There are 161 users in the forums

49ers Rudimentary Pass Offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Great post, GOFD!!!

Yes, your logical reasoning does make you weird on Niner Talk.

Please don't let that deter you, though.

Of course, I love our passing offense, the way they dominated those Seahawks and Rams......the way they took it to the Dolphins in the first half and lit up those Minnesota Vikings, how amazingly they've converted on third down against quality teams, how they converted each and every single third down opportunity in the NFC Championship Game last year, how absolutely astounding they've been in the red-zone, how well the offensive playcalling has made in-game adjustments and has been able to target opposing team's various weaknesses.

This clearly is going down as one of the top 49ers offenses of all time, with their high efficiency and production, I feel like they can score on anyone, at any time, either on the ground or through the air and with the genius offensive playcalling, they'll be able to outsmart any defensive plan that is thrown at them. Teams in the playoffs are literally going to be scared to death to face this monster attack, with all the variety in the passing game and the the many plays being run, moving the ball all over the field, teams literally have no clue what is coming next and it is beautiful to see.

It'll be great that they won't be able to shut this offense down by following blueprints set by teams like the Seahawks and Rams who fortunately got crushed, nor by jumping on the offensive coordinator's utterly predictable tendencies, other teams might have those issues, but this offense is like the 1998 Vikings, just plain awesome.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 31, 2012 at 6:10 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
You're focusing on all of the negative aspects of this offense and not any of the positives. Of course you're not going to be impressed. You act like no other team in the NFL has "beaten up" on Buffalo or Arizona or that their offensive negatives/weaknesses (3rd down %, red-zone efficiency, etc.) haven't been counter-balanced by other positives:

- total offensive yards - 11th overall (and that's with being 30th in actual offensive plays run)
- total touchdowns - 10th overall
- yards per pass - 3rd overall
- INTs thrown (only 8) - 30th overall
- yards per offensive play (rush/pass) - 3rd overall
- 1st downs by rushing - 4th overall
- total rushing yards - 4th overall
- yards per rush - 3rd overall

But clearly, you're not impressed with those positives. Your negatives are all you can speak about and focus on. So be it.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. These look like facts, that GOFD is citing..

Does that mean there's no room for improvement, especially in the passing game? Of course not.

This discussion could be fruitful and interesting without getting personal or sarcastic.
Roman is good as long as he keeps the "cuteness" out of the playbook, which he has done the last few weeks. We actually moved the ball against Seattle too, it's just that we had redzone turnovers.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. These look like facts, that GOFD is citing..

Does that mean there's no room for improvement, especially in the passing game? Of course not.

This discussion could be fruitful and interesting without getting personal or sarcastic.

Who got personal?

As far as sarcasm, I have no idea what you're talking about, I've come to accept that this offense is a true juggernaut and that its going to allow the 49ers to simply steamroll over every quality opponent they encounter.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Great post, GOFD!!!

Yes, your logical reasoning does make you weird on Niner Talk.

Please don't let that deter you, though.

Of course, I love our passing offense, the way they dominated those Seahawks and Rams......the way they took it to the Dolphins in the first half and lit up those Minnesota Vikings, how amazingly they've converted on third down against quality teams, how they converted each and every single third down opportunity in the NFC Championship Game last year, how absolutely astounding they've been in the red-zone, how well the offensive playcalling has made in-game adjustments and has been able to target opposing team's various weaknesses.

This clearly is going down as one of the top 49ers offenses of all time, with their high efficiency and production, I feel like they can score on anyone, at any time, either on the ground or through the air and with the genius offensive playcalling, they'll be able to outsmart any defensive plan that is thrown at them. Teams in the playoffs are literally going to be scared to death to face this monster attack, with all the variety in the passing game and the the many plays being run, moving the ball all over the field, teams literally have no clue what is coming next and it is beautiful to see.

It'll be great that they won't be able to shut this offense down by following blueprints set by teams like the Seahawks and Rams who fortunately got crushed, nor by jumping on the offensive coordinator's utterly predictable tendencies, other teams might have those issues, but this offense is like the 1998 Vikings, just plain awesome.
I was very unhappy with the first three plays called on offense in Seattle, and appreciate your presentation about them and your analysis.

GOFD correctly points out, though, that they may have been three of the worst calls made all year, and that statistically there are some strengths as well as some problems for the passing attack.

So perhaps you could temper your criticism somewhat, without ignoring the problems and issues you raise.

Really, this board thrives on discussing and analysing issues such as those you raise, but its not here for some one-sided, overwhelming condemnation of the Niners or their coaches--especially after the past two successful seasons. IMHO

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Roman is good as long as he keeps the "cuteness" out of the playbook, which he has done the last few weeks. We actually moved the ball against Seattle too, it's just that we had redzone turnovers.

That and Harbaugh visibly took over the playcalling, in the second half of both of the most recent two games.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

That and Harbaugh visibly took over the playcalling, in the second half of both of the most recent two games.
Just curious. I know that he told the on the field reporter during the Seattle game that "they'd simplified the calls," but I did not know he took over the playcalling at Seattle.

How do you know that he "visibly took over the playcallikng in the second half" of the last two games?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Is Phoenix49ers the son of GhostofFredDean? It seems like a father/son conversation going on here.
Just curious. I know that he told the on the field reporter during the Seattle game that "they'd simplified the calls," but I did not know he took over the playcalling at Seattle.

How do you know that he "visibly took over the playcallikng in the second half" of the last two games?

I'm surprised the media didn't comment on it other than on the radio. If you pay attention, you can see Harbaugh holding a play chart out and visibly making the calls, I've seen him do it a few times before, especially last year, but it really got going in the 2nd half of the Seattle game, whereas in the first half he was simply walking around like normal. The Cardinals game started the same way....and then he started going for the chart more in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. By the time the 4th quarter came around, he wasn't doing it anymore.

I think what's happening is that he's been enforcing his veto power on calls more often ever since that option play against the Rams. When the playcalling doesn't go well, he appears to be pulling the hook on Roman and taking over.

I'm surprised the media didn't comment on it other than on the radio. If you pay attention, you can see Harbaugh holding a play chart out and visibly making the calls, I've seen him do it a few times before, especially last year, but it really got going in the 2nd half of the Seattle game, whereas in the first half he was simply walking around like normal. The Cardinals game started the same way....and then he started going for the chart more in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. By the time the 4th quarter came around, he wasn't doing it anymore.

I think what's happening is that he's been enforcing his veto power on calls more often ever since that option play against the Rams. When the playcalling doesn't go well, he appears to be pulling the hook on Roman and taking over.
Interesting. I see him with his play chart all the time, and frequently he holds it over his face to keep anyone from reading his lips. But whether he's just talking to his coaches or calling plays never occurred to me. I will have to watch that more closely.

I don't give a rats ass about Fred Dean's opinion on these stats he's trying to pump up because Roman sucks.

I seen all the 49ers Super Bowl teams and Roman's offense is not on the same level not even close.lol

Over the last 2 years there have been more complaints from 49er fans about the playcalling than at any time in our history.

Norv Turner is available.
Originally posted by SkyGod:
I don't give a rats ass about Fred Dean's opinion on these stats he's trying to pump up because Roman sucks.

I seen all the 49ers Super Bowl teams and Roman's offense is not on the same level not even close.lol

Over the last 2 years there have been more complaints from 49er fans about the playcalling than at any time in our history.

Norv Turner is available.

I would be more than happy with someone like Pat Shurmur or Marc Trestman. Roman's offense is startlingly unbalanced, he either goes full one way or the other, he lacks the ability to adjust on the fly, he's fallen in love with relatively ineffective gimmicks and lacks imagination when it comes to the passing game. I wish him well in whatever future position he happens to take, but I can't say that I'll be missing him much or at all.
I would be more than happy with someone like Pat Shurmur or Marc Trestman. Roman's offense is startlingly unbalanced, he either goes full one way or the other, he lacks the ability to adjust on the fly, he's fallen in love with relatively ineffective gimmicks and lacks imagination when it comes to the passing game. I wish him well in whatever future position he happens to take, but I can't say that I'll be missing him much or at all.

Unbalanced predictable inconsistent non-adjusting and retarded best describes Romans offense.
Great post. I think we have one of the more creative run games in the league. But it seems like we just copy and paste our passing attack from Madden. Hopefully this is just because of Smith's physical capabilities and Kaps developments.
Interesting. I see him with his play chart all the time, and frequently he holds it over his face to keep anyone from reading his lips. But whether he's just talking to his coaches or calling plays never occurred to me. I will have to watch that more closely.

I'm pretty sure they use the play charts to muffle out stadium noise & get their voice to the mike. Lip reading is not an exact science.
Share 49ersWebzone