There are 238 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Almost any D player would be in a rotation easily. Any pick that comes in and looks better then the competition would play.

Oh? You seeing a lot of rotation on defense?

the talent is crap on the bench. Go look in the draft rooms, everybody is calling for fresh bodies to rotate

Well, that's indisputable evidence right there.
Almost any D player would be in a rotation easily. Any pick that comes in and looks better then the competition would play.

Oh? You seeing a lot of rotation on defense?

the talent is crap on the bench. Go look in the draft rooms, everybody is calling for fresh bodies to rotate

Well, that's indisputable evidence right there.
what would you like me to say? Dobbs and Tafuku are great backups? Haggins and the other guy are great options at OLB?
I don't really care about other teams. Is it really hurting the 49ers?

You say they should contribute. Why?

What if they don't see the field at all this year, but have a huge impact next year?

Again, it's too early to judge.
Is it helping? Has the passing game improved much? We couldn't use a shifty change of pace back?

Im worried about this year not next year.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
what would you like me to say? Dobbs and Tafuku are great backups? Haggins and the other guy are great options at OLB?

Dobbs and Tukuafu seem to be fine. Add in RJF and I'm not seeing a problem.

OLB? Using a little hindsight bias there, don't you think?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Is it helping? Has the passing game improved much? We couldn't use a shifty change of pace back?

Four games, Bro.

Four.

WAY too early.

Dobbs and Tukuafu seem to be fine. Add in RJF and I'm not seeing a problem.

OLB? Using a little hindsight bias there, don't you think?

Seem fine...they dont play. RJF is the only guy who gets into games. We have no quality depth this year and will have holes next year as well.

Go look at who takes # snaps and you tell me if Justin and Aldon should play 70 snaps?

The coaching staff is high on Dobbs and Tukuafu. Dobbs doubles as a TE and Tukuafu at FB. The team had a plan for them. There is a reason no d-lineman were drafted this year.

Injuries took our depth at OLB. Hindsight is 20/20. At the time we had Haralson and Fleming as the projected backups, which would have been quality depth.

Our depth is currently strong at RB & WR, but we have some aging players there. The team saw this and were looking at the future with the seletions of Jenkins and James. Gore will be 30 next season and in the last year of his deal. Jacobs is a FA. Moss will be 36 and a FA. Both Jenkins and James will be important parts of the future.

Four games, Bro.

Four.

WAY too early.

we will have this same conversation in a month
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Four games, Bro.

Four.

WAY too early.

we will have this same conversation in a month

Meeting is adjourned. Meet back here in 1 month to discuss the progress of your arguments.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
The coaching staff is high on Dobbs and Tukuafu. Dobbs doubles as a TE and Tukuafu at FB. The team had a plan for them. There is a reason no d-lineman were drafted this year.

Injuries took our depth at OLB. Hindsight is 20/20. At the time we had Haralson and Fleming as the projected backups, which would have been quality depth.

Our depth is currently strong at RB & WR, but we have some aging players there. The team saw this and were looking at the future with the seletions of Jenkins and James. Gore will be 30 next season and in the last year of his deal. Jacobs is a FA. Moss will be 36 and a FA. Both Jenkins and James will be important parts of the future.

Gore isnt a FA until 2015. Neither Dobbs or Tukuafu are the replacements for Smith. If we dont trust these guys to give RayMac or Smith an occasional breather it tells me we havent found rotational starters.

Gore isnt a FA until 2015. Neither Dobbs or Tukuafu are the replacements for Smith. If we dont trust these guys to give RayMac or Smith an occasional breather it tells me we havent found rotational starters.

My mistake, I thought Gore was a FA in 2014. As for Dobbs and Tukuafu not breaking into the d-line rotation, how do we know the coaching staff wants a rotation? Perhaps they want their starters to play all 3 downs for the duration of the game. Smith and McDonald are 2 of the best in the business. It's hard to take them off the field. A rotation would mean taking some meaningful snaps away from them.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Oct 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM ]

My mistake, I thought Gore was a FA in 2014. As for Dobbs and Tukuafu not breaking into the d-line rotation, how do we know the coaching staff wants a rotation? Perhaps they want their starters to play all 3 downs for the duration of the game. Smith and McDonald are 2 of the best in the business. It's hard to take them off the field. A rotation would mean taking some meaningful snaps away from them.
In games when the guys are gassed an occasional rest isn't bad. The Minnesota game was a prime example. Aldon and Justin were dragging because they never came off the field. The only way to keep constant pressure is having guys who can do it.

In games when the guys are gassed an occasional rest isn't bad. The Minnesota game was a prime example. Aldon and Justin were dragging because they never came off the field. The only way to keep constant pressure is having guys who can do it.

I agree with you on that. I'm just curious as to why we don't have one. Is it because the backups are inadequate, or is it because a rotation isn't part of the scheme? The media has asked Harbaugh and Fangio about this and they haven't really given a definitive answer.

I agree with you on that. I'm just curious as to why we don't have one. Is it because the backups are inadequate, or is it because a rotation isn't part of the scheme? The media has asked Harbaugh and Fangio about this and they haven't really given a definitive answer.
I would bet money on lack of talent. Neither has the ability to step into a starting role even in the short term. Only RJF has that ability and will be a FA along with Ice at the end of the year. So the primary backup at NT and DE will be a starter....think the Boone situation. Again I would bet we hit DE, NT, and OLB this year and the picks will be early. We like the current backups because we can use them at TE-FB-DL but its a way to save more spots on the roster. Its a smart idea but doesn't offer great potential at their primary spots. Think about it, they have roster spots because we can use them in other aspects, not because of their ability to play their first position well.
He would be 3rd string-Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon.

Where does Jacobs fit in then? I would much rather see a healthy Jacobs on the field than James at this point
Share 49ersWebzone