There are 221 users in the forums

The Michael Crabtree Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
hopefully the "greatest catcher ever" talk won't be a curse like when harbs called Akers the greatest kicker ever last year.................................

I was quite surprised to hear Harbaugh made that statement. It's not like he doesn't walk into buildings day in and day out most likely plastered with pictures of #80.
[ Edited by zaghawk on Jan 6, 2014 at 2:01 PM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zaghawk:
hopefully the "greatest catcher ever" talk won't be a curse like when harbs called Akers the greatest kicker ever last year.................................

I was quite surprised to hear Harbaugh made that statement. It's not like he doesn't walk into buildings day in and day out most likely plastered with pictures of #80.

Michael Crabtree has better hands than Jerry Rice. Yes I said it. And Jerry Rice is my favorite player in any sport of all time. Crabs just has a knack for plucking the ball at the perfect point relative to the defender. No bobble, immediately secured to his forearm, then midsection. It really is amazing to watch.

I sure hope we re-sign him, because his career is going to be wonderful to watch. He has a chance to be an all-time great.
Originally posted by Furlow:

Michael Crabtree has better hands than Jerry Rice. Yes I said it. And Jerry Rice is my favorite player in any sport of all time. Crabs just has a knack for plucking the ball at the perfect point relative to the defender. No bobble, immediately secured to his forearm, then midsection. It really is amazing to watch.

I sure hope we re-sign him, because his career is going to be wonderful to watch. He has a chance to be an all-time great.

I am curious to see what other Niner fans will think of your statement.

Crabtree may have stronger hands, allowing him to be a better 'hands catcher' than Rice. But Rice was constantly open because he would run the most precise routes of anyone, and his work ethic was unparalleled.

I don't think it's a stretch to think Crabs is on that level.

Being the best hands doesn't necessarily mean you're a great receiver. The best hands I've seen are Reggie Wayne and Cris Carter... both of which are really good, but not all time greats.
I don't even think that Crabs has the best hands of all ACTIVE receivers (Fitz would have a couple of things to say about that) much less those of HOFers like Carter. But he does have some serious vice-like grip on the ball.

Harbaugh just talks hyperbole, which works great in pumping up the team. Do you remember the "Clutch! Clutch!" speech about Smith after the Detroit game in '11? Or Alex being a Pro Bowler? It's the same as his talk about Kaep today, who after all had a nice, though not amazing, game winning drive like so many others in NFL history. He's a coach, not a historian. His job is to get his players to be confident and perform - he couldn't care less who's really the greatest ever.

I saw every game Jerry played in his entire career, and I agree. Jerry was all around better in every other measurable, but Crabtree has Chris Carter hands.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by paulk205:
I don't even think that Crabs has the best hands of all ACTIVE receivers (Fitz would have a couple of things to say about that) much less those of HOFers like Carter. But he does have some serious vice-like grip on the ball.

Harbaugh just talks hyperbole, which works great in pumping up the team. Do you remember the "Clutch! Clutch!" speech about Smith after the Detroit game in '11? Or Alex being a Pro Bowler? It's the same as his talk about Kaep today, who after all had a nice, though not amazing, game winning drive like so many others in NFL history. He's a coach, not a historian. His job is to get his players to be confident and perform - he couldn't care less who's really the greatest ever.

Who's Alex?
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
It's a totally different game with him out there.

he is simply a true #1 and makes it so that the defense just cannot take everything away.

This. He will make a big difference on Sunday!
Any 49er fan that is objective will admit that Jerry Rice did not have the best hands of all time. What made Jerry the G.O.A.T. was his insane work ethic, his stamina/conditioning, and crazy route running. It is what allowed him to excel even at 40+. I don't think Crabtree has the best hands ever, but I will give him that one trait over Jerry Rice.

Harbaugh was in no way saying crabs is the best reciever. He was pretty specific when saying pass catcher. Crabs efinitely has hands of glue but I think it was more of harbaugh being elated with the way the game ended. He couldn't stop grinning throughout the presser.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Any 49er fan that is objective will admit that Jerry Rice did not have the best hands of all time. What made Jerry the G.O.A.T. was his insane work ethic, his stamina/conditioning, and crazy route running. It is what allowed him to excel even at 40+. I don't think Crabtree has the best hands ever, but I will give him that one trait over Jerry Rice.
This.
Jerry Rice sat across Cris Carter and said best hands ever in football. Never said best receiver.. Crabs isn't Carter, but I would say he's better in that regard than Rice.
Jerry Rice and Cris Carter didn't wear gloves, especially not the kind that WRs wear these days.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
moved
[ Edited by susweel on Jan 7, 2014 at 9:39 AM ]
cris carter had great hands, but everytime i see a highlight on nfl network of him making a sideline catch, it doesnt look like his feet get down in bounds.
Share 49ersWebzone