LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Why don't we ever blitz?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by Shaj:
we sent the house on the play that Ponder got his TE in the end zone. strategy backfired, because we couldn't maintain coverage on the back end during the blitz

Whitner had great coverage. Offensive PI should have been called. Ponder made a horrible throw and got lucky

the real refs would have called a Pass interference, when you slap someone in the chest to create room for the catch ..that is pass interference
we sent the house on the play that Ponder got his TE in the end zone. strategy backfired, because we couldn't maintain coverage on the back end during the blitz

Whitner had great coverage. Offensive PI should have been called. Ponder made a horrible throw and got lucky

One on one's will go to the offense more often, especially PI. Gotta throw it for it to work though. Wish we threw it up a little more when there's one on one. I mean, it's not like we don't have Moss.
Originally posted by Joecool:

One on one's will go to the offense more often, especially PI. Gotta throw it for it to work though. Wish we threw it up a little more when there's one on one. I mean, it's not like we don't have Moss.

its all moot anyways, adrian peterson was running wide open in the end zone, ponder although he got a td to rudolph actually made the wrong read
cuz lord fangio is a puto

if we had just brought the house to ponder early in the game we woulda won
Originally posted by BayArea:
I am glad we don't do it often. Our secondary would get torched even more than they do now.

yeah cuz rodgers and stafford were just destroying our secondary deep.....LOL

the vikings played us well, they dinked and dunked us for long drives
They do blitz they just aren't good at it. Most of the time their blitzes are stonewalled.
Originally posted by Baldie:

You know who was on him? Aldon. I've noticed that Aldon sometimes has trouble trying to keep up with TE's and RB's coming out of the backfield. Maybe its me, but I think he excels at pass rushing because he's strong and can bull rush anyone and once he gets to the QB he uses his length to get to the QB and wrap him up. When you seem him running down QB's, RB's, and/or TE's it just seems like they are just faster than he is.

In short we all undervalued Parys and the effect of Aldon playing the position for the 1st time. We just assumed Aldon wouldn't skip a beat when in reality he's more than likely to take a step back due to the learning curve. Aldon having to cover Rudolph was a great play call on Minnesota's side.
Originally posted by lamontb:
They do blitz they just aren't good at it. Most of the time their blitzes are stonewalled.
Originally posted by Baldie:

You know who was on him? Aldon. I've noticed that Aldon sometimes has trouble trying to keep up with TE's and RB's coming out of the backfield. Maybe its me, but I think he excels at pass rushing because he's strong and can bull rush anyone and once he gets to the QB he uses his length to get to the QB and wrap him up. When you seem him running down QB's, RB's, and/or TE's it just seems like they are just faster than he is.

In short we all undervalued Parys and the effect of Aldon playing the position for the 1st time. We just assumed Aldon wouldn't skip a beat when in reality he's more than likely to take a step back due to the learning curve. Aldon having to cover Rudolph was a great play call on Minnesota's side.

So this. Eff it! Let's go 4-3 with Willis at Will, Bowman at Mike and Aldon at RDE with no coverage resonsibility.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by BayArea:
I am glad we don't do it often. Our secondary would get torched even more than they do now.

yeah cuz rodgers and stafford were just destroying our secondary deep.....LOL

the vikings played us well, they dinked and dunked us for long drives

Oh because giving teams more opportunities to dink and dunk us would be a good idea.
We blitz plenty, but I don't believe we send Brooks enough. I always see Aldon bringing the heat, but why not unleash Brooks? They're always hyping Brooks.
[ Edited by zomg_its_ryan on Sep 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:

I didn't! I tried to warn you guys... LOL

Are you serious? We completely dominated with our front 4 against the Packers and Lions. It wasn't our front 4 that failed us. Ponder was getting rid of the ball quick on Sunday and our DBs did nothing to stop it. Tarell Brown was a massive disappointment against MIN and he needs to step it up. Also hate me if you want, but Willis and Bowman had a bad day in coverage. Our front 4 was good as always. Doesn't matter how good your pass rush is if guys are immediately getting open.

Also anyone who said the Parys Haralson injury wasn't big knows nothing about football. It has a massive effect on this football team. Aldon has to stay out there every snap. Sealing the edge, not getting breathers, chasing down running backs downfield, covering TEs and RBs on play action. There's a ton of responsibility to that and anyone who thought Aldon would succeed off his talent alone was just fooling themselves. Aldon's been solid but our D would be so much better with Haralson in the mix.
[ Edited by SmileyJetson on Sep 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM ]
Originally posted by SmileyJetson:
Are you serious? We completely dominated with our front 4 against the Packers and Lions. It wasn't our front 4 that failed us. Ponder was getting rid of the ball quick on Sunday and our DBs did nothing to stop it. Tarell Brown was a massive disappointment against MIN and he needs to step it up. Also hate me if you want, but Willis and Bowman had a bad day in coverage. Our front 4 was good as always. Doesn't matter how good your pass rush is if guys are immediately getting open.

Also anyone who said the Parys Haralson injury wasn't big knows nothing about football. It has a massive effect on this football team. Aldon has to stay out there every snap. Sealing the edge, not getting breathers, chasing down running backs downfield, covering TEs and RBs on play action. There's a ton of responsibility to that and anyone who thought Aldon would succeed off his talent alone was just fooling themselves. Aldon's been solid but our D would be so much better with Haralson in the mix.

Yep. Good post.

.. and I counted 7 blitzes from us in the first half.. problem generally is, when we blitz? our DBs and even LBs play sissy-soft cushions that make a quick dump-off target very open for the QB to defeat that extra rush coming at him.

Doesn't really matter, AP was wide open about 10 yards to the left.
if anything..it seems like our LBs' aren't as dominant. Like where is willis? has bowman completely passed him up? he's dwarfing him in tackles and plays...
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
if anything..it seems like our LBs' aren't as dominant. Like where is willis? has bowman completely passed him up? he's dwarfing him in tackles and plays...

Willis has most definitely NOT been at the top of his game this year. I've noticed that too, especially for the little time he was on the field against GB.
Share 49ersWebzone