LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

ESPN's QBR Hating against Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but Alex Smith's QBR for the year was 46.4, however when you look up his individual games, his week 5 game against Tampa Bay which is a 97 if I remember correctly is missing, but his week 12 game against Baltimore is counted twice #49 and #53, looks like for all the NFC West Qb's there worst games are counted twice which I think would push Alex up the list quite a bit if you take a 15.8 game out and add in a 97

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr/_/type/player-game/group/3

Link to back me up, told ESPN about it, still haven't recieved word on if they're going to fix it
Making that change would up his rating to 51.5. Enough for 17th place on that list.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
poor alex he's always getting picked on
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

some people are just trying to give him credit where credit is due to counter the group that is always trying to negate any positive thing he has ever done

It's not just Alex, you'll notice it's all the NFC West QB's Stats that are like that
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by cciowa:

some people are just trying to give him credit where credit is due to counter the group that is always trying to negate any positive thing he has ever done

Chico the stats chico, the stats never lie my friend.

Well statistics are easily manipulated.
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Originally posted by darkknight49:

Yes, when you double the bad and forget the good!

yes stats can be manipulated...
Alex does have to improve. Sus is right. The stats don't lie but with improved help at RB and WR I expect him to build off of last season and make it even harder for people to criticize him next season. If not... lets hope someone steps up quick. As of now we don't have anyone better on the roster.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Alex does have to improve. Sus is right. The stats don't lie but with improved help at RB and WR I expect him to build off of last season and make it even harder for people to criticize him next season. If not... lets hope someone steps up quick. As of now we don't have anyone better on the roster.

I think Smith has improved a great deal last year but I also think he is probably close hitting his ceiling right now. I dont think he can play much better than he did last year.

I think Smith has improved a great deal last year but I also think he is probably close hitting his ceiling right now. I dont think he can play much better than he did last year.

Any particular reason for this thinking that you can share?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Any particular reason for this thinking that you can share?

Not an aggressive player, and also lacks trust in his arm strength (maybe damaged goods from his shoulder injuries).

play it safe type of player, struggles when forced improvise when a play breaks down.
I think Smith's ceiling is Eli Manning level in that he's never going to blow you away with stats but is quietly productive and gets the job done. Whether he lives up to that ceiling or not is the million dollar question.

As far as QBR goes it's just another bogus stat that doesn't tell the whole story. I feel football in general needs a major overhaul in stat keeping because right now it's flawed and the best judge of how a player or team is doing is the eyeball test.

mostly by our fans.
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
I think Smith's ceiling is Eli Manning level in that he's never going to blow you away with stats but is quietly productive and gets the job done. Whether he lives up to that ceiling or not is the million dollar question.

As far as QBR goes it's just another bogus stat that doesn't tell the whole story. I feel football in general needs a major overhaul in stat keeping because right now it's flawed and the best judge of how a player or team is doing is the eyeball test.

It's SO bad. These "official" stats are a joke on ESPN and NFL.com. They couldn't be further from the truth on many accounts such as tackles, TFL, etc. This is why each team keeps their OWN stats but the NFL should be embarrassed as what they produce and need to take more of a PFF-approach to keeping stats (b/c I have no idea where the NFL is getting these "official" stats").
Share 49ersWebzone