Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 728 users in the forums

Replacing Delanie Walker... Yes or No?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Replacing Delanie Walker... Yes or No?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Joecool:
And for a TE that has played in 50% of the offensive snaps, Walkers production is EASILY replaceable. In fact, his production needs to improve and could be a reason why we don't move the ball well in critical areas and critical downs.

Defense generally has one less guy to cover. Walker isn't intimidating in the slightest, not at 6 feet tall. If he's in there, you have to assume he's in there to block and if he goes out for a route, oh well, one of the most common sights was Walker running around in the end-zone, completely blanketed....what are you going to do, throw a jump ball to him??? Add a Fleener, Green or Egnew and now the defense's job gets measurably tougher because you still have to worry about Crabtree and Manningham/Moss, VD and now one more guy down there, that's tough.

But if that argument is correct, and Walker was blanketed, shouldn't someone else have been open?
Originally posted by mkmasn:
but you're replacing a #2 TE with a 1st round pick. also, you're not taking into account Walker was utilized as a blocker in the pass game as well as the run game.

If we draft a TE, it will be in later rounds, if only for the fact TE is not a glaring need.

If we draft Fleener, I hope he does as well as everyone says he will, but HONESTLY, do we really NEED him? I don't think so. With our upgraded receiver core, we could wait one more year to worry about TE. Hopefully with Byham back, Walker can be used as a receiver and he will have a stellar year. There's going to be ridiculous open field opportunities underneath this year, and I want to see how he does.

If you replace Norris with Fleener, I have no issue what so ever, I think his roster spot can be made up for grabs. So can Ginn, even Williams if you want to keep Ginn on the roster.

What the hell are you basing this off of? The guy is average at best, he went half the season without a catch and can't get separation against defensive backs......... but I do agree that he'd make for a damn good #3 TE in this offense.
Originally posted by mkmasn:
But if that argument is correct, and Walker was blanketed, shouldn't someone else have been open?

No......lol............not if you can cover Walker with a single safety which would be tough to do to Fleener and damn near impossible with VD.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Joecool:
And for a TE that has played in 50% of the offensive snaps, Walkers production is EASILY replaceable. In fact, his production needs to improve and could be a reason why we don't move the ball well in critical areas and critical downs.

Defense generally has one less guy to cover. Walker isn't intimidating in the slightest, not at 6 feet tall. If he's in there, you have to assume he's in there to block and if he goes out for a route, oh well, one of the most common sights was Walker running around in the end-zone, completely blanketed....what are you going to do, throw a jump ball to him??? Add a Fleener, Green or Egnew and now the defense's job gets measurably tougher because you still have to worry about Crabtree and Manningham/Moss, VD and now one more guy down there, that's tough.

I just don't understand how his blocking ability has all of a sudden improved when his entire time here, he was always our weakest blocking TE. I feel his blocking ability has more to do with ability to comprehend the system more than his physical ability.

He was a WR coming into the NFL and a very weak blocker as a TE. So weak that we had to use our best receiving target to stay in and be most responsible for blocking in Vernon.

Delanie is easily replaceable.
I honestly can't name very many moments he had that made him stick out.

There is one though.

The game winning catch against the lions still makes me love him. When I hear his name I imagine that knee of his sliding 1cm over the goal line and how awesome that was for him to make that play.

Kind of solidified my confidence in this team and was the first time I thought they were on their way to becoming great.

Other than that not to much else I can remember him doing.
Originally posted by BayArea:
I honestly can't name very many moments he had that made him stick out.

There is one though.

The game winning catch against the lions still makes me love him. When I hear his name I imagine that knee of his sliding 1cm over the goal line and how awesome that was for him to make that play.

Kind of solidified my confidence in this team and was the first time I thought they were on their way to becoming great.

Other than that not to much else I can remember him doing.

The true Catch 3.
Originally posted by BayArea:
I honestly can't name very many moments he had that made him stick out.

There is one though.

The game winning catch against the lions still makes me love him. When I hear his name I imagine that knee of his sliding 1cm over the goal line and how awesome that was for him to make that play.

Kind of solidified my confidence in this team and was the first time I thought they were on their way to becoming great.

Other than that not to much else I can remember him doing.

His TD against the Cowboys?
Originally posted by NickSh49:
His TD against the Cowboys?

Not saying it wasn't a good catch but they did lose that game so it doesn't stick out as much.

Not taking away from that one just not nearly as special.
This debate is really not the right one to be having, since he really isaint a TE he is a HB.

The fact is that Walker, and the backup/second TE position is one of the few positions on this team that can be upgraded through the draft. God forbid VD gets hurt, we would be in a bad spot. A guy like fleener is one of the few people/positions in this draft that could have an immediate impact for this team.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
This debate is really not the right one to be having, since he really isaint a TE he is a HB.

The fact is that Walker, and the backup/second TE position is one of the few positions on this team that can be upgraded through the draft. God forbid VD gets hurt, we would be in a bad spot. A guy like fleener is one of the few people/positions in this draft that could have an immediate impact for this team.

Everybody has us mocked to take Fleener too. Unless Baalke has something tricky up his sleeve or sees something nobody else does it's hard to imagine the 49ers taking anybody but him.

I agree that he would be a huge impact player. Not to mention how scary it would be to have VD and Fleener in tandem. Add in our two new WR's and this could easily be a top O next year and one that will drive defensive coordinators absolutely crazy.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
This debate is really not the right one to be having, since he really isaint a TE he is a HB.

The fact is that Walker, and the backup/second TE position is one of the few positions on this team that can be upgraded through the draft. God forbid VD gets hurt, we would be in a bad spot. A guy like fleener is one of the few people/positions in this draft that could have an immediate impact for this team.

Everybody has us mocked to take Fleener too. Unless Baalke has something tricky up his sleeve or sees something nobody else does it's hard to imagine the 49ers taking anybody but him.

I agree that he would be a huge impact player. Not to mention how scary it would be to have VD and Fleener in tandem. Add in our two new WR's and this could easily be a top O next year and one that will drive defensive coordinators absolutely crazy.

Erm... I know you're not being literal, but a lot of people see us taking an offensive lineman. A G or G/C. And then there's always the WR wildcard.

You're basing all of your speculation off the mocks. You know who mocked us taking Aldon Smith last year? Yeah, no one.

So Baalke's sleeve probably doesn't have much trickeration up it. You shouldn't be surprised if we don't take Fleener. We didn't take Prince Amukamara last year, and everyone mocked us taking him.

So yeah... expect nothing.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Erm... I know you're not being literal, but a lot of people see us taking an offensive lineman. A G or G/C. And then there's always the WR wildcard.

You're basing all of your speculation off the mocks. You know who mocked us taking Aldon Smith last year? Yeah, no one.

So Baalke's sleeve probably doesn't have much trickeration up it. You shouldn't be surprised if we don't take Fleener. We didn't take Prince Amukamara last year, and everyone mocked us taking him.

So yeah... expect nothing.

Yeah I know, I know. I was one of the guys who was totally pissed when they said they drafted Aldon Smith. Boy did I eat my words and learn to respect the front office after that one..

You are right about the mocks being way off and I know things might or more likely will end up much different.

He just seems like the place to go for them. Of course we don't even know if Fleener will be available by the time the 9ers pick. Some people have them taking Hill to add to the WR squad. Personally I think they should grab Fleener first round and then pick up an offensive linemen in the second or maybe trade up for one if they can.

I was hoping they would fill that gap in free agency but they didn't which is another reason they might grab a linemen in the first.
Originally posted by niners9:
No need to replace him with a 1st rounder. He's a quality number 2 and TE isn't a position of need.

I personally think there will be a run on tight ends in this draft. This is a copy cat league, and the Pats proved that
it can be very good for your offense. Not saying we should draft Fleener at all. I would not be suprised to see him gone
by the time we draft.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Erm... I know you're not being literal, but a lot of people see us taking an offensive lineman. A G or G/C. And then there's always the WR wildcard.

You're basing all of your speculation off the mocks. You know who mocked us taking Aldon Smith last year? Yeah, no one.

So Baalke's sleeve probably doesn't have much trickeration up it. You shouldn't be surprised if we don't take Fleener. We didn't take Prince Amukamara last year, and everyone mocked us taking him.

So yeah... expect nothing.

Yeah I know, I know. I was one of the guys who was totally pissed when they said they drafted Aldon Smith. Boy did I eat my words and learn to respect the front office after that one..

You are right about the mocks being way off and I know things might or more likely will end up much different.

He just seems like the place to go for them. Of course we don't even know if Fleener will be available by the time the 9ers pick. Some people have them taking Hill to add to the WR squad. Personally I think they should grab Fleener first round and then pick up an offensive linemen in the second or maybe trade up for one if they can.

I was hoping they would fill that gap in free agency but they didn't which is another reason they might grab a linemen in the first.

I like Hill cause he's flashy, but I think a G/C makes the most sense. We've got a hole at guard and Goodwin is 33. Let's get more protection for Alex and bigger holes for Frank & Kendall to run though.

Or hell, go get Doug Martin to eventually replace Frank and cut Jacobs & Dixon.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by niners9:
No need to replace him with a 1st rounder. He's a quality number 2 and TE isn't a position of need.

I personally think there will be a run on tight ends in this draft. This is a copy cat league, and the Pats proved that
it can be very good for your offense. Not saying we should draft Fleener at all. I would not be suprised to see him gone
by the time we draft.

In the second round maybe. This is not a good year for TE's.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone