There are 158 users in the forums

Week 14: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Good summary and I agree on all counts. The one thing that disturbs me is that Jenkins was only on the field for 3 plays in a game where Manningham is out. I want to see this kid in there and use his speed to stretch the field. It makes me really wonder if the coaches have much faith in him. If he was indeed open deep why not use him more??

In my opinion, the Niners weakest link right now is their pass protection. They need to give Kap time so he can get the ball down the field and make big plays.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
bullet points 8 and 9 will get us killed in then next two weeks in my opinion. penalties have not just been happening in the last three or four weeks., can we possible have four quarters of intensity and effort. two quarters will not get it down against two teams at thier place who are both playing at the top of thier game
I would love to see a screenshot of Jenkins open... Being a WR in the NFL is rough because you have to depend on so many other things that are out of your control.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
1.) We're witnessing Kaepernick's development and on the job training. I believe that Harbaugh made the change when he did because he felt there was enough time left in the season for Kaepernick to develop and the offense to gel around him. It's hard to be patient and frustrating to watch sometimes, but I think we're getting close. Some time soon, the offense is gonna start clicking, and when it does, look out.

2.) Tremendous combination of speed and power. Loved Jeremy Newberry's description of how hard it is to block Aldon: If you set heavy, he goes around you and if you set light, he runs you over. Loved the sack where Aldon just embarrassed the Tackle. The guy looked like he got hit by a truck.

Need to pay tribute to the fact that Aldon is the designated sack meister on a great defense. Opponents can't over commit to stopping him because they have to worry about Justin Smith, Ahmed Brooks, and Ray McDonald too. Quarterbacks have to hold the ball because receivers are covered. It's a team game, and individual stats flow from team success.

3.) Gore was key to this victory. Getting James in there to spell him seemed to keep him fresh and inspire him a bit. The combination of Gore, James, and Kaepernick should allow Roman to get really creative in the running game.

8.) I'm gonna sound like a typical fan here, but I just feel like the refs don't like Harbaugh and we're getting a lot of bad calls. In the past, I've always said the calls even out over time. But this year, it just doesn't seem like the refs are holding the opposition to the same standards.

9.) Agree. Kap's deep ball is amazing. This line needs to give him the time to deliver.
This o-line was built for grinding it out in the run game. They had pass protection issues last year also, but were able to hide it in the short passing game offense.
Originally posted by sacniner:
I would love to see a screenshot of Jenkins open... Being a WR in the NFL is rough because you have to depend on so many other things that are out of your control.

I don't have a screen shot, but I was at the game and watched him exclusively on that play. It was press coverage and he shook his man and got past him. I got all excited seeing him open, but the play was already over.
I'm set to rewatch this game regardless, but I'm pretty sure the deep ball to Moss wasn't "on the money", it was slightly overthrown.

Still a hell of a throw by the kid, that and the 50-yard TD run is what separates him from Smith.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by sfout:
Also Jenkins had a good block on Gore's 19 yard run! Gotta start small, he got open, made his blocks. He played 3 snaps and had an impact on all 3 plays. All you can ask of him and he did it. Hopefully he sees 10 to 15 snaps next week.

Hopefully he DOESN'T see that many snaps....just because I'm hoping Manningham is able to play and they are way ahead so have no need for multiple WR formations.

Lol yes that would be the best option but with ZERO film on him I think he could do some damage next week.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Good summary and I agree on all counts. The one thing that disturbs me is that Jenkins was only on the field for 3 plays in a game where Manningham is out. I want to see this kid in there and use his speed to stretch the field. It makes me really wonder if the coaches have much faith in him. If he was indeed open deep why not use him more??

In my opinion, the Niners weakest link right now is their pass protection. They need to give Kap time so he can get the ball down the field and make big plays.
they have not done it all year long and there is no reason to think they will start now in my opinion,, also frank needs more than four or five carries in the first half if we have any hope of winning the next two games
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I'm set to rewatch this game regardless, but I'm pretty sure the deep ball to Moss wasn't "on the money", it was slightly overthrown.

Still a hell of a throw by the kid, that and the 50-yard TD run is what separates him from Smith.

we are still struggling with third down conversions no matter who the quarterback is and that should be a major worry for all

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:

It was a bit in front of him but for a "trickeration" type play that was the best throw you could imagine. If it had been on the money Moss would've been able to stay upright and get "tackled" after making the catch. Instead he had to lean forward and try and pull the ball in, it was when he tried to adjust his hold on the ball after making the initial catch that he dropped it.

All in all it was great play and Kaep put it where only Moss could get it which is a hell of an improvement compared to the last trick play to Moss that was underthrown and Moss had to go all DB and strip the ball from the defender.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
we are still struggling with third down conversions no matter who the quarterback is and that should be a major worry for all

The epic 3rd down failure is blatantly about execution and play calling which I know is incredibly vague but its true. I feel like we aren't calling the right plays to set the players up to execute on the conversion.

Kaepernick's first game we converted on the bulk of our 3rd downs and they were mostly from downfield throws, now with teams consciously trying to stop the long bomb we are consciously calling underneath routes so were shooting ourselves in the foot. At some point we need to impose our will just like we did in Kaepernick's first start and just throw it all over the field on 3rd down.
Marvin I look forward to your post because you have a good head on your shoulders. It's hard to even go into some of the other threads right now with all the Alex/Kaep talk.

1. I agree with Kaep and his deep ball. I expect big things to happen. With Alex the timing was always off and unless it was deep to VD I just assumed it wouldn't be caught.

2. I hope Aldon gets the record. I was disappointed last year when he missed the rookie record. The only thing I fear with this kid is keeping him out of trouble. I think he is a good guy but maybe runs with some bad guys.

3. Last years draft class is amazing. Culliver seems to make a big play every week, like the one he did in the endzone yesterday.

4. Crabtree is awesome and I am very excited for him. People will laugh but I like him for team MVP. I know we are loaded with Superstars and Crabs doesn't have probowl stats but the guy is having a great year. Since Kaep took over, we are finally feeding the #1 wr the ball and good things are happening. We don't have to hear about how the wr's aren't getting seperation. Crabtree does everything they ask him to do and his blocking is fantastic. I haven't seen the slow-mo yet but he is the one that is sealing the block, one on one when Kaep runs for his TD at the end.

5. My take on the penalties and mishaps: I watch Notre Dame alot in college because that's my team. Golodson is a freshmen QB and it comes with some ups and downs. At the beginning of the year, Goldson would look to the sideline constantly for a playcall, waisting time outs, delay of game etc... I think it's just a matter of everyone getting used to Kaep being back there and hearing his voice and Kaep being comfortable with changing the play but knowing when to do so with the amount of time he has. Goldson for ND is a completely beter QB now. I agree that Kaep facing these defenses now is getting him good looks of what the playoffs are. I'm excited. People bash Harbs for what he did to Alex but he made a really tough call because he felt like it was best for the team. He will take his beating for it now, but I think in the long run and even for this year, it will payoff.
One thing I still notice about Kaep is that he still holds the ball for too damn long. Not always, and he played well yesterday, but there were instances in which he could have let go of some of his passes earlier.

Originally posted by kidash98:
One thing I still notice about Kaep is that he still holds the ball for too damn long. Not always, and he played well yesterday, but there were instances in which he could have let go of some of his passes earlier.

this is to expect, he's not andrew luck, he's not going to go out there his first 4 games and figure out his reads against the kitchen sinks defenses are throwing at him.

It's part of the risk you take when you put him out there
Share 49ersWebzone