LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 405 users in the forums

Week 14: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Thoughts from the game:
  • The holding penalties are getting really frustrating
  • Because we don't have good clock awareness, we run out of TO late in games, which will burn us eventually
  • LMJ looks good and fresh, hope we see similar results from Jenkins
  • Crabtree has been playing very well
  • Kaep and Alex really aren't that far apart, only slight differences
  • Aldon Smith is really f*cking good
I think MIA was picking on Carlos Rogers all game. his game is def. slipping. Culliver is clearly our top CB with Brown as 2nd best. Carlos gets turned around alot and doesnt have the speed to keep up with quick slot guys.

O needs to use Kap's option plays to throw out of; similar to steve young using Bootlegs runs to throw out of. when Kap gets out in the open, on some plays anyways Roman needs to design some deep routes for moss, crabs and VD.

This Offense has the pieces to be explosive. Run the option with CK7 and LMJ, power runs with Gore; deep routes with Moss and VD; intermidiate passes with Mario and Crabs and SCREENS with LMJ and Crabs as well. with the speed of our OLine and LMJ we would be deadly if we implemented screens occasionally.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:
23 TD's, 23 turnovers by my count, and you don't really want to start this argument. 9-4 record and he's the MAIN reason for it, what is it? 6 comeback wins this season? most ever by a rookie?

The point wasn't was Luck a good QB, you said Andrew Luck has figured out the right reads and you cant expect that of Kaep... Andrew Luck creates a lot of turnovers... some pretty bad.. so he isn't exactly figuring things out... you could actually say he has 28 turnovers, he has 10 fumbles but was him or his teammates was able recover 5 of them.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Good stuff as usual Marvin.

Here are my reactions.

I thought CK played decent but it was nothing spectacular he seems to be settling for the check downs a bit more. Not sure if is the coaching or he is getting a little gun shy and is getting scared to rip it down field. I do not like the offensive play calling the last two games, I really believe that this will be Roman's last year with the team either he will get another job or JH will dismiss him. The offense is just not smooth the play calling lacks aggressvness in the last few games.

I still dont understand why we cant get VD the ball, the offensive coaches lack creativity on getting your best reciever the ball. Crabtree has stepped up lately on the shorter throws and is doing a good job with the YAC. Still think would like to see him get some more chances on the deeper balls but he must not be seperating.

Franky G looked really good yesterday he seemed to have a little pep in his step I haven't seen him make cuts like that in awhile. LMJ looked like he deserves some more chances, I still think he dances a bit too much before hitting the whole but I think he can improve in time.

The Oline has really regressed the last two weeks. I dont know what it is but they gotta play better than that and hold their blocks longer. Anthony Davis got beat badly yesterday all day by Wake. And whats up with Iupati that dude gets at least one holding call every game he needs to improve his technique.

The defense played well but not spectacular there QB completed some balls early on us but it looked Fangio made good adjustments as the game went on. Aldon SMith is just a straight up STUD dude is just have a great year. I think he is gonna break the sack record. Good games by Aldon, Justin and Culliver and the ILB's also played well.

Last thing people just enjoy the wins I know some aren't as pretty as you would like but just be happy we won instead of just ripping players. I admit I have been guilty of that in that past but the important thing is winning regardless of who is playing QB. Its time some of you stop diminishing a player and just be happy winning.

GO NINERS !!!!!!!!!
between the stadium tour stuff, and his recaps, Marvin is the #1 poster in Ninertalk.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Agree with everything Marvin. I think the 49ers are changing their offense to more of the pistol type offense. Roman needs to watch some Redskins games and see how they are using thier version of the read option and still taking shots down the field. Kaepernick is accurate passer and they need to take advantage of his talents.

As for third downs the 49ers play alot of two te and one wr personnel and especially near the goal line, this is probably why Alex was poor on third downs and why Kaepernick was not so good in this game. Also Anthony Davis had a horrible game.
Originally posted by Jcool:
23 TD's, 23 turnovers by my count, and you don't really want to start this argument. 9-4 record and he's the MAIN reason for it, what is it? 6 comeback wins this season? most ever by a rookie?

The point wasn't was Luck a good QB, you said Andrew Luck has figured out the right reads and you cant expect that of Kaep... Andrew Luck creates a lot of turnovers... some pretty bad.. so he isn't exactly figuring things out... you could actually say he has 28 turnovers, he has 10 fumbles but was him or his teammates was able recover 5 of them.

You could use numbers to make your argument, but I'm pretty sure we've both watched Luck and Kap so far this season and Luck's game is on a complete different level, yes he's made mistakes but, unlike Kap, his positives far outweigh his negatives up to this point. We could also use Kap's fumbles that either him or his teammates recover. I'm not really about to engage in this debate because 1) we're hijacking the thread, and 2) I consider it silly.
Originally posted by kidash98:
One thing I still notice about Kaep is that he still holds the ball for too damn long. Not always, and he played well yesterday, but there were instances in which he could have let go of some of his passes earlier.

this is to expect, he's not andrew luck, he's not going to go out there his first 4 games and figure out his reads against the kitchen sinks defenses are throwing at him.

It's part of the risk you take when you put him out there

I understand that but it's not like he's a freakin' rookie either. I'm giving him credit for the last few games, he deserves it. Just making an observation.

he's a 2nd year QB after 4 starts, he STRUGGLES against zone defense for the most part. I wasn't trying to infer you weren't giving him credit FWIW

It's weird - after 4 games it *feels* like he's struggles, but Mike Sando had a blog entry showing Kap to have the highest QBR rating over the past few years for a QB making their 1st 4 starts. Granted, the Bears game skews the numbers quite a bit, as do the 2 50-yrd runs - and lots of folks hate the QBR as a stat - but I thought that was an interesting take.

I watched the game yesterday and was frustrated with him more so than any of the other 3 starts; yet he had a rating over 100, and I expect his QBR to be good as well.
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
between the stadium tour stuff, and his recaps, Marvin is the #1 poster in Ninertalk.

Gore must really have a grudge against Miami for drafting Ronnie brown over him

I don't need to rewatch the game to know Kaep will get exposed by New England and Seattle. He is not ready and I'm sooooo happy that Harbaugh is risking the entire season by starting Kaep over Smitty.
Originally posted by olapac:
One thing I still notice about Kaep is that he still holds the ball for too damn long. Not always, and he played well yesterday, but there were instances in which he could have let go of some of his passes earlier.

this is to expect, he's not andrew luck, he's not going to go out there his first 4 games and figure out his reads against the kitchen sinks defenses are throwing at him.

It's part of the risk you take when you put him out there

I understand that but it's not like he's a freakin' rookie either. I'm giving him credit for the last few games, he deserves it. Just making an observation.

he's a 2nd year QB after 4 starts, he STRUGGLES against zone defense for the most part. I wasn't trying to infer you weren't giving him credit FWIW

It's weird - after 4 games it *feels* like he's struggles, but Mike Sando had a blog entry showing Kap to have the highest QBR rating over the past few years for a QB making their 1st 4 starts. Granted, the Bears game skews the numbers quite a bit, as do the 2 50-yrd runs - and lots of folks hate the QBR as a stat - but I thought that was an interesting take.

I watched the game yesterday and was frustrated with him more so than any of the other 3 starts; yet he had a rating over 100, and I expect his QBR to be good as well.

See...I don't get that. What was frustrating? No wild throws. No turnovers. Displayed the big arm....what was so frustrating? The checkdowns? The Rams and Dolphins have gone to great pains to stack the box and play deep zone. THAT's why Kaep is checking down. Teams are leaving everything open underneath. They have also been strong pass rushes so when they try to throw deep the rush is getting to him. This isn't Kaep being scared to throw deep or the O being uber conservative...they are taking what the D is giving them.

Eventually, Kaep is going to figure all this out and then teams won't be able to play him this way. He will make them pay for it. Teams playing him this way now is a GOOD thing because it will teach him how to defeat it. The O-Line also needs to improve in pass protection.

BTW, if Delanie Walker catches that pass in the endzone against the Rams and Moss catched it against the Dolphins, we are having entirely different conversations.
Marvin, I will take a once in a long time challenge to your viewpoint, altho not major. Getting Kap in in the last 5 games of the season was nuts(my opinion), in that the kid can't get his schidt together from a roman play call , to Harbaw, to Kap , in time for kap to read the D, change the call at LOS and then struggle to get the info transmitted to his teammates. Something has to give here. We have to shorten the time it takes to get info to Kap. My suggestions are two:

1)Cut roman out of the loop entirely. Let him help do the O gameplan then turn off his microphone. For everbody thinking he is such a wizard, my feeling is he is more a lizard. Shut him up. Let the HC be the OC , just like at stanford...and last yr to great extent....Getting the woeful roman in the way is just not working. The result as all 9er fans and all 31 other teams noted is that Kap cannot get the play in on time, change calls, and get the info distributed to his team before the 5 yrd penalty of delay of game goes off. And we saw Coach call T.O. how many times, plus kap got delay of game....unnnhhh, 5, 6, 7 or was it 8,9 or 10 times. Me, I don't want to see this hacked up game again. We looked for all the world like a team the NYG, GB, Vikes, TExans, ATL, NYG, SEA, Pats could just roll over. When that happens and we lose to SEA AND Pats, Coach is going to have to cut roman out of the loop and get plays in quicker, or he is going to have to go to the guy who could put up with this delayed call bs and call a play anyway...and that is alex.

2)Marvin, kap is definitely the better football player...but not the best for this team at present. He NEVER should have been made starter without winning #1 in PS and TC.. Learning how to get a late call in, change play at LOS, and not get a delay penalty is just too much to ask of him. Good as Kap is, he cannot overcome the late play calls coming in and sure can't get the play changed at LOS and communicated to his teammates. Only way to do this is either use alex who can do the above, or get roman out of playcalling period.

If and when we lose the playoff game with Kap, harbaw is going to get the blame and he should. NObody, no matter how talented, can learn to read Ds , change plays at LOS and then communicate to his teammates without a full yrs experience. To me the Kap experiment failed. Maybe cutting roman out of loop will help kap, maybe not. But any reference to our plays coming in late as a minor problem is way off track. It is THE ONE thing that will take this SB away from us and it is coach induced. Either roman or kap goes. If plays still can't get in on time, then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs....and right now....we don't.
Originally posted by Loco49er:
I don't need to rewatch the game to know Kaep will get exposed by New England and Seattle. He is not ready and I'm sooooo happy that Harbaugh is risking the entire season by starting Kaep over Smitty.

Way to be defeatist.

What makes you say he isn't ready. Outside of clock management, what is it you have seen in Smith that makes you think he is better equipped than Kaep? What has Kaep done to give you so little faith?
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Loco49er:

Way to be defeatist.

What makes you say he isn't ready. Outside of clock management, what is it you have seen in Smith that makes you think he is better equipped than Kaep? What has Kaep done to give you so little faith?

I can understand the clock management argument, but none of the other ones. Its hilarious to me that after Kaep's game yesterday, the Pro-Smith side is still calling for Alex to start. Its as if they didnt watch Kaep run a Smith type game yesterday (minus the 60 yard bomb to randy, the pass to Crabtree between two defenders, and the 50 yard TD run).

Bench this guy because the 2nd string QB can do almost as much as the starter can!
Share 49ersWebzone