LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 200 users in the forums

Should Larry Grant be given a 2nd round tender?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
One of the many great stories this season. I really like Larry. If he continues to develop, it would provide good insurance should Bowman hit free agency in a couple years. Don't know how many $10MM/year contracts this franchise can hand out and be sustainably good.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Probably, at least a 3rd.

I do not think there is a third round tender.

True, there are 4 levels, 1st and 3rd, 1st, 2nd and original round level(7th for Grant, none for Spillman, since he was a UDFA).

Use to be just 3 levels, there was no 2nd rd, they did it this way when the uncapped year began I believe.

2nd rd tender makes most sense, if he gets an outrageous contract, dont match take the 2nd, and have an extra pick to use either in draft or trade up. Philly seems most logical, they own 2 2nds, they would have to give us there 2nd, and not Arizona's since by rule it has to be your own pick, so if a team that doesnt have a 2nd, like Arizona signs him we actually get there 1st.

The Eagles are the only team that might try to sign Grant if we place a 2nd round tender on him.

The Eagles are in desperate need of an run stopping inside linebacker--and they need a starter now.

They took Casey Matthews in the draft last year, and he bombed.
Instead of gambling in the draft again, they might opt to sign Grant.

The Eagles have pick #46 and pick #51 from Arizona.

I would rather keep Grant, but if he goes I want the extra second round pick.
Grant is basically gone, whatever the 49ers can get back for him would be the better solution. If they can get a 2nd round pick for Grant, that would be tremendous and would allow for another high draft pick that could contribute to this team next year..ie.......Grant walks...the 49ers get a 2nd round pick, use it on Kendall Reyes from UConn. Joy ensues.
Originally posted by buck:
The Eagles are the only team that might try to sign Grant if we place a 2nd round tender on him.

The Eagles are in desperate need of an run stopping inside linebacker--and they need a starter now.

They took Casey Matthews in the draft last year, and he bombed.
Instead of gambling in the draft again, they might opt to sign Grant.

The Eagles have pick #46 and pick #51 from Arizona.

I would rather keep Grant, but if he goes I want the extra second round pick.

This, I think Philly could be a natural spot for him, especially considering they have 2 2nd rounders in the middle of the round.
Originally posted by okdkid:
One of the many great stories this season. I really like Larry. If he continues to develop, it would provide good insurance should Bowman hit free agency in a couple years. Don't know how many $10MM/year contracts this franchise can hand out and be sustainably good.

The idea is that you keep drafting guys with an eye on the future. Pick up an ILB in the draft this year or next and have that be Bowman's potential future replacement....etc.
Philli has an extra 2nd rounder this draft so maybe they would snatch him up from us. That would be sweet...!!!
  • buck
  • Veteran
If we tendered and kept Grant he would make $1.927 million.

This year Grant got $600,000

Minimum amounts for restricted free agent tenders are as follows:

Right of First Refusal/Original Round: $1.26 million

Second Round: $1.927 million

First Round: $2.742 million
no doubt.
Share 49ersWebzone