There are 230 users in the forums

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Peyton or Alex? You mean which QB is likely to survive an entire season behind our hideous O-Line? Alex hands down
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by socalniner:
Peyton or Alex? You mean which QB is likely to survive an entire season behind our hideous O-Line? Alex hands down

Oline aint that bad, Alex holds the ball a lot longer and takes more sacks then he should.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by KID9R:
A 28 year old Alex Smith will be comparable in production to a 36 year old Peyton Manning and will cost less than half the price. And if he backslides, why did we just trade picks to move up for Kaepernick? I thought the whole plan with the front office was that they were not trying to capture lightning in a bottle, but were building for a long, sustained run. Overpaying for Manning seems a little impulsive for a team as solid as the Niners. Manning is overrated at this point in his career. There, I said it.

Then why offer Alex a contract at all? Alex for three years or Manning for three years? A just comparing Alex's production to Mamming's is laughable.

Your response is incomprehensible. At 36 years of age, and after several neck surgeries, Manning is over the hill. At this point in his career he's a marginal upgrade over Alex Smith coming into his prime years, given age and health. Prime v. Prime, Manning is clearly the better player and one of the greats. But Manning was declining before his injury. He certainly looked like no Superman when the Niners confused and pressured him all day in 2010. He is not worth mortgaging the future for and it would be a mistake. This whole story is total media generated hyperbole that Manning and his agent, Condon, are lapping up because it will drive his price throught the stratosphere.

"Smith coming into his prime" going into his what 8th year! lol

"Marginal Upgrade" you know we were 29th in passing last year right?

How was Manning declining exactly?

Didn't he win that game that he looked confused in?

And we're not mortgaging the future, CK ethier learns behind Alex or Manning

Mannings best years statistically were his 7th - 9th year in the league -- based on QB rating and Super Bowl win in 2006. Alex Smith is coming into his 7th season, which corresponds with Manning's prime. Mannings's QB rating in his last healthy season in 2010 was 91.9. Alex Smith's QB rating last year was 90.7. I think Manning's trajectory is downward, which is borne out by a generally declining QB rating since his prime in years 7-9, though still very good numbers. Factor in the age and neck surgeries, you have to expect his production to drop from his prior stats, especially considering the Niners don't have top tier receivers and prefer to run the ball. So, is Manning clutch? Playoff record is 7-10. One SB win, one loss. Game winning drives in playoff appearances - 1. He is consistently good in the regular season, not as good in the playoffs, and his numbers are in decline with age and serious injuries. Juxtapose Alex Smith, at 28, in a system he's comfortable with and a good coach, who has demonstrated an ability to win playoff games and pull out clutch wins throughout the season. If there is an edge to Manning at this point, it is marginal, and certainly not worth an extra $30-40 Million cap hit. Oh, and that winning TD thrown in 2010 was chucked by the running back on a gimmick play after we owned Manning all day.

just one problem, Alex Smith can't toss the rock and Manning can. I rather have Manning with a broken leg and hand then Alex Smith....
I may sound crazy, but Alex my choice. Manning has a LOT of question marks. People talk like he is a god, but he is not. Great stats, but only has one Superbowl. He does not play well in the playoffs. He has only been in one system(can he perform in ours?). He does not play well when being pressured. He has had 3 neck surgeries in the last year and he may only play in game before he is seriously injured. This year Alex will be MUCH better....
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Alex has not been dicked over by anyone, he has been paid HUGE $$$ for playing like sh$#. He has had 2 okay seasons, and 5 very bad ones, the 49ers have kissed his a$$ and done everything possible to help him, I know that Nolan kinda lost faith in him but nolan also picked him 1st and made him rich. Alex Smith might end up having a crap season, if that happens and Manning takes Denver to a superbowl, then you will see some crying.

And this proves you know absolutely nothing.
I know more then you. You don't know what you are crying about. Anyone with any smarts about how the NFL works, would understand that the 49ers are much better off today with Manning then Alex Smith. I am tired of people making excuse after excuse for him, he's been paid huge sums of money and he still passes like crap. If the 49ers could get a Manning today they would pull the trigger asap. Not sure its going to work out but I could care less if Alex Smith comes back or not. I am not sure hes going to have a good season in 2012. The man cannot pass the ball. Our 2011 offense will only take us so far.

lol

still failing Jim

this
Archie Manning, Dan Marino, Boomer

Marino
Mark Clayton

Boomer
Cris Collinsworth
Eddie Brown

Archie wasn't great
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by susweel:
susexcuses

Jeff just answer this question

Who is the better QB Alex or Peyton ?

Just a simple answer

Can anyone answer that if you mean better QB next year? Seriously no one knows how Peyton will hold up next year after his injury and surgery or how he will throw. Or what Smith will do after being in the same offense for the first time in his career.

trust me If the 49ers cleared him now and liked what they saw he will be 10 times better then Alex Smith.
people seem to forget what alex did against the saints, he is the reason the 9ers won that game... and the giants game NO ONE CAN AGRUE that he had receivers to throw to.. i mean i would really like to see what alex can do with moss, crabs, and maybe wallace or 1st round pick or any other FA WR.

Peyton is well known for never being able to win the big game, EVER! not even the Super Bowl cause everybody know he didn't win it, the bears lost it!

with all the question about peyton i will take alex everyday of the week.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
susexcuses

Just a simple answer

Can anyone answer that if you mean better QB next year? Seriously no one knows how Peyton will hold up next year after his injury and surgery or how he will throw. Or what Smith will do after being in the same offense for the first time in his career.

trust me If the 49ers cleared him now and liked what they saw he will be 10 times better then Alex Smith.
All these teams after him obviously think he's healthy.

Oline aint that bad, Alex holds the ball a lot longer and takes more sacks then he should.

this is sooo true, Manning moves around and gets rid of the ball way better and faster then Alex Smith, are we the only two who see this?

susexcuses

Just a simple answer

you answer me first...you guys have played this game for years on the whole Alexcuse crap....now when a legitimate point is brought up I get no answer?

I'll take a sack over an interception. Peyton will put up the sexy TDs but he'll also throw the ugly pick. I dunno, i'll be happy with either, but I think everyone's overhyping this Peyton guy a bit
susexcuses

Just a simple answer

4 teams? I think Flynn has that many teams interested
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
A 28 year old Alex Smith will be comparable in production to a 36 year old Peyton Manning and will cost less than half the price. And if he backslides, why did we just trade picks to move up for Kaepernick? I thought the whole plan with the front office was that they were not trying to capture lightning in a bottle, but were building for a long, sustained run. Overpaying for Manning seems a little impulsive for a team as solid as the Niners. Manning is overrated at this point in his career. There, I said it.

Then why offer Alex a contract at all? Alex for three years or Manning for three years? A just comparing Alex's production to Mamming's is laughable.

Your response is incomprehensible. At 36 years of age, and after several neck surgeries, Manning is over the hill. At this point in his career he's a marginal upgrade over Alex Smith coming into his prime years, given age and health. Prime v. Prime, Manning is clearly the better player and one of the greats. But Manning was declining before his injury. He certainly looked like no Superman when the Niners confused and pressured him all day in 2010. He is not worth mortgaging the future for and it would be a mistake. This whole story is total media generated hyperbole that Manning and his agent, Condon, are lapping up because it will drive his price throught the stratosphere.

"Smith coming into his prime" going into his what 8th year! lol

"Marginal Upgrade" you know we were 29th in passing last year right?

How was Manning declining exactly?

Didn't he win that game that he looked confused in?

And we're not mortgaging the future, CK ethier learns behind Alex or Manning

Mannings best years statistically were his 7th - 9th year in the league -- based on QB rating and Super Bowl win in 2006. Alex Smith is coming into his 7th season, which corresponds with Manning's prime. Mannings's QB rating in his last healthy season in 2010 was 91.9. Alex Smith's QB rating last year was 90.7. I think Manning's trajectory is downward, which is borne out by a generally declining QB rating since his prime in years 7-9, though still very good numbers. Factor in the age and neck surgeries, you have to expect his production to drop from his prior stats, especially considering the Niners don't have top tier receivers and prefer to run the ball. So, is Manning clutch? Playoff record is 7-10. One SB win, one loss. Game winning drives in playoff appearances - 1. He is consistently good in the regular season, not as good in the playoffs, and his numbers are in decline with age and serious injuries. Juxtapose Alex Smith, at 28, in a system he's comfortable with and a good coach, who has demonstrated an ability to win playoff games and pull out clutch wins throughout the season. If there is an edge to Manning at this point, it is marginal, and certainly not worth an extra $30-40 Million cap hit. Oh, and that winning TD thrown in 2010 was chucked by the running back on a gimmick play after we owned Manning all day.

Manning has been in his prime since 1999. Just because his stats were ridiculously good in year 7-9 doesn't mean he was any less dominant. Tom Brady's best year was in 2007, that doesn't mean he's still not in his prime. And if Alex's prime is 17 TD's and 29th in passing, ya I'll pass. I love Alex but come on don't let hommerism get in the way of logic. And Manning has never had a defence like ours and the last time his running game was as good, he won a Superbowl.
susexcuses

Just a simple answer

The Colts sure didn't think so...
Share 49ersWebzone