There are 175 users in the forums

Has the Defense become weaker than the Offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Has the Defense become weaker than the Offense?

Originally posted by hardhitter2234:
a team in not defined by one player so smith does not make our D, we have not come this far on the back of justin smith, he is one of the best dline in the nfl but come on really.. when we get a lead we run the ball 3 and out, our d is on the feild so long bc of coach and play calling trying to play it safe..we will need to draft a d line maybe 2 or 3rd round but ricky jean will be fine

Yes, of course a team is not defined by one player, but some players are keys to schemes. Justin Smith occupies two blockers and is hard to move. Replace him with someone who can't occupy two blockers and is easier to move out of the hole and you've got to make allowances for that. I'm not saying it makes the defense bad, but I am pointing out the obvious - there is a weak spot that wasn't there before. If you don't believe me, watch the last two games again and count how many times they run to the left tackle-left guard holes. In the passing game, he also occupies two blockers. When opposition offense doesn't have to use two blockers, they can chip Aldon Smith and it's harder for him to get to the QB. I like Ricky Jean. I think he's getting better. I hope he can get to the point where he can consistently occupy two blockers like Smith did.

But again, the defense is the defense. There were always 3 and outs and those games were always low-scoring games because there would be a 3 and out, then the defense would hold their offense and then there would be another 3 and out. All the defense has to do to not get gassed is hold the opponent's offense and get off the field. If the defense is allowing long drives, that's the fault of the defense, not the offense. I don't know where this idea that offensive scheme gasses a defense got started, but it's pretty silly.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
I think losing Justin Smith is # 1
I Think Aldon Smith is worn out some--is # 2
the secondary needs a better pash rush is # 3.

Last year when Patrick Willis was injured, Larry Grant came in and played really well. I think it might have been better to use Grant as an OLB to rest aldon smith now and then. keeping aldon fresher for the pass rush.

makes sense on running downs.

i was kinda worried about Aldon's endurance this season. people keep forgetting this is his first year starting.

This bit, is nothing but a moot point now since they get 2 weeks to rest up. I think we will all see much better rushing and coverage by the D come the 1st playoff game.
The hugest question will be if Cowboy can't play to a high level with his injury. If not, all bets off.. This thread should have had a third option, has the offense made enough strides to start to even out the fans and commentators interest now on more of BOTH sides of the ball. To this I would agree.

As far as scoring too fast, you people have got to be kidding me. As time goes on and especially next year when we get our WR back and maybe Jenkins making plays, they will be scoring more. At that point the D being on the field will only amount to; can they get 3 and outs so our O can get back out there and stack more points on the board..Personally I prefer this to oh let's hold the O back and try to grind it out with runs up the gut which to this point have resulted in 3 and outs. I'd like to see more screen if we are going to pass in the flats, and with short to "short intermediate" routes so they catchers can get YAC.

If they go real intermediate routes you will see big plays again due to the fact Kap is mostly throwing receivers open= big play. You will still get the big plays. Now if someone else was throwing the ball, and waiting for the receiver to be all the open and standing in place before they threw the ball, then cool; you have intermediate routes without big plays..
Agree, the defense makes big hits it wears down their bodies also not just the person they hit. Justin is a hugh hole we really need to fill one day, and he's not a young pup anymore we got lucky when we lost Bryant Young and ended up with justin, this time around i'd like to draft a guy who could replace him and learn from the cowboy all the dirty tricks, and also give him a break for a snap time to time so as to maybe keep him playing injury free hopefully. Dline vs oline is a battle that's 300+ pound mean slamming into each other and justin has to take on 2 of them. Time to look for a replacement. Also the 3 and outs on offense isn't helping keep them fresh, hopefully with the bye week will have time to rest up and get a solid gameplay ready for the offense to stay on the field and not punt the first few series.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Agree, the defense makes big hits it wears down their bodies also not just the person they hit. Justin is a hugh hole we really need to fill one day, and he's not a young pup anymore we got lucky when we lost Bryant Young and ended up with justin, this time around i'd like to draft a guy who could replace him and learn from the cowboy all the dirty tricks, and also give him a break for a snap time to time so as to maybe keep him playing injury free hopefully. Dline vs oline is a battle that's 300+ pound mean slamming into each other and justin has to take on 2 of them. Time to look for a replacement. Also the 3 and outs on offense isn't helping keep them fresh, hopefully with the bye week will have time to rest up and get a solid gameplay ready for the offense to stay on the field and not punt the first few series.

So true
Unfortunately, the offense with Kap makes Greg Roman want air it out too frequently, and when it does workout, our drives don't take that long or we get three and outs...In either case the defense has trot back on the field without a breather...the defense gets tired over the course of teh games...We need a balanced run/pass game...Greg Roman needs run the ball more so we get back in balance, more ball control, more time of possession..This should keep the defense fresh in the latter part of the games and they will play better and get us deeper in the playoffs.
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
What you said. Whatever happened to the WCO? We're back to the low percentage, high risk, low percentage bears/ravens game. We know we can do the long game, now we need to get back to the high percentage short and medium passes to convert third downs, and extend the running game and TOP to keep the defense refreshed.

Agreed. We're not methodically driving down the field enough like we used to. It's either an explosive play or we punt/make a field goal attempt. The running game and short/medium pass game is just a complete mess right now, and needs to be figured out with Kaep back there.
Both of these x 1000000...
Could be they weren't expecting his loss to have such an impact, and they're still just adjusting. I mean how often does he miss a game? Last I checked, it was none, prior to his injury. At very least he had some big streak of consecutive starts, but the point is the man didn't "carry" the defense or the team himself, but he played his role. A significant role that is, and in his absence the defense isn't as effective. That shouldn't come as a surprise though me thinks, just hold your breath for Jan. 12 and we will surely see if they have made the necessary changes to get this team playing at it's highest level.

I liken it to this: Justin Smith is a missing pinion from a mesh of gears, like a leper, and it slipped a bit as a result. Not a huge deal, now especially with the bye week. Best thing the Niners can do is patch and oil up this machine, and get going. I do hope he returns, and can still be effective on the field. If doesn't come back, then someone has to pick up the slack.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
No...and it's not even close. The DEFENSE is still ridiculous. I'm not going to judge the defense on 12 minutes against Brady's offense and a trip to Seattle the next week.

Our defense is as good as any in the NFL. We needed rest and hopefully the BYE week will help recover them. The only weakness on our defense is lack of depth - and we must address that in the draft in spring.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
The offense hasn't made the D weaker at all. Once the wrinkles are totally ironed out, they will be helping more than hurting, if that even is the case...

We aren't able to be as dynamic as we could be for a couple reasons...

-The mid-season QB switch, albeit seemingly wise, caused chemistry/timing issues that have yet to be completely ironed out (except for Crabtree/CK7, they're practically Siamese Twins right now!)

-Injuries to Kyle Williams, Kendall Hunter, Mario Manningham reduced whatever packages of plays we had drawn up from the beginning of the season.

With that said, the reason our D appears weaker is Justin Smith being out. The source of the problem.

He's such a force on 1st & even 2nd Down, that our D can play Base on pass situations, which causes more 3 & outs.

Better 1st down production by our opponents means we're on the field longer. This is based off the simple fact that it's easier to convert a 3 and 2 after running for 8 yards the previous 2 downs as opposed to the typical 3 & Long scenarios we've been forcing on our opponents with this season....

3 & 2 means we can't hunt the QB the way we'd like to....this neutralizes Aldon Smith for extensive periods through a drive and takes time off the clock....

Positive 3rd down production via the running game makes our DBs more susceptible to the play-action......none of our starting DBs except perhaps Goldson have the range to make up for a couple false steps after a quality action-fake (see the Vikings game - Ponder is a terrific play-faker).
Honestly the defensive guys out there are playing through injuries. 16 games against hungry opposition can take a toll. The defense is not weaker just battered and this time off is going to result in a defensive power surge teams are not going to be ready for.

Our defence can defeat an elite offence . Can our offence defeat an elite defence?? Thats your answer. Hell no!
Honestly I think its our play calling/executiong thats holding our offence back!. We have great players who can take this offence to the top! Drop roman n bring in norv turner! he will know how to utilize our playmakers
Take a look at last year, the Seahawks and Rams were nowhere near as good as they are now. They beat a Eagle team last year that was starting its' downward spiral. It was an easier schedule. The final point is that we are in the same situation as last year, second seed. They have an excellent shot.
At this point, I will say YES.
Brock might have to come in for Nnamdi
Share 49ersWebzone