LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

vernon davis jumping on deep pass routes

Shop Find 49ers gear online
on his 44 yard catch today, and i thibk in an earlier game (last week maybe vs seattle) i notice vernon jumping just before the ball arrives, when it seems he did not need to...is this a bad habit or maybe his way of holding up until pass gets to him?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Just be happy he caught it.
He's still unpolished. He's still has a lot to learn.
  • Jiks
If he used his hands there would be no reason to hold up. He's just not really a natural pass catcher imo. His receiving skills are just par.
Originally posted by hofer36:
on his 44 yard catch today, and i thibk in an earlier game (last week maybe vs seattle) i notice vernon jumping just before the ball arrives, when it seems he did not need to...is this a bad habit or maybe his way of holding up until pass gets to him?

thats what i notice he jumps when hes about to catch the ball on deep ballz
He may be used to overthrows and pre-adjusting.
seems like if he didnt jump he might be able to run it in after the catch
Originally posted by hofer36:
seems like if he didnt jump he might be able to run it in after the catch

but it seemed like every time a Rams receiver catches the ball they go down even faster, must be scurred of Dashon, and Donte
Clearly, he likes to basket catch the ball. I suppose having his thighs up around his hands feels right to him, or something. As the others have said, awful technique.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Clearly, he likes to basket catch the ball. I suppose having his thighs up around his hands feels right to him, or something. As the others have said, awful technique.

I think part of the reason he does this is because he is afraid of taking a shot to the knees.
Troy Polamalu injured him a few years ago after Vernon caught a pass without jumping. He caught it, turned around and got hit in the leg, injuring his leg.

That might be part of the reason he does that. Players don't want to even hit him high because he is so big and strong, so they always go for his legs.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jan 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM ]

he needs to kick it with crabtree during the offseason. Crabs snatches the ball out of the air like no one ive seen in a while. he just rips it out of the air. VD usually lets the ball hit his chest instead of attacking it but sometimes he'll make an amazing catch that seems out of his reach. hes a great player but his hands and technique need a lot of work, all that jumping is unnecessary and actually keeps him from getting YAC most times
Originally posted by susweel:
Just be happy he caught it.

seriously

he almost dropped the 44 yarder
I think he misjudged it, he didn't need to jump. Probably could have got some YAC on that one if he hadnt jumped. Atleast he caught it though, I'm not gonna complain.
He jumps on most of his deep balls.

Is it just me or does he look funny when he runs?
  • kray28
  • Veteran
He looks like big ball of muscle with a little asscrack hanging out.

Sometimes you can be too muscular. He reminds me of Herschel Walker. That guy was packed with so much muscle it actually slowed him down. In Vernon's case, he has mediocre pass catching skills and mediocre agility and quickness as well. Very good straight line speed, but no so great body control or ability to change direction.
Share 49ersWebzone