LISTEN: 49ers Master The Later Rounds Of The Draft →

There are 157 users in the forums

Ted Ginn Jr. could be in danger of being cut.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Anyone care to comment on this post of mine? Do you expect a guy to be a good PR when he hasn't attempted one in over a year?

I think your view is very fair... while I also understand the anger (pain) that others still feel over KW's errors. If our coaches choose to re-insert as our k/p returner at some point, I will respect that and wish the best for KW and us all. For THIS season and our SB shot? Please give me Ginn back there, though. It's just SO risky to put KW there right now.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Anyone care to comment on this post of mine? Do you expect a guy to be a good PR when he hasn't attempted one in over a year?

I think your view is very fair... while I also understand the anger (pain) that others still feel over KW's errors. If our coaches choose to re-insert as our k/p returner at some point, I will respect that and wish the best for KW and us all. For THIS season and our SB shot? Please give me Ginn back there, though. It's just SO risky to put KW there right now.

I agree. I would keep ginn back there as well, while making sure williams, cox etc get plenty attempts in practice. BUT if it came down to keeping one or the other, and one needs to be cut, i choose KW all day.

I agree. I would keep ginn back there as well, while making sure williams, cox etc get plenty attempts in practice. BUT if it came down to keeping one or the other, and one needs to be cut, i choose KW all day.

The thing that rubs me the wrong way is this... Having 6 wideouts on the roster... one of them is gonna have to be inactive and rather useless barring an injury or two. Ginn has to be active to return kicks... so what's left? Sounds like if we keep KW, he would just be inactive for the most part anyway? I don't see our 1st rounder being inactive... so...

(or am I missing something here?)

The thing that rubs me the wrong way is this... Having 6 wideouts on the roster... one of them is gonna have to be inactive and rather useless barring an injury or two. Ginn has to be active to return kicks... so what's left? Sounds like if we keep KW, he would just be inactive for the most part anyway? I don't see our 1st rounder being inactive... so...

(or am I missing something here?)

IMO you have to let the rookie sit and be inactive. If moss is as advertised he wont see the field much anyways. Early in the season he should be the inactive unless he shows that he can move up the depth chart fast. By midseason who knows. Also i have a hard time thinking our WR's will remain healthy 100% of the season. I would rather have to decide who is inactive than have the fiasco we had last year with nobodys playing.
No just a fan that noticed his real potential in the slot as a WR and feel its silly to condemn him for a mistake he made at a position that he shouldnt have been placed into in the first place. You do not place a guy that hadnt attempted a PR in over a season, november 2010 to be exact, into one of the toughet positions in football in the biggest game for the team in the last decade. That was a coaching blunder.

But it still doesnt change the fact that Ginn was less than stellar early on. I cant seem to find the exact fumble #'s, if anyone can post them please do so, but its something like 6 fumbles in 36 Attempts for miami. (the attempt # is for sure correct, uncertain on exact fumble #'s again if anyone can help there)

people want to pick and choose what to comment on, and only compare ginns last season with KW's two returns in the championship. Its not a fair comparison and we all know it.

We're not talking about potential here. We need a competent returner back there now. And Ginn is one of the best in the NFL. Whether he had any problems with fumbling earlier in his career is insignificant to us. He didn't cost his team a Superbowl berth with his mistakes. If we have the luxury of keeping Kyle Williams around as an extra receiver, fine. But we just drafted A.J. Jenkins and signed Mario Manningham, who are similar body types and potentially similar receivers. We have a Superbowl hero, and then a 1st round draft pick. Kyle Williams had a Dominique Zeigler type season last year. Some moments of excitement, but he's certainly not a focus right now.
i dont know where you got that info, but i would like a link. Everything that i have seen states he has 98 total career punt return attempts. 62 of which have been while he has been here in SF. He did not become a good punt returner over night.

also KW only has 5 punt return att. and only had the 2 last season. What do you expect. PR is a highly specialized position that takes ton of attempts to get good at. You dont just stick a guy that hadent handled a punt all year into that position in the biggest game of the decade for the team and expect miracles.

Sorry I combined both kicks and punts 223+98. Kyle Williams returned plenty of kicks at ASU and he choked their as well so save the inexperience s**t. He is not a returner and never will be
A ziegler type performance???? LOL. Look i liked zeigler, but that comment just throw all your credibility out the window.

zieglers best year with us 2010 he had in 10 GP..... 9 receptions for 98 yards. A 10.9 average with no TD's and a long of 20. 5 FD's

No compare KW's season last year in 13 GP....
20 receptions, for 241 yards. A 12.1 average with 3 TD's, 14 FD"s and a long of 56.

Yea those are similar seasons...

Also stop comparing Manningham and AJ to KW. they are nothing alike.
No just a fan that noticed his real potential in the slot as a WR and feel its silly to condemn him for a mistake he made at a position that he shouldnt have been placed into in the first place. You do not place a guy that hadnt attempted a PR in over a season, november 2010 to be exact, into one of the toughet positions in football in the biggest game for the team in the last decade. That was a coaching blunder.

But it still doesnt change the fact that Ginn was less than stellar early on. I cant seem to find the exact fumble #'s, if anyone can post them please do so, but its something like 6 fumbles in 36 Attempts for miami. (the attempt # is for sure correct, uncertain on exact fumble #'s again if anyone can help there)

people want to pick and choose what to comment on, and only compare ginns last season with KW's two returns in the championship. Its not a fair comparison and we all know it.

i agree with your point
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
i dont know where you got that info, but i would like a link. Everything that i have seen states he has 98 total career punt return attempts. 62 of which have been while he has been here in SF. He did not become a good punt returner over night.

also KW only has 5 punt return att. and only had the 2 last season. What do you expect. PR is a highly specialized position that takes ton of attempts to get good at. You dont just stick a guy that hadent handled a punt all year into that position in the biggest game of the decade for the team and expect miracles.

Sorry I combined both kicks and punts 223+98. Kyle Williams returned plenty of kicks at ASU and he choked their as well so save the inexperience s**t. He is not a returner and never will be

You totally dodged Ginn's early career #'s as a PR I posted his attempts in Miami. 60 something of his attempts came in SF. He only became a great return man since his time in SF, and could have just as easily been out of the league a year later. He was on hsi way out of the league when we traded for him. Your right, at this point KW is not a PR , as evidenced by him not returning a punt in over a year, BUT he has potential that can be developed with the help of our great special teams coach. He also looked pretty good at KR Keep dodging the fact that Ginn was BENCHED from the position because of his troubles there. The point is its a skill that takes develpment, and then continuous practice, to become a PR on the highest level.

Lets all forget about his great Kickoff return that he had in that game as well, or the block he put on will smith against the saints to spring alex on the bootleg. Lets forget that our entire offense besides VD and alex were awful against the giants..
Originally posted by Psinex:
We're not talking about potential here. We need a competent returner back there now. And Ginn is one of the best in the NFL. Whether he had any problems with fumbling earlier in his career is insignificant to us. He didn't cost his team a Superbowl berth with his mistakes. If we have the luxury of keeping Kyle Williams around as an extra receiver, fine. But we just drafted A.J. Jenkins and signed Mario Manningham, who are similar body types and potentially similar receivers. We have a Superbowl hero, and then a 1st round draft pick. Kyle Williams had a Dominique Zeigler type season last year. Some moments of excitement, but he's certainly not a focus right now.

A ziegler type performance???? LOL. Look i liked zeigler, but that comment just throw all your credibility out the window.

zieglers best year with us 2010 he had in 10 GP..... 9 receptions for 98 yards. A 10.9 average with no TD's and a long of 20. 5 FD's

Now compare KW's season last year in 13 GP....20 receptions, for 241 yards. A 12.1 average with 3 TD's, 14 FD"s and a long of 56.Yea those are similar seasons...

Also stop comparing Manningham and AJ to KW. they are nothing alike.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Jun 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM ]

You totally dodged Ginn's early career #'s as a PR I posted his attempts in Miami. 60 something of his attempts came in SF. He only became a great return man since his time in SF, and could have just as easily been out of the league a year later. He was on hsi way out of the league when we traded for him. Your right, at this point KW is not a PR , as evidenced by him not returning a punt in over a year, BUT he has potential that can be developed with the help of our great special teams coach. He also looked pretty good at KR Keep dodging the fact that Ginn was BENCHED from the position because of his troubles there. The point is its a skill that takes develpment, and then continuous practice, to become a PR on the highest level.

Lets all forget about his great Kickoff return that he had in that game as well, or the block he put on will smith against the saints to spring alex on the bootleg. Lets forget that our entire offense besides VD and alex were awful against the giants..

at the bolded

What was the score before Williams kneed the ball in the NFCCG? Just curious
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

at the bolded

What was the score before Williams kneed the ball in the NFCCG? Just curious

Laugh all you want but its fact. Anyways keep dodging, your good at it. You come in a post totally false stats, which i debunk, then you only comment on personal opinions, which we are all entitled to, and ignore the facts placed before you. You obviously never watched Ginn in miami.

Im getting used to your posts. They always add sooo much to the discussion.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Jun 28, 2012 at 7:52 PM ]
Laugh all you want but its fact. Anyways keep dodging, your good at it. You come in a post totally false stats, which i debunk, then you only comment on personal opinions, which we are all entitled to, and ignore the facts placed before you. You obviously never watched Ginn in miami.

Im getting used to your posts. They always add sooo much to the discussion.

i don't post any totally false stats Ginn 98 PR's (fact) 223 KR's (fact) Ginn lost 6 fumbles (Fact)
Williams 5 punts (fact) 8 kicks (fact) lost 2 fumbles (fact)

More facts for you that debunk the fact that Ginn was on his way out of the league

2007- 9th in punt returns
2010- the year he was about to be run out of the league he was 3rd
2011- 4th (actually worse than the year you said he was about to be run out of the league)

2007- 3rd in kick/punt return yards
2009- 7th
2011- 6th

Ginn was obviously terrible in Miami I could go on for days

Here's your link which according to you is totally false
http://www.pro-football-reference.com

add enough to the discussion?
[ Edited by sincalfaithful on Jun 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM ]
Yea Ginn was always a good return man. It's just that Miami couldn't justify that being a top ten pick. Niners got exactly what they were wanting out of him with the trade. He is immensely more valuable to this team than KW.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Yea Ginn was always a good return man. It's just that Miami couldn't justify that being a top ten pick. Niners got exactly what they were wanting out of him with the trade. He is immensely more valuable to this team than KW.

This Ginn was never a top 10 pick but a premier return man is his gig
Share 49ersWebzone