LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

Week 14: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by nannite:
This o-line was built for grinding it out in the run game. They had pass protection issues last year also, but were able to hide it in the short passing game offense.

Right on the money. IMHO, it's our pass protection that will make us or break us this year. It's definitely the weak link....
Marvin, great post, as usual. Someone in the thread proclaimed you as the best poster on the WZ, and I would agree.

#2. I agree that Aldon is just spectacular, and should be a huge force for years to come. However, we tend to be ignoring that the rest of the D is doing a poor job in racking up sacks. Football Outsiders stats (not including this week) count us for 30 sacks, a 6.4% rate per pass play, ranked #18 in the league.

#7. On the other hand, our pass protection is dead last, 34 sacks, 9.2%, tied for #32 with Carolina. Some of this can be blamed on both QB's but the O-line sucks at pass protection.

#3. One of the 19-yard runs by Frank yesterday was the best one I have ever seen from him. He made amazing cuts and shrugged off 5 tacklers. He has not attained 100 yards for several weeks now, but it is not his fault!
Marvin, great post, as usual. Someone in the thread proclaimed you as the best poster on the WZ, and I would agree.

#2. I agree that Aldon is just spectacular, and should be a huge force for years to come. However, we tend to be ignoring that the rest of the D is doing a poor job in racking up sacks. Football Outsiders stats (not including this week) count us for 30 sacks, a 6.4% rate per pass play, ranked #18 in the league.

#7. On the other hand, our pass protection is dead last, 34 sacks, 9.2%, tied for #32 with Carolina. Some of this can be blamed on both QB's but the O-line sucks at pass protection.

#3. One of the 19-yard runs by Frank yesterday was the best one I have ever seen from him. He made amazing cuts and shrugged off 5 tacklers. He has not attained 100 yards for several weeks now, but it is not his fault!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
nm
[ Edited by susweel on Dec 10, 2012 at 2:15 PM ]
Sorry, duplicate post. Damn computer!
Originally posted by highwayone:
When he drops back and lets a deep pass fly, I now expect good things to happen. That pass to Moss was on the money. When Alex made those throws, I expected the ball to be 5-10 years beyond the WR

I know you meant "yards" but years is alot funnier ...

LOL!!

...oops....
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The penalties have been brutal, its been almost surreal seeing how many times this team has been shooting themselves in the foot, playing against good defenses and making an already difficult task even harder. They've penalized themselves out of countless drives and they need to sort stuff out this week to get everyone back on the same page. You can't keep giving back yards wholesale and expect to keep winning.

Agree. Nice job as always Marvin!
Good post.

1). Randy Moss gets interfered with on a frequent basis w/out panalties being called.

2). Kap is improving every week BUT as we move into the playoffs we can't expect to win those games without an improved passing attack.

3).
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:

First...THANKS!!

Second....true....but there are also some plays where Aldon just gets there first. Moreover, teams have adjusted to the 49ers pass rush and moved to quick, short passes. There have been far fewer chances to get sacks.

Third...totally agreed on pass protection. they have a QB now who can throw that pass...they need protection. To be fair tho, they have played a number of teams with a very good pass-rush.

Finally, the reason Frank isn't getting 100 yards is that he is sharing the load in the run game. If you added his yard to Hunters yards before he got hurt, you would see something very different. Frank had 63 yards yesterday, but he still averaged over 5 yards per Carry. James got another 30 and DIxon had another 9....so all together they had over 100. Peeps need to start getting used to that. Frank will share the load more and more moving forward to keep him fresh and to extend his career. Hunter and James are critical to this...and that's why I was so pleased seeing how James played.

The best example I can make is Fred Taylor and MJD. MHD extended Freds career until finally MJD just took over.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 10, 2012 at 2:48 PM ]
Sorry about that.

3). Third downs are STILL a problem area.

4). We are not hitting on all cylinders. One week it's pass protection, the next dropped passes and Oline penalties are killing drives.

Happy w/the win BUT we gotta get better and soon!

Thanks

Burning timeouts to avoid delay of games is getting old. Could be very costly come playoff time. Yes, he's a 2nd year player - essentially a rookie. But, since he's been thrown into the mix of a ready SB team, Harbaugh has stripped the 'benefit of the doubt 'cause he's young' excuse from the argument.
1) We're great at teeing up teams for screens and slants. Rather than revisiting Singletary's notion that we need to impose our will at the line of scrimmage, I sure wish we'd slip the dagger in from time to time. Besides, demonstrating that you'll do that on occassion will make it easier to bash a draw through when you need it.

2) When the potential on this team finally gels, it's going to be scary. So much speed...

3) Our drives continue to have identifiable themes.

4) James' size still makes me nervous, but he seems to have everything else in order. I'm eager to see more from him.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:

First...THANKS!!

Second....true....but there are also some plays where Aldon just gets there first. Moreover, teams have adjusted to the 49ers pass rush and moved to quick, short passes. There have been far fewer chances to get sacks.

Third...totally agreed on pass protection. they have a QB now who can throw that pass...they need protection. To be fair tho, they have played a number of teams with a very good pass-rush.

Finally, the reason Frank isn't getting 100 yards is that he is sharing the load in the run game. If you added his yard to Hunters yards before he got hurt, you would see something very different. Frank had 63 yards yesterday, but he still averaged over 5 yards per Carry. James got another 30 and DIxon had another 9....so all together they had over 100. Peeps need to start getting used to that. Frank will share the load more and more moving forward to keep him fresh and to extend his career. Hunter and James are critical to this...and that's why I was so pleased seeing how James played.

The best example I can make is Fred Taylor and MJD. MHD extended Freds career until finally MJD just took over.

I totally agree. Aldon does get there first, and the opposing QB's (Brees, Bradford Tannehill) have usually been getting the ball out very quickly. I would love to see Aldon get to Brady a few times! The reason Frank may be playing better this year is the fewer number of carries, which, as you say, is all good. And James looked real good.
Originally posted by UKNiners:
Burning timeouts to avoid delay of games is getting old. Could be very costly come playoff time. Yes, he's a 2nd year player - essentially a rookie. But, since he's been thrown into the mix of a ready SB team, Harbaugh has stripped the 'benefit of the doubt 'cause he's young' excuse from the argument.

It is getting old, but to be fair this isn't just any offense. There are a number of checks and shifts and they will always snap the ball with little or no time left on the clock for force the D to declare.

That isn't an excuse...it definitely needs to improve...but it IS understandable and it will be a work in progress.
Good read
Share 49ersWebzone