There are 148 users in the forums

Should Larry Grant be given a 2nd round tender?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Nobody is going to offer Grant a draft pick that high. You have to remember that Grant was playing in our system, next to a star inside backer, a superstar RDE, and two DB's who were Pro-Bowlers.
Offering something that high would simply guarantee that he would be with the team in 2012.

What's the alternative? The next lowest tender is ROFR and original draft compensation... which was a 7th rounder.

Ugh... pitiful, Eli...pitiful.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
What's the alternative? The next lowest tender is ROFR and original draft compensation... which was a 7th rounder.

The Niners would be wise to place a higher tender on him, since it would ensure his presence on the team next year. Nobody will bite, so we would retain his services

The Niners would be wise to place a higher tender on him, since it would ensure his presence on the team next year. Nobody will bite, so we would retain his services

couldn't we trade his rights for like a 3rd or a 4th rounder? Keeping him's not a bad option, he's a hella good player though. I just think he'll want to start somewhere.
Yes, it's worth giving him the 1.1 million or whatever it is, if he doesn't get an offer somewhere else. He's an outstanding back-up to both Bowman and Willis, and obviously would start somewhere else if he was an UFA.

Keeping him is a win-win for us. Either we keep our terrific insurance for our two stars, in Grant, or we get a 2nd round pick to further build this team, and we can just sign or draft some other back-up ILB.
Heck yes he should be given a second round tender. When Willis went down Grant was awesome. One more year for 1.5 million is a steal. If the niners get a second for him, that is also awesome.
Nobody is going to offer Grant a draft pick that high. You have to remember that Grant was playing in our system, next to a star inside backer, a superstar RDE, and two DB's who were Pro-Bowlers.
Offering something that high would simply guarantee that he would be with the team in 2012.

and we want that--so offer him a 2nd round tender.
  • buck
  • Veteran

The simple fact is that when he played for Willis, Grant played very well, in my estimate much better than most thought he would. The quality of the players around him does not diminish his play any more than the quality of those players diminishes the play of Patrick Willis.

Grant, again in my estimation, showed that he can be a good starting inside linebacker in this league. His play increased greatly the chance that teams would be willing to sign him as a restricted free agent.

The idea that some team would be willing to give up a second round pick to sign Grant, a starting-quality inside linebacker, does not seem unreasonable to me.

By putting a second round tender on him we accomplish two things. First, we enhance the chances that he will stay with the team. Second, we insure that team will receive due compensation for losing him.

In my opinion, it is better to keep him, but if we cannot, getting a 2nd round pick (or close to a second if a trade were to happen) would be useful.

We only have two inside linebackers signed to contracts next year—Willis and Bowman. If we lose Grant, we lose a superb back-up. That loss would mean that we will have to use either free agency or the draft in an attempt to replace him.

If we only put a lower tender on him, the original draft pick tender, we would only get a seventh round pick. This lower tender would basically insure that the team would lose him.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM ]
Trade Willis? lulz?

any people out there wanna defend me? lol...

Which is exactly what we want. Him on our team in 2012.
If there was enough interest out there it may be possible to (tender as necessary) sign and trade. But why would Grant do this and the team may not want to lock up close to $2m in a back-up ILB anyway when it has so many players it should / needs to resign first.

Alex Smith, Rogers, Goldson, Synder, Morgan, Costanzo all have priority for me over Grant; regardless of how well he played..

Want.

End thread.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Which is exactly what we want. Him on our team in 2012.

Yup. You can bet they'll do it if the cost of the $1-2 million tender is within reason, which to me, DOES sound reasonable.
Yup! Guy is dynamite.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Probably, at least a 3rd.

I do not think there is a third round tender.

True, there are 4 levels, 1st and 3rd, 1st, 2nd and original round level(7th for Grant, none for Spillman, since he was a UDFA).

Use to be just 3 levels, there was no 2nd rd, they did it this way when the uncapped year began I believe.

2nd rd tender makes most sense, if he gets an outrageous contract, dont match take the 2nd, and have an extra pick to use either in draft or trade up. Philly seems most logical, they own 2 2nds, they would have to give us there 2nd, and not Arizona's since by rule it has to be your own pick, so if a team that doesnt have a 2nd, like Arizona signs him we actually get there 1st.

Agreed.
Share 49ersWebzone