Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 637 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread - RIP

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
I never thought this A.Smith would divide the fanbase too

Originally posted by VANiner:
Originally posted by rondoman:
Originally posted by VANiner:
Name a few for me. I'm not saying it has never happened, because I honestly don't know. I certainly can't recall an instance where someone was suspended for DUI prior to a conviction. I think a major part of the collective bargaining agreement limits sweeping actions the league can take based on less than a conviction. But I could be wrong, so educate me.


In April of 2007, Roger Goodell announced the implementation of his Personal Conduct Policy, suspending Pac-Man Jones for a full season and Chris Henry for eight games. That policy extended beyond requiring a criminal conviction, where any event that embarrassed or affected the league's reputation could be punished, even if the player was ultimately not punished by the law. In announcing it, Goodell laid out his thoughts:



"Illegal or irresponsible conduct does more than simply tarnish the offender. It puts innocent people at risk, sullies the reputation of others involved in the game, and undermines public respect and support for the NFL."While criminal activity is clearly outside the scope of permissible conduct, and persons who engage in criminal activity will be subject to discipline, the standard of conduct for persons employed in the NFL is considerably higher. It is not enough simply to avoid being found guilty of a crime. Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the league is based, and is lawful."Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime."
I applaud you for putting that together so quickly. My recollection of those instances are that DUI played no role in their suspensions. I actually think there was internet footage of Pac-Man punching a woman in the face. Different story than what we are dealing with here. I don't think DUI falls into the category above and also don't think I can remember anyone being suspended for DUI. Now if you want to play the totality of his past conduct card, that may be different. Perhaps this last accusation of DUI tips the scales toward suspension, but in reality, look at what his past behavior really has been: 1. He was the VICTIM of a stabbing at his own house; 2. He was the PASSENGER in a vehicle that rolled over (regardless of that driver was DUI); 3. He was convicted of RECKLESS DRIVING; and 4. He is the defendant in a CIVIL suit where someone decided to sue the richest guys at the party they got shot at. Based on that, I think the NFL waits on this one.

Yes I agree with you as well. Not saying it was pertaining to Aldon but the NFL has done it before and with people complaining and bringing up DUI more and more its a matter of time before ole Roger makes an example of somebody.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
I never thought this A.Smith would divide the fanbase too


This mother f**ker is a hot mess
Apparently under the CBA, the NFL has exclusive jurisdiction over drug violations, PED's, and personal conduct. If the 49ers were to suspend Aldon, the NFLPA I guess could file a grievance against the 49ers for infringing on the NFL's powers. We'll see how this all plays out.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,476
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I understand that, and I agree, but in all reality, money talks.

Would you listen to someone who makes less money than you, if they were giving advice about your career and future? Probably not. Unless they were already a close friend, and no, NFL teammates are not automatically "close friends".

The fair/unfair reality is, money, accolades etc, determine who the team leaders are. Aldon has more money and accolades than Boone.
Someone like Willis or Justin Smith, are probably people he is more likely to listen to.

Yes. Perhaps that's just me, though.

The amount of money doesn't matter. It's seeing the impact behavior had on Boone's paycheck.

Also, I think you assume too much about the relationships in the locker room. I don't think it's as simple as you make it sound. There have been many team leaders who were just special teams players.

I just think Boone would be a good person for Aldon to talk to because of his history and (IMO) personality.
Originally posted by 49ersking:
It seems like a double standard. If it was a lesser known or talented player, the 49ers would have most likely had their own disciplinary action. No one knows for sure.

There is the game, and then there are the bigger consequences of drunk diving. The law is there for a reason.

I just hope we win on Sunday!


If the law is there for a reason, then why can't the law take care of things?

If citizens can't determine a just punishment, then why does the NFL feel it needs to satisfy its customers, (the same customers who made the law) with further punishment?

It's like, "Well, that player got a speeding ticket. But we don't think that the state or federal law is sufficient, so we're going to fine them even further."

I find it ironic that NFL fans demand a "higher standard" from NFL players than they demand from themselves. It's actually kind of sad. It's like saying, "These are our HERO'S. Regular laws aren't good enough for them. They are good enough for us, but not for them, because they are supposed to be 'better' than us."

If citizens determine that a punishment is good enough for them, then why should they demand more from NFL players? They are just people. They aren't anything "better" or "worse" than anyone else, but with the NFL stepping in to augment the law, they are essentially saying that NFL players are "better" than the fans who watch the game.

All this corporate image crap, is stuff that I find ridiculous.
Idiot.....I guess we are going to see Lemonier for a few games this season. Aldon better pray he doesn't look as good in the role has he does.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Apparently under the CBA, the NFL has exclusive jurisdiction over drug violations, PED's, and personal conduct. If the 49ers were to suspend Aldon, the NFLPA I guess could file a grievance against the 49ers for infringing on the NFL's powers. We'll see how this all plays out.


All because "we", NFL fans, demand more from our hero's than we demand from our fellow citizens. Kind of sad.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Apparently under the CBA, the NFL has exclusive jurisdiction over drug violations, PED's, and personal conduct. If the 49ers were to suspend Aldon, the NFLPA I guess could file a grievance against the 49ers for infringing on the NFL's powers. We'll see how this all plays out.

This is true, though it doesn't come up often. Usually a team waits for the league to do something because they have a lot less power to discipline. That's why when a team sits a player they so often still get paid.
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch53s
#49ers CB Carlos Rogers said Jim Harbaugh discussed "being the type of person that you should be, on and off the field" before practice.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
  • Posts: 122,133
I swear sometimes some "niner fans" on this site make me sick. They want to see their own players get suspended. un real
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Apparently under the CBA, the NFL has exclusive jurisdiction over drug violations, PED's, and personal conduct. If the 49ers were to suspend Aldon, the NFLPA I guess could file a grievance against the 49ers for infringing on the NFL's powers. We'll see how this all plays out.

Last year, for example, the Steelers suspended defensive lineman Alameda Ta'amu after his DUI-related arrest. The NFLPA didn't file a grievance alleging that the team was infringing on the powers of the league office (and it was). The player, we were told at the time, didn't want to fight it. So if the player does not want to fight it and just accepts the teams punishment, that is ok.
Brian so you wouldn't have any problem with no suspensions had it have been say M Lynch that was busted for drunk driving you'd be ok with just letting him play? Or is this a Niners double standard.. As much as Im a Niners fan What Aldon did was STUPID What would have happened in his drunk state had he hit and killed a pedestrian? You think Aldon would be helping the Niners in any way... Aldon better learn mayb e he's not smart enough to learn from his mistake he's already involved in a party fiasco with their former TE...

People look up to NFL players... Why do you think the Pats DUMPED A Hernandez before he was even arrested. I realize Hernadez did something more violent in murdering a friend but Aldon could have gotten nailed with Drunken Homicide... Aldon was just Luck he hit a tree and not another car or pedestrian.
Originally posted by susweel:
I swear sometimes some "niner fans" on this site make me sick. They want to see their own players get suspended. un real

Really? Maybe you need to understand the situation a little more closely.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone