LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

2013 talk: Replace Randy Moss with Mike Wallace?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Assuming the Trade/Release of Alex Smith and some expected cuts (below), the 49ers should have about $12m - $14m left in salary cap space for 2013 (assuming a $121m cap). With that, we probably resign Goldson and RJF right away, probably Delanie Walker too. But that still leaves a lot of money after these projected cuts/non-retentions:

Smith, Alex
Goodwin, Jonathan
Sopoaga, Isaac
Akers, David
Haralson, Parys
Moss, Randy
Jacobs, Brandon
Ginn Jr., Ted
Grant, Larry
Haggans, Clark
Davis, Leonard
Brock, Tramaine
McBath, Darcel
Wilhoite, Michael
Jerod-Eddie, Tony
Thomas, Michael
Netter, Al
Wiggins, Kenny
Lockette, Ricardo
Whitley, Eddie
Hall, Chad

As can be seen, that leaves a lot of money left over for free agent signings or extensions. As we all know Trent Baalke only signs value free agents, like Mario Manningham. In 2013, one of those free agents will be Steelers WR Mike Wallace.

Mike Wallace, who held out of camp, wanted Larry Fitzgerald money -- he didn't get it -- so he returned to PIT for his option year. However, he had disappointed immensely this year and has proven himself to be a #2 or #3 WR - the deep threat guy. Compounding the dilemma for Wallace is the daunting salary cap situation for the Steelers in 2013: $8m over the cap, but only 35 guys under contract. What that tells me is everyone who is not a core player will be gone while they rebuild.

With the loss of leverage, Wallace should be on the FA market and fetch Mario Manningham money - a 2-year contract for $7 - $9m total. We only have $85m in committed salaries for 2014 (sans Alex Smith), so a Manningham-esque contract that hits the cap a lot more in the 2nd year than the first would work well.

Wallace would give us a huge deep-threat ability that would allow us to stretch the field big time: picture 3-wide with Jenkins, Wallace, Crabtree, and Vernon Davis -- with LaMichael James out of the backfield! Speed kills. Signing Wallace would also give us leverage over Manningham and Crabtree in contract negotiations -- neither are mist-keep players.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/11/20/3671972/steelers-salary-cap-projections-2013-2014-2015-2016
[ Edited by nickbradley on Dec 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
we cant cut all those dudes...
No, the 49ers are not signing Mike f**king Wallace, can we stop with this bats**t crazy nonsense yet??? This team is going to have its hands full just keeping their own free agents over the next few seasons. If they sign anyone, its going to be bargain basement veterans just like Moss. Also, there's a free agency forum with a thread discussing this exact same topic.
Wanted Fitzgerald money. Takes Manningham money.

Don't think so.
Originally posted by English:

Don't think so.

Umm he had an awful year
Originally posted by modninerfan:
we cant cut all those dudes...

Most are free agents and we have 13 draft picks
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for InconvenientTruth21.
No
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Don't think so.

Umm he had an awful year

Lol you're crazy if you think Mike Wallace will take a 2 yr 7 mill deal
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:

He proved he can't be a #1.

You don't understand what's going on in Pittsburgh...
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:

He proved he can't be a #1.

You don't understand what's going on in Pittsburgh...

Mike Wallace will not sign with a team for 3.5 mill per year

Don't think so.

Umm he had an awful year

Well aware of that. Not sure I actually want him. But do you seriously think he has adjusted his expectations down from $11m to $7m? Highly unlikely IMO.
Umm he had an awful year

LOL.

He is going to finish with close to 1000 yards and 8+ TDs, while playing with a backup QB for three games.

Don't think so.

Umm he had an awful year

Well aware of that. Not sure I actually want him. But do you seriously think he has adjusted his expectations down from $11m to $7m? Highly unlikely IMO.

If DeSean Jackson got 10 mill a year I could easily see Wallace getting 10 mill a year

He also wasn't just asking for 11 mill a year, he wanted Fitzgerald money which is 15 mill per year.

Like I said, I could see a team giving him 10 mill per year
Desean jackson got 5 yrs 50 mill, Garcon got 8 mil a year.
I don't know what makes nickbradley think Wallace is going to settle for 3 mill per year
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Dec 23, 2012 at 1:23 PM ]
wallace wants $15 million per year
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
wallace wants $15 million per year

He did last off season
Share 49ersWebzone