[ Edited by bleeds9ersredandgold on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM ]
There are 426 users in the forums
Re-Watched the Entire 2011 Season: 1 SURPRISE
Mar 9, 2012 at 10:08 PM
- bleeds9ersredandgold
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,192
i like brown a lot... with our front seven coming back our back 4 will be good no matter who is back there. Brown is a very good corner IMO just as good at rodgers.... brown played very well at the end of the year. with culliver coming on strong, I'm not worried about our D at all this up coming year.
Mar 9, 2012 at 11:51 PM
- DaFaro49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,569
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I don't know how many times this needs to be explained. Brown had a different job than Rogers when Rogers was on the slot receiver, which was often the case. Brown ALWAYS had safety help, as well as help from the sideline. Rogers was on the slot man, in the middle of the field with no help. Our defense is set up for the safeties to succeed by helping the outside CBs, while the slot is on his own. Brown and Culliver are not ready to do Rogers' job, so if we don't re-sign him, expect Baalke to land a replacement in free agency.
I completely disagree.... please watch the following link.. on 4 of Browns 5 INT's this season he had single coverage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ndm41g7iog&feature=related
Thats Brown covering the speedy Devry Henderson stride for stride and out jumping him. Btw, Brown had 2 ints in the NFC championship game if Goldson didn't knock him out.
Mar 10, 2012 at 1:47 AM
- 49erRider
- Veteran
- Posts: 7,508
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:Originally posted by 49erRider:I don't know how many times this needs to be explained. Brown had a different job than Rogers when Rogers was on the slot receiver, which was often the case. Brown ALWAYS had safety help, as well as help from the sideline. Rogers was on the slot man, in the middle of the field with no help. Our defense is set up for the safeties to succeed by helping the outside CBs, while the slot is on his own. Brown and Culliver are not ready to do Rogers' job, so if we don't re-sign him, expect Baalke to land a replacement in free agency.
I completely disagree.... please watch the following link.. on 4 of Browns 5 INT's this season he had single coverage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ndm41g7iog&feature=related
Thats Brown covering the speedy Devry Henderson stride for stride and out jumping him. Btw, Brown had 2 ints in the NFC championship game if Goldson didn't knock him out.
You fail to realize the whole reason Goldson knocked him out is because they were both there going for the INT. Why were they both there? Because Brown had Goldson helping his zone.
As for the INTs, cool. But you're watching highlights. Most of the time he had safety help. The deep balls were thrown when it was single coverage and Brown made the play, which is awesome, but not the norm.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Mar 10, 2012 at 1:48 AM ]
Mar 10, 2012 at 3:03 AM
- RishikeshA
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,720
I also watched all the games (except for the NFC Championship game, maybe tonight) and Brown seemed to get better as the season progressed. He sticks to his man like glue. He and Culliver could be future all-pros. Still would like Rogers to sign but not at an outrageous number.
Mar 10, 2012 at 3:16 AM
- Gore_21
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,685
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I don't know how many times this needs to be explained. Brown had a different job than Rogers when Rogers was on the slot receiver, which was often the case. Brown ALWAYS had safety help, as well as help from the sideline. Rogers was on the slot man, in the middle of the field with no help. Our defense is set up for the safeties to succeed by helping the outside CBs, while the slot is on his own. Brown and Culliver are not ready to do Rogers' job, so if we don't re-sign him, expect Baalke to land a replacement in free agency.
Goldson was late helping Brown at times... then one big TD that Brown gave up against the Giants we blitzed Goldson from 15 yards back and he didn't get there. I have liked Goldson from the get go but he isn't Ed Reed. Like someone said once Brown realized he can't count on the safeties as much as he would like he started clamping down more on the long routes.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 10, 2012 at 3:17 AM ]
Mar 10, 2012 at 3:22 AM
- 1swift
- Veteran
- Posts: 486
WAs it brown that collided with goldson twice in the NFC championship game
Those 2 passes were so bad that each of the 49ers DB's should have picked it but because it was so perfectly tererible neither one ended up with it.
Damn shame. In my list of things that cost us the game it ranks in the top 3
1. KW
2. Fumble/Forward Progress
3. Not coming up with those 2 Picks
4. 3rd down futility
Those 2 passes were so bad that each of the 49ers DB's should have picked it but because it was so perfectly tererible neither one ended up with it.
Damn shame. In my list of things that cost us the game it ranks in the top 3
1. KW
2. Fumble/Forward Progress
3. Not coming up with those 2 Picks
4. 3rd down futility
Mar 10, 2012 at 4:48 AM
- 49erRider
- Veteran
- Posts: 7,508
Originally posted by Gore_21:Goldson was late helping Brown at times... then one big TD that Brown gave up against the Giants we blitzed Goldson from 15 yards back and he didn't get there. I have liked Goldson from the get go but he isn't Ed Reed. Like someone said once Brown realized he can't count on the safeties as much as he would like he started clamping down more on the long routes.
The point of that post was not to beef up Goldson, but to prove Brown usually had safety help - which is how the defense is designed. Our CBs didn't have to be on an island all the time - except the guy on the slot receiver, which, many times, was Rogers. I don't think Brown can cover the slot man-to-man the way Rogers did and I doubt the team does, either. If we lose Rogers, he will probably be replaced in free agency for that reason.
Mar 10, 2012 at 8:02 AM
- OtisDriftwood
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,146
I think I seen probably 14 or so games and usually... usually.... Rogers was in man to man coverage alot of times covering the slot guy .. But there's no reason to get into a pissing contest about it and there's no reason to think that Brown couldnt do the same thing if he did it day in and day out.
Mar 10, 2012 at 8:06 AM
- AXEGRINDER
- Veteran
- Posts: 25,680
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:i have to admit i was wrong about brown
that being said i still dont feel comfortable with him as a #1 CB solid #2 starter though
This
Mar 10, 2012 at 8:12 AM
- 9erfanAUS
- Veteran
- Posts: 16,281
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i have to admit i was wrong about brown
that being said i still dont feel comfortable with him as a #1 CB solid #2 starter though
This
^
I'm not that high on Culliver either. If Rogers leaves, I'd like us to take a CB in round #2.
Mar 10, 2012 at 9:13 AM
- Gore_21
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,685
Originally posted by 49erRider:
The point of that post was not to beef up Goldson, but to prove Brown usually had safety help - which is how the defense is designed. Our CBs didn't have to be on an island all the time - except the guy on the slot receiver, which, many times, was Rogers. I don't think Brown can cover the slot man-to-man the way Rogers did and I doubt the team does, either. If we lose Rogers, he will probably be replaced in free agency for that reason.
I wasn't trying to knock Goldson I'm just saying even if he always had safety help it's not like he could say no worries I have Ed Reed back there and any guy that I let go or that gets by me will be locked up. I will agree with the fact that you can't have enough good CBs so if Rogers doesn't re-sign we should take a CB pretty early. Even if he does we could look at getting another one to compete with Brock and Holcomb at 4 or even 5 if we keep that many. Either way I'm not saying Brown is a shut down corner... just saying he really improved this season. If I had my choice Rogers would be back on a reasonable 3 year deal.
Mar 10, 2012 at 10:06 AM
- oregonniner
- Veteran
- Posts: 246
Culliver may take a big step and be the man next year, but I wouldn't underestimate the value of Carlos Rogers. When we had Nate Clemmens, it didn't matter what we did because we couldn't stop any fast number one wideout. Now I'm not saying Aldon Smith and our defensive schemes didn't make a difference, but Carlos Rogers is a true number one corner who played against their best wide receivers. Those are huge shoes for Culliver to fill.
Mar 10, 2012 at 10:11 AM
- oregonniner
- Veteran
- Posts: 246
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
I re-watched the entire 49ers season with a great emphasis on watching our powerful defense. Rumors throughout the 49ers facility started to state that the 49ers wanted to cut CB Spener and it wasn't for the emergence/addition of Carlos Rogers... it wasn't even for the full potential of Chris Culliver(which the 49ers believe he will be a #1 CB), its actually because the emergence of one CB Tarrell Brown.
Tarrell Brown specifically after fully understanding all aspects of the defense out played all cornerbacks on our roster in the 2nd half of the season and playoffs. Watching the 2nd half of the season and playoffs, it re-confirmed that Tarrell Brown was playing as good as if not better than Carlos Rogers.
So as important as Carlos rogers may be to our team, I firmly believe if we go into the season with Brown, Culliver, Brock and 2nd round rookie CB... the 49ers will still be playing top notch defense.
The front office also realizes this, thats why they aren't willing to overspend for Rogers or any CB on the market.
I don't know how many times this needs to be explained. Brown had a different job than Rogers when Rogers was on the slot receiver, which was often the case. Brown ALWAYS had safety help, as well as help from the sideline. Rogers was on the slot man, in the middle of the field with no help. Our defense is set up for the safeties to succeed by helping the outside CBs, while the slot is on his own. Brown and Culliver are not ready to do Rogers' job, so if we don't re-sign him, expect Baalke to land a replacement in free agency.
Unless they think that Culliver in his second year can do what Navaro Bowman did when he replaced Spikes. If that's the case, then they only need to replace a number three corner. I would rather have Rogers though, he is a great corner.
Mar 10, 2012 at 10:28 AM
- stonecold590
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,384
I have to agree. Brown played great this past year. I was one who was accually happy when we drafted him. Some red flags caused him to drop to the second half of the draft when he really should have been a second round pick. That was one of McNolans good draft choices.
Mar 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM
- unst4bl3
- Member
- Posts: 7,568
I won't admit i was wrong with brown yet, it was one season, he could return to form when they get more film on him or something...... Just like I believe rogers will be a target the way he was in the giants game.