LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Week 15: Thoughts after rewatching the game....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I hope JH/Fangio learned something about playing it safe.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I hope JH/Fangio learned something about playing it safe.

With any other Offense...i think we would be ok
Agree with almost all and a good post game wrap up.

I also think Kap has played very well and better than I thought but the "without fear" thing I can do without. It worked out well in this game but lets not leave out the pass he threw into the endzone that should have also been picked (db had it in his hands). Now, its a good thing to trust your wr's and your own arm strenght but he definately forced those 2 balls that were and or should have been picked. Maybe I make too much out of these mistakes but I just worry that in the playoffs these things will come back to kill us. Guess its a wait and see in the playoffs.

And alot of posters have been bashing on the oline but they played lights out last night. Gore had big holes and Kap had all day/night to throw. Got to remember that Kap could not throw deep if the oline doesn't hold up and give time for the wr's to come open. This is very big for us going into the playoffs if they can keep it up.
Originally posted by susweel:
CK7 was money last night 4 tds hasn't been done since Jeff Garcia. Yes the snaps did piss me off and he has to get fixed ASAP. But for a kid who has only started 5 games the dude is money. I think we may have finally found a franchise type QB to build around.

The game plan was great to start but did get a bit conservative but thats just the way JH coaches. The defense was balling in first but those dudes made adjustment they are pretty good also.

Big props to Crabs I have been down on him since he held out but they dude is stepping up lately and is finally living up to that draft status.

Akers I think they should dump him before the playoffs because he just cant be trusted.

Also the refs were just horrible the punt play took forever to sort out. The PI on Brown was complete BS and the Walker fumble was not a fumble.

That's a tough one because I know what the coaches were thinking. It was late 3rd quarter and they were down by 28 points so we better just run as much time as possible off the clock. What are the odds the 9ers offense will give 4 straight 3 and outs followed by 4 straight quick TD drives against the #1 defense? :)
Great job as usual. LaMichael James deserves some major props here as well. HUGE return and he's spelled Hunter really well. He's going to be a really good player.
Good post!

When we went into that crappy zone coverage in the 2nd half is when we got into trouble. I hope JH/Fangio learned something from that. NEVER let up on high-caliber teams.

I've been saying it for a while, last season and this year, we MUST get a better DLine rotation. I think [hope] we'll do that in this draft.

Ginn is getting worse.

I've lost confidence in Akers in kicking anything over 30 yards.
Originally posted by rk1642:
Agree with almost all and a good post game wrap up.

I also think Kap has played very well and better than I thought but the "without fear" thing I can do without. It worked out well in this game but lets not leave out the pass he threw into the endzone that should have also been picked (db had it in his hands). Now, its a good thing to trust your wr's and your own arm strenght but he definately forced those 2 balls that were and or should have been picked. Maybe I make too much out of these mistakes but I just worry that in the playoffs these things will come back to kill us. Guess its a wait and see in the playoffs.

And alot of posters have been bashing on the oline but they played lights out last night. Gore had big holes and Kap had all day/night to throw. Got to remember that Kap could not throw deep if the oline doesn't hold up and give time for the wr's to come open. This is very big for us going into the playoffs if they can keep it up.

Well, you may not like the "without fear" thing, but to me that's HUGE.

He isn't intimidated. The game is never "too big for him". He doesn't get nervous. Yes, he still makes mistakes here and there, but those mistakes don't prevent him from taking another chance the way they do with Alex.

The media LOVES to talk about his legs, but thats a long way down the list for me of the reasons I like him soo much.

1) ACCURACY down the field.
2) Smart Kid.
3) FEARLESS.
4) BIG, BIG arm.
5) Can create when play breaks down.

and then MAYBE his legs...although that is kinda tied up in #5.

It's WAY, WAY to early to annoint him as the next great Niners QB, but I defy you to find a 49ers QB who has been more impressive this early in his career.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM ]
Some follow up thoughts to last night:

1. The O-line was much better. One sack. I don't think there was a single holding call. There was a marginal hands to the face penalty against Boone. But overall Kaepernick had a clean pocket and the run game generated significant yards. It wasn't all perfect (snaps. Some stuffed runs later when we went conservative) but it was much better than last week and the week before.

2. Play calling: I think it was slightly better. We passed a lot more on first down. We came out firing to start the game and were able to get an early lead. I didn't like the pass happy series that led to the Walker fumble. And I don't think Kaepernick has the soft touch for fade patterns to Moss in the red zone just yet. I want more power, bootlegs, and play action down there. We also got too conservative with the lead. But that's been discussed quite a bit.

3. We need defensive depth. In fact, I think the first three picks in this draft should be on defence. We need more critical mass at end. We need more pass rushers. We need young legs to eat up snaps down the stretch. I love who we have. But we need some solid young future starters behind Justin Smith etc.

4. Looking ahead - could Kaepernick turn this team into a top 10 offence? It sure looks that way. The kid looks like nothing bothers him. He doesn't get down. He doesn't get discouraged. And he is an up-tempo player. I don't think Seattle will scare him anymore than New Orleans or New England.

The way this team is rounding out, it reminds me of the Steelers with Big Ben at QB. Kaep will make mistakes and have some errors. But he makes enough big plays to compensate for that. The defence is as tough as they come. And the running game is very efficient. I feel much better about this team heading into the post season than I did about last year's team. The biggest threat right now is a physical bruising team that can not only take the 49ers best punch, but counter punch. Seattle and the NYG still fit that bill. Outside of them, I think the NFC is pretty soft.
Good analysis as always Marvin!!

I would also add the lack of depth in the front 7 should be considered a major concern and top priority this off-season.

The defense looked gassed in Q4,, if we don't have fresh troops to combat the no huddle, we could be in trouble at some point.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by susweel:
CK7 was money last night 4 tds hasn't been done since Jeff Garcia. Yes the snaps did piss me off and he has to get fixed ASAP. But for a kid who has only started 5 games the dude is money. I think we may have finally found a franchise type QB to build around.

The game plan was great to start but did get a bit conservative but thats just the way JH coaches. The defense was balling in first but those dudes made adjustment they are pretty good also.

Big props to Crabs I have been down on him since he held out but they dude is stepping up lately and is finally living up to that draft status.

Akers I think they should dump him before the playoffs because he just cant be trusted.

Also the refs were just horrible the punt play took forever to sort out. The PI on Brown was complete BS and the Walker fumble was not a fumble.

That's a tough one because I know what the coaches were thinking. It was late 3rd quarter and they were down by 28 points so we better just run as much time as possible off the clock. What are the odds the 9ers offense will give 4 straight 3 and outs followed by 4 straight quick TD drives against the #1 defense? :)

yah and its also human nature to let up a little bit when your up like that..

The holding by NE is nothing new. I've watched their games for years and they rarely get called for it. Brady and NE are the leagues "darlings" so I've come to expect it.
Plus Aldon was gassed and just doesn't have the ability to get loose when held yet.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Good analysis as always Marvin!!

I would also add the lack of depth in the front 7 should be considered a major concern and top priority this off-season.

The defense looked gassed in Q4,, if we don't have fresh troops to combat the no huddle, we could be in trouble at some point.

Yeah, that has worried me all season, but esspecially against a team that runs their offense the way that NE does.
A couple of additional points:

- despite giving up some huge yardage to Brandon Lloyd, Culliver still seems to show a trait that is essential for good corners - confidence and ability to forget quickly. He's got the physical tools, and I think he definitely has the mental tools to become a #1 corner some day if he puts the time/study. You can see it in his body language even after giving up a reception that he is ready to bounce back mentally.

- I was very high on Kaepernick since he was drafted, but perhaps his biggest upside (more than his arm strength or his leg speed) is that he has nerves of steel and is a playmaker. His accuracy has been also very impressive on the mid to deep throws. I always thought Harbaugh made the very tough decision to switch QBs mid season only because he calculated that the upside of CK is THAT much more worth the potential risk.

- LaMichael James: He's tough for his size and he doesn't shun the spotlight in a big pressure game like this. I was impressed by his constant attempts to stay in bounds late in the game to keep the clock running. He'll be a big part of the offense in seasons to come.

- I don't expect the team to resign Ted Ginn. He was signed because of his stability as a punt returner but he brings no presence on offense. The niners will calculate that his roster spot can be used better by a more productive weapon.

- I really thought we dodged a bullet when Frank Gore's knee got bent awkwardly in the first half. If there is one player who "deserves" a SB ring, it's him.
Don't understand 9.

He did compliment the Patriots in the postgame and it was an exhausting game.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Don't understand 9.

He did compliment the Patriots in the postgame and it was an exhausting game.

why does that even matter anyways. people
Share 49ersWebzone