LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

• Jiks
Maybe if we would have drafted someone else 4 years ago Alex would have had a true #1 WR to throw to. Instead we've waited 4 years for a guy to participate in 0-12 preseason games. I blame Crabtree for ruining this franchise.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Maybe if we would have drafted someone else 4 years ago Alex would have had a true #1 WR to throw to. Instead we've waited 4 years for a guy to participate in 0-12 preseason games. I blame Crabtree for ruining this franchise.

Let's trade him fro Darrius Heyward Bey
Not a overall bust, he does put up decent to good numbers, but for the 10th pick, yes he is a bust. It seems he hates Training Camp and Preseason. Where as a vet like Randy Moss seems like he enjoys practicing and playing in preseason.

So far the 09 class looks really bad, only Crabtree and Jean Francois remain, as bad as 08, with only Larry Grant left, and he may be gone.
He is not a bust but is playing like a 2nd or 3rd rounder and I don't see much of an upside.

He will never have the speed and quickness to be a #1 wr in the NFL.

Still if he improves his work ethic I think he could be a very solid #2 which would be great for our team.

Hope so.
I'm thinking he just doesn't want to be a 49er. I think he is just waiting until he can jump ship and be a Cowboy.
Who?
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Considering the expectations and where he was drafted, he's absolutely a bust. He was highly touted as a game-changer and once-a-decade type talent at WR.
He's far from that.

• He has missed every training camp thus far in his career.
  • He's a marginal number 2 receiver.
  • He, in no way, makes his QB better.
  • He never makes game-changing plays.
  • Pretty sure his best statistical games are against very poor teams.

The worst part of Crab's are the last two bullets. When you don't really need him to (or it's not a crucial part of the game) he'll make a decent play or two.

But when it's a big time game or a big moment in a game he absolutely DISAPPEARS.

I had very high hopes for him and those expectations were readjusted after last season. I felt that adding Moss would light a fire and make him better by taking coverage away from him, but with another injury and a crowded WR corps. his time in SF could be limited.Which I think he wouldn't mind, because he's never shown a passion for the game or for being a 49er.
this post is laughable

How insightful. Please feel free to elaborate on that claim and tell me where I'm wrong.
How can a bust be someone who is 24 and had 72 Receptions and 874 Yards? So he didn't come up clutch in the post season. Neither did Barry Bonds well into his career. Good things come to those who wait sometimes.
No he is not a bust. When healthy he is an above average receiver capable of putting up 1000 yard seasons in a mediocre passing offense.

However, he is fragile. Constantly getting nicked up. This results in frequent missed practices and playing regular season games at less than 100%. I think we will get a good year out of him, but I don't think we should even think about extending his contract unless he starts all 16 games and plays well.
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Considering the expectations and where he was drafted, he's absolutely a bust. He was highly touted as a game-changer and once-a-decade type talent at WR.
He's far from that.

The worst part of Crab's are the last two bullets. When you don't really need him to (or it's not a crucial part of the game) he'll make a decent play or two.

But when it's a big time game or a big moment in a game he absolutely DISAPPEARS.

I had very high hopes for him and those expectations were readjusted after last season. I felt that adding Moss would light a fire and make him better by taking coverage away from him, but with another injury and a crowded WR corps. his time in SF could be limited.Which I think he wouldn't mind, because he's never shown a passion for the game or for being a 49er.

Sorry but this is a team game. Our past head coaches and OC's were horrible.Nobody succeeded in our vanilla offense. Frank Gore was the only one who did well all those years and it's fair to say RB usually can put up good numbers despite a horrible offense -- here's looking at you MJD.

I am one of Crabs biggest critics. Although I haven't given up on him and therefore won't call him a bust. A bust is broken and can't be fixed. I think he can turn into that WR we all wanted in the beginning. The offensive minded coach is here now all he has to do is stay healthy.
VD tied the record for most TD's in a season by a TE (since broken by Gronk) with Singletary at the helm.

Yes, it's true that not many succeeded in those offenses but two of our most talented did. If Crabs was that good, he would have shone above it, and he certainly would have done better last year with Harbaugh.

I can certainly be proven wrong this season and I'm hoping I am, but once I got wind of this injury he just seems too fragile and not talented enough to achieve anything beyond decency.

Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
He's far from that.

this post is laughable

How insightful. Please feel free to elaborate on that claim and tell me where I'm wrong.
pretty much the whole post, youre welcome
  • Jiks
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Let's trade him fro Darrius Heyward Bey
We don't want Alex being tooo good. DHB is NFL talent, not some Pop Warner(ages 2-4) player like Crabtwigankle.
Most of this thread is comical. A bust after 3 years? Yet we have a QB who didnt do a damn thing for his first 6.....ohhh forget it.

The hypocrisy on this board is astounding.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Aug 3, 2012 at 2:44 PM ]
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Most of this thread is comical. A bust after 3 years? Yet we have a QB who didnt do a damn thing for his first 6.....ohhh forget it.

The hypocrisy on this board is astounding.

SUPER THIS.
VD tied the record for most TD's in a season by a TE (since broken by Gronk) with Singletary at the helm.

Yes, it's true that not many succeeded in those offenses but two of our most talented did. If Crabs was that good, he would have shone above it, and he certainly would have done better last year with Harbaugh.

I can certainly be proven wrong this season and I'm hoping I am, but once I got wind of this injury he just seems too fragile and not talented enough to achieve anything beyond decency.

I give credit where credit is due. You make a good point. But I don't think VD's success necessarily negates Crabtrees lack of performance.
Share 49ersWebzone