LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Special teams rating this year.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Special teams rating this year.

I think it's obvious there has been a dramatic dropoff in special teams play on this team. Just a horrendous dropoff. Last year I would give it an A. It was a well oiled machine in all phases. Now our kick and punt coverage is horrific... Akers despite the 63 yarder misses FG after FG in key points in the game at the end. Ginn although solid with some good returns hasn't had as many huge home runs as last year. Less explosive for sure. When I look at the overall deterioration of the special teams it's just dramatic. The only guy I really trust is Andy Lee. Beyond that we are sub par. I really believe we all well below average. Last year we won with powerhouse defense, turnovers, and flawless special teams. The last 2 of those seem gone this year. Thus we are a worse team IMO. Although still pretty good and carried by a good defense.
I would give it a D btw.
The two fake punts killed us. How does that happen? Once is bad enough but twice is ridiculous.
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
The two fake punts killed us. How does that happen? Once is bad enough but twice is ridiculous.

It didn't seem like they planned for it much after it happened. Not only are we bad. Just terrible communication and adjustments to top it off. Honetly I only trust Andy Lee right now. Just a horrendous dropoff out there from last year.
Is it just me, or is Dixon a magnet to being blocked in the back? It seems like on every big return I see Dixon flying across the screen lol.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Is it just me, or is Dixon a magnet to being blocked in the back? It seems like on every big return I see Dixon flying across the screen lol.

Well he is really slow. Whereas Colin Jones was an ace special teamer who runs like a 4.35. Dixon is more of a 4.7 guy. So it doesn't surprise me he gets caught from behind a lot and blocked in the back. Faster guys would outrun it. On the plus side he gets us a lot of penalties so when they bring it all they way back it often gets called back because Dixon is so slow he draws illegal blocks. So in a way he helps us by being bad....
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 11, 2012 at 6:36 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:

No kidding
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:

Gutsy calls by Fish. Had nothing to lose though. Good hire by the Rams.
ended the season last year on a s**tty note and hasnt gotten much better
Getting rid of Colin Jones and not re-signing Costanzo all to hold on to guys who simply don't play is appearing to be ill-advised at best.

Member Milestone: This is post number 3,000 for ace49ers.
The Rams had 2 extra possession due to STs fake plays. Damn.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Brad Seeley needs to be canned
Ratings are for weenies. It's either Pass/Fail.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Getting rid of Colin Jones and not re-signing Costanzo all to hold on to guys who simply don't play is appearing to be ill-advised at best.

I agree 100%.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
The Rams had 2 extra possession due to STs fake plays. Damn.

That's a shame. We could have won without that.
Share 49ersWebzone