LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Save the Stick!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Save the Stick!!!

• titan
  • Veteran
The Stick is Magic! I only been in several times, but theres no denying the energy. Renovate!!!!!!! and permanently name it Bill Walsh Stadium.
umm... no.

time to get out of the ghetto and into a new stadium.
If it takes 3 hours to get out of a parking lot and on to a freeway its time for a new stadium! I love the hell outta the stick but it takes nine hours to get back to L.A!
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Montana:
Lol, so I am just hearing of this? It's going to be the Santa Clara Forty Niners? That just don't sound right! Are they going to keep the name of the team? Santa Clara? Crap, that's about another hour from me if that happens.

Bandwagon fan alert!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Ima be pissed off if there is turf in our new home. I hate f**king fake ass turf. It's all about playing on grass and seeing dirt clogs in players facemasks! none of that players coming back up clean after a big hit. I wanna see some grass hanging off their helmets and uniforms.

This. I really want it to be a grass stadium with an open roof. The Cardinals stadium in Glendale has a retractable roof but its f**king worthless because they never open the damn thing.

"Here we are in Glendale, Arizona, its November, the weather outside is 72 degrees and the roof is f**kING CLOSED!"

Don't even let that retractable BS be an option.

probably because its like 1000 degrees outside lol
Originally posted by jason330i:
umm... no.

time to get out of the ghetto and into a new stadium.

pshhh..you leave my ghetto alone..Go to AT&T if you can't handle.....
Ya know....I gotta say this.

I was at the 'stick on sat and it'll be sad to see her go, but it's just time. She is BY FAR the oldest unrenovated stadium in the NFL. Just pumping a few million into her won't fix it. Her BONES are old. It's time to start over.

As for the PSL thing (actually called SBLs)....I have a bit of a different take on it.

The SBLs are insanely expensive. No doubt. People forget tho that stadiums back in the day were built with public money. Cities won't do that anymore (particularly in CA). The money has to come from somewhere

Additionally.....people who are currently Season Ticket holders have a pretty good racket going. They can choose 3 or 4 games, sell the rest (to fans of EITHER TEAM.....thats how you end up with so many Cowboys or Steelers fans) and essentially go to those games for free. Then, if the team makes the playoffs, they can sell those tickets for a fortune. Some of the tickets being sold right now for the NFC Championship are going for as much as $20K or $30K. Thats ONE TICKET for ONE GAME.

Who makes that money? Thats a season ticket holder, not the team. Now come at me with the SBLs being outrageous. Being a season ticket holder is a SWEET deal right now.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
All my 49er memories are at Anaheim Stadium, never been to the Stick.
  • dj43
The "city fathers" have put so many barriers in the way of any kind of plan at Candlestick that is is pointless to think about staying there. The truth is; there is not enough support for the team in the city/county to make it worth while to pursue it. I've had many great days there myself but the City of San Francisco is not really interested in keeping the team there or they would have done it 10 years ago. Sad but true.
Even if renovating the Stick was a viable option (it isn't), it would have taken PSL's/SBL's or whatever you want to call them to generate the required financing.

Eric Davis made a point yesterday that this Sunday's game may very well be the last great game at Candlestick park, considering the new stadium is on the way.

bittersweet.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Eric Davis made a point yesterday that this Sunday's game may very well be the last great game at Candlestick park, considering the new stadium is on the way.

bittersweet.

Wrong.

We will win the title next year, getting another two Candlestick games in the process
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Originally posted by verb1der:

bittersweet.

Wrong.

We will win the title next year, getting another two Candlestick games in the process

I hope you're right!

I just don't want my expectations crushed like a Packers fan this year.
  • dj43
Originally posted by kronik:
Problem is our SF policticans suck. We had plenty of chances to keep the niners, I blame the damn politicians

True but they were elected by the people who live there.

The demographics of SF have been changing for years and the change has been anti-sport for the most part. They pols love the money they get from those coming to see the SF Giants play but they would not invest in the facility that brings them. The current admin has no idea how businesses run. Gavin Newsome could care less as long as he can succeed Jerry Brown as governor on his way to the White House. All the pols know is how to extract every dime of blood money they can get...and then snivel when the business leaves town.

Well, now the Forty Niners are leaving town to a place that appreciates the revenue and notoriety they will bring. I don't like changing the name but Santa Clara Forty Niners would be just fine with me - a poke in the eye of the politicians who chased them out of town.

*end rant*
The Golden State 49ers
Share 49ersWebzone