There are 149 users in the forums

Why do you love the niners?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As niner fans, the most painful portion of the offseason is upon us....six weeks with no real news on our club. But , even during this time, I love coming to the forums and looking for stories, something about my team. So, how about we swap stories about how / why / when we came to love this team.

Here's mine: Moved around a ton as a kid. So, no home town team. When I first starting watching football was in the mid-eighties. Fell in love with beauty of Montana to Rice as a kid. So, I adopted the niners as my team. Wherever I moved, lots of things were new and unpredictable. But I could always count on my niners kicking the local team's ass. The love just grew over the years. I even decided when I graduated highschool to move out to San Francisco based entirely on the desire to be close to the team. So, I did! And I've have been a season ticketholder for 10 years this year.

What's your story?
[ Edited by Robert on Jun 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM ]
  • darum
  • Veteran
Grew up in South Bend, IN and have had season tickets to Notre Dame games since I was 5. My first memories of the NFL are of Joe Montana. Nuff said.
Originally posted by darum:
Grew up in South Bend, IN and have had season tickets to Notre Dame games since I was 5. My first memories of the NFL are of Joe Montana. Nuff said.

Very cool! I am the reverse. Loved Montana in the NFL. Heard he went to Notre Dame. So, I started rooting for the Irish!
Moved around also but was born and spent the majority of my childhood in the north-bay. We lived on a ranch and had limited entertainment--no TV, pre computer age, too far to walk to the movies, etc. But we had radios and listened to the 9ers, Warriors, and Giants whenever possible. We could listen as we tossed around a ball or worked and the teams became ingrained as an important part of my childhood. SF was lucky to have some very good teams--though no championships until the Warriors in the early seventies.

As an adult, I enjoyed the Warriors success in the seventies and then the niner's in the eighties. Now the Giants have won it all and life is good. The bay area is lucky to have these teams plus the A's, Raiders, major college programs and much more. When you consider our sports per population I think we lead the nation as fans.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
cause I was born in Cal
God told me to love the Niners. Who am I to go against Gods will?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I'm just here for the "dat ass" thread in the parking lot. Sometimes hit wrong link and venture into Ninertalk by mistake.
Because my big brother said so.
Its all i know since 7 years old
I remember growing up in the early early 90's, I was a young in, sf and dal went at it every year for the right to the super bowl, that's when I fell in love with the red and gold, damn Deion kept us from another ring ! I remember my bro's party one November he turned 1 that year, that was the game niners killed dal in the regular season, jerry rice to a quick slant to the house, the route was on !!!!!! Ha ha memories

Originally posted by monsterzero789:
God told me to love the Niners. Who am I to go against Gods will?

Divine providence my friend that's what the niners are.

Personally a guy who grew up in San Jose turned me on to football in college. I never followed wasn't interested etc. he said "to follow a sport all you need is a team to follow". Lucky me it was the red n gold. What sux is I started following em the year we beat the giants epic playoff comeback. I mean....when you get a taste like that they coulda been in the wilderness for 20 years and I still would be die hard lol.
Born into it literally. My mom sat through the 1990 NFCCG at 7 months pregnant. i've been going to games since the 1991 season as a lap baby all the way through the present where I own my own seat at age 21 It's all I've ever known
Originally posted by Robert:
As niner fans, the most painful portion of the offseason is upon us....six weeks with no real news on our club. But , even during this time, I love coming to the forums and looking for stories, something about my team. So, how about we swap stories about how / why / when we came to love this team.

Here's mine: Moved around a ton as a kid. So, no home town team. When I first starting watching football was in the mid-eighties. Fell in love with beauty of Montana to Rice as a kid. So, I adopted the niners as my team. Wherever I moved, lots of things were new and unpredictable. But I could always count on my niners kicking the local team's ass. The love just grew over the years. I even decided when I graduated highschool to move out to San Francisco based entirely on the desire to be close to the team. So, I did! And I've have been a season ticketholder for 10 years this year.

What's your story?

Btw that desire to move just for the team is something I understand tremendously. watching a game in candlestick was my dream....guess I'll have to be happy with the museum at the new stadium.

Watching Y.A. Tittle play the position, his bootleg was a thing of beauty. John Brodie throwing the most beautiful spiral in the NFL. Joe Montana coming out of the huddle and looking over the defense before taking the snap. Steve Young fighting for every yard. Coach Walsh leading the team on the field before the Super Bowl. Watching Tommy Hart and Cedric Hardman getting to the QB. And on and on and on.
Share 49ersWebzone