, especially against Aldon Smith. I did see a few flags fly for holding on Justin Smith by their left guard, but their rookie left tackle had his hands full of Aldon Smith's jersey all afternoon. I can't tell you how many times I saw our defensive linemen getting taken down from behind when they tried to shed their blocks.

I believe this game would have been completely different if the officials called the game fairly because of the pressure we were bringing. It was an all too familiar sight seeing both Justin and Aldon Smith gesturing to the officials for a flag for holding.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
we converted 50 percent of third downs (18 of them ) and had the longer time of possession, also had a good red zone TD percentage...as long as this is the case we are doing our job on offense
the defense isn't going to make all the stops against one of the best passing offenses in the league...
Originally posted by ronin1387:
the defense isn't going to make all the stops against one of the best passing offenses in the league...

This. People are expecting us to do the Packers offense the way we did Buffalo last year. Not going to happen. Those types of teams, you only contain them, which we did. But you aren't shutting them down.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

This. People are expecting us to do the Packers offense the way we did Buffalo last year. Not going to happen. Those types of teams, you only contain them, which we did. But you aren't shutting them down.

They certainly got pressure, just didn't finish. That could be a bigger problem against Seattle. Having said that, Carolina did a great job this week by not having it's ends commit to the sack in order to force Wilson back into the pocket. The defense also completely stuffed the run today.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

They certainly got pressure, just didn't finish. That could be a bigger problem against Seattle. Having said that, Carolina did a great job this week by not having it's ends commit to the sack in order to force Wilson back into the pocket. The defense also completely stuffed the run today.

was fun to watch carolina do that to seattle. if carolinas defense can hold the shecocks to under 15 we should be able to shut them out
this is like the 4th straight game and 6th out of 7th where the 49ers gave up 24+ points. Yea, this defense is on the decline....
Originally posted by xtm059:
was fun to watch carolina do that to seattle. if carolinas defense can hold the shecocks to under 15 we should be able to shut them out

... so you missed the Green bay game....? Maybe Whomeam can post it for you.....

I don't know about weaker than the Defense being weaker than the O, but it's definitely not the clear cut star of the team anymore. Our pass D and pass rush are medicore at best. I know there is a big difference between GB and Jacksonville, but I was VERY impressed with the Chief's D and watching us play after the Chief's really highlighted the difference for me.
defense played good last night. no defense is gonna shut down rodgers and his guys, our CBs need to learn to tackle better though, it could've saved a couple of TD's
The biggest change people aren't noticing on defense is the constant rotation; last year we'd see the same guys play at least 95% of the given snaps, this time there's fluid rotation. I assume this started based off of advice from brother John, and to keep guys like Justin and Ray a lot healthier throughout the stretch. -The more we do it, the better we're gonna get at it, and the more thankful we'll be in the playoffs.

The Ravens did this all the way to the Superbowl, which is why their front seven stayed the healthiest/most-consistent towards the closing stretch of the 2012 season, and had more 3rd down stops in the playoffs (specially against us).
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Sep 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM ]
Not yet...but it will be after Crabs and Mario come back.
Lol.
Share 49ersWebzone