There are 212 users in the forums

Fan perception of Harbaugh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think Harbaugh is doing an exceptional job. Things like the qbs all seemed to have progressed and have enough reps and the team has enough time to refine other skills unlike the previous coaches who did not have even the starters at the competent stage. I am anxious to see just how good the backups are in preseason. I believe the quality is there but if they excel, it will say a lot about the coaches. I was surprised that they did not go with a big DL earlier in the draft. It infers the backups must be at least comparable to those earlier picks. When you can get guys as udfa pickups the scouts and Baalke and Co. must be doing a hell of a job. No coach who whips your ass is all that popular with opposing teams. Walsh was always denigrated as a soft coach and his (ego or self confidence) pissed off the so called tough teams. Harbaugh beat teams largely by pounding them into losing and I am sure guys like the Lions etc got humbled, not a good sign if that is your mantra. It is pretty evident the niners have some good coaches.
Originally posted by prometheus:
I think Harbaugh is doing an exceptional job. Things like the qbs all seemed to have progressed and have enough reps and the team has enough time to refine other skills unlike the previous coaches who did not have even the starters at the competent stage. I am anxious to see just how good the backups are in preseason. I believe the quality is there but if they excel, it will say a lot about the coaches. I was surprised that they did not go with a big DL earlier in the draft. It infers the backups must be at least comparable to those earlier picks. When you can get guys as udfa pickups the scouts and Baalke and Co. must be doing a hell of a job. No coach who whips your ass is all that popular with opposing teams. Walsh was always denigrated as a soft coach and his (ego or self confidence) pissed off the so called tough teams. Harbaugh beat teams largely by pounding them into losing and I am sure guys like the Lions etc got humbled, not a good sign if that is your mantra. It is pretty evident the niners have some good coaches.

It is a great time to be a 9er fan! I think they might have to cut some very good players this year, perhaps even a good DL. So am not too worried. They should look for another NT one of these days but perhaps they are creating one through development...as they are doing with many other positions. It's been so long since we've actually had consistent development of players I hardly recognized it last year.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
f*ggot Schwartz was laughing at Harbaugh earlier in the game and talking s**t. Then he had to whine like a b***h because he couldn't handle a handshake like a man after Alex Smith delivered a strike on 4th and goal for the go-ahead score.

Week 2 home opener we're cracking skulls

Love this
Originally posted by montana9er:
f*ggot Schwartz was laughing at Harbaugh earlier in the game and talking s**t. Then he had to whine like a b***h because he couldn't handle a handshake like a man after Alex Smith delivered a strike on 4th and goal for the go-ahead score.

Love this

Love Harbaugh! Love being hated. Feels like the good old days are here again. Bring it on NFL cry babies!
I believe the OP is referring to NFL fans' perception of Harbaugh, not 49ers' fans.

Harbaugh is a punk, but that is not illegal, nor a problem for a franchise. Unless the guy is breaking the law, it doesn't matter how many points he scores on the likability scale. In the NFL, it is all about winning. Now, if players begin to turn on him, then that is another issue. But, there is no indication that is the case. Winning solves everything. If he starts to lose, then fans will turn against him. Bill Walsh was considered a punk by many as well, but the guy simply won.

As for Harbaugh scrambling to create a revisionist history of what happened with Manning and Smith, it is ridiculous. Everyone knows he actively pursued Peyton. And, why not? If you have one of the all-time greats sitting there on the open market, you have to make a run after him. As much as I like Alex Smith the person and competitor, to not actively pursue Mannng would be silly. Harbaugh should have simply not addressed the issue with the media.

In the end, would we like to win, and also have a classy, likable coach? Sure. But I think 49ers fans would gladly have a guy on their sidelines that is not well liked, but wins games.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:57 AM ]
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:
Originally posted by montana9er:

Love this

Love Harbaugh! Love being hated. Feels like the good old days are here again. Bring it on NFL cry babies!

Im down with it!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

As for Harbaugh scrambling to create a revisionist history of what happened with Manning and Smith, it is ridiculous. Everyone knows he actively pursued Peyton. And, why not? If you have one of the all-time greats sitting there on the open market, you have to make a run after him. As much as I like Alex Smith the person and competitor, to not actively pursue Mannng would be silly. Harbaugh should have simply not addressed the issue with the media.

Unless his goal in addressing the media was not to clarify the issue or put it to rest, but rather to perpetuate his aura of inscrutability. In short, they never know what he's thinking or what he's going to say, he likes it that way, and he's going to keep doing stuff to keep it going.
After watching an NFL Network two part special on Belichick, I've grown to really like the guy.

Maybe some people will feel that way about Harbaugh when they get to see and hear the behind the scenes with the players. My friend in NY still can't get over him being a good coach.....is still convinced the '11 team was a product of SING.
Giving someone a Pete Carroll is synonymous with giving a blow job, but only when it is given with the intent of gaining something in return. As in, the only reason football players go to USC is because Pete Carroll blows all of his potential recruits.

Pete Carroll gives all of his football recruits Pete Carrolls, so they attend the s**ttiest university in the USA.

I found this funny as hell. Came from an urban dictionary definition. lol
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Unless his goal in addressing the media was not to clarify the issue or put it to rest, but rather to perpetuate his aura of inscrutability. In short, they never know what he's thinking or what he's going to say, he likes it that way, and he's going to keep doing stuff to keep it going.

He said it to defend Alex vs Beason's twittering. It had nothing to do with the Media other than he used the media to send his message.

• Chico
  • Veteran
Harbaugh won my heart when he went into Dallas one year and yelled "How 'bout them Cowboys" after beating them and walking off the field!!!
Originally posted by Chico:
Harbaugh won my heart when he went into Dallas one year and yelled "How 'bout them Cowboys" after beating them and walking off the field!!!

lol... is there a clip of this?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
He said it to defend Alex vs Beason's twittering. It had nothing to do with the Media other than he used the media to send his message.
he has a reason why he does everything. There is no way in gods green earth, anyone can get inside of his head and figure out why he does things(there are to many people inside of him anyway!)But i do know he has a reason for everything he says and does. we do not know them and that is just fine with me
It's so funny to try and interpret the difference between evaluating and chasing! I'm not interested in buying the 9ers franchise but if they called me and said they thought they could make a deal work for me? Yeah, I could be there in a hurry...to evaluate the situation...or is that chasing an unknown? If Harbaugh wants to call it evaluating why question him? He evaluated until Manning signed with Denver did they put an offer on the table? I've seen speculation but no actual facts regarding an offer.

As for Harbaugh being a "punk" there are numerous definitions for punk and I am old enough to use the "immature kid" as my reference and that's not an accurate statement about JH. Harbaugh may be a punk in the sense of the 70s cultural definition--"to refuse to be type cast, indifferent to being liked." He may not be the nicest guy to outsiders but his players and coaches seem to like him a great deal...which is more important? When I watch Lowell Cohn ask Harbaugh one of his cute nonsense questions, I want to kick Cohn not JH.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM ]
This team has some good players now, so wins & losses determine how much I like the head coach. A good coach will be successful with this team, and a bad one will drag them down. So yes, so far I like Harbaugh based on that criteria.

As for personality & how he talks to the media - don't really care if he seems curt or short with people when he thinks someone is asking stupid questions. I can personally relate to the annoyance with busybodies that try to stir up 'drama' when there really isn't any. Over the years, media has become intrusive and pervasive going into more minutia than people are obligated to discuss with them. It is information overkill, and people who read it all & think they have to have an opinion over every trivial thing written on the Internet are probably the only ones bothered when someone doesn;t want to talk a lot to the press.
Share 49ersWebzone