LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 123 users in the forums

Alex Finishes In Last Place

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by Shaj:
There is a business corollary here, it's called "the cost of quality". I worked with Fortune 50 company that decide to increase their defects per million because the cost of quality was too high to achieve that level, and they could get more overall return with a defect rate that was still very good, but not as rigorous as before. If Alex could get twice as many touchdowns with twice as many INT's, that would be a great tradeoff that I would likely take. The cost of getting only 5 INT's is a pedestrian offense that requires a devastating ST and D to stay in games.

Pretty spot on. Too bad half the board won't get it.

the standard approach is to ridicule rather than to seek to understand. Just read some of the posts, including from one of the mods.
There is a business corollary here, it's called "the cost of quality". I worked with Fortune 50 company that decide to increase their defects per million because the cost of quality was too high to achieve that level, and they could get more overall return with a defect rate that was still very good, but not as rigorous as before. If Alex could get twice as many touchdowns with twice as many INT's, that would be a great tradeoff that I would likely take. The cost of getting only 5 INT's is a pedestrian offense that requires a devastating ST and D to stay in games.

the standard approach is to ridicule rather than to seek to understand. Just read some of the posts, including from one of the mods.

I don't get it.... Can you explained further...

Right. We're all retards and Shaj is the only person here who understands the business world.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by fastforward:
I'm as thrilled with 12 - 3 as you are. But if all of this only gets us on the losing end of a shoot out with the Saints or Packers, then our formula needs to be adjusted. Our D and ST are golden, so that leaves the offense. Alex has great ratings but low output. The question is, can his quality scale with increased quantity (primarily yards & TDs)? If so, then why not? It might get us a superbowl. It seems to be the only missing ingredient at this point.

There are several explanations for the "pedestrian" offense, and the fault wasn't Smith's alone. Let the season play out then Harbaugh et al. can make the determination on the areas that need the most attention. IMO Smith was (and has proven to be) the best choice among the QBs available at the beginning of the season to run Harbaugh's offense. One can argue that things could be improved, but the fact of the matter is it is the way it is. Even if the 49ers go one and out (a huge disappointment for me too) in the playoffs, this season has been beyond anybody's hope at the start of the season.

From the business perspective, this is like the early years of a product line that a company only expected to sell a low numbers. Therefore in risking of a huge flop in creating negative customer reaction, the managers focused on quality and produced just enough to be profitable and to create positive buzz. They surely underestimated the market demand, but given the limited resources they have to focus on the areas of strength, and their strength was not in mass production like that earlier and wildly successful Green Cheese company next door could do. This product has proven to be a hit, much better than the managers expected. Even if they don't get Product of the Year vote, they have some branding success now, and can fine-tune to ramp up production in the next few years.

I don't actually pin the pedestrian offense exclusively on Alex. Coaching plays a huge part. The big question is, are they conservative by nature (the test for that is that the same conservative offense would be run if Brees or Rodgers played for the niners), or do they not think Alex can put the ball down the field without losing games for them. It's hard to believe that the former could be true (with the Rodgers/Brees test), but I don't know for sure, and I don't think anyone but the coaches do.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Team MVP should be split between David Akers and Andy Lee. Honorable mention to Ted Ginn and some of the kill guys.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Right. We're all retards and Shaj is the only person here who understands the business world.

I think we all need enlightenment. I'm interested in understanding further the business model. Right now, I just don't get it....
Rodgers is a counterpoint to Alex, and so is Brady. Both pitched a few more picks (Brady has 11 I believe)....but an obscene number of TDs and yards in comparison. Brady has close to 5000 passing yards as well.

They have been with their offenses for year. You'd be better served using Cam Newton's example (but Harbaugh isn't Rivera.)
It won't be a problem to throw for high yardage against the Packers bc Alex has the most awesome WR corps right now and has all day to throw the ball.

Frank Gore doesn't even have to tie his shoes during the playoffs bc we will be running 5 WR sets all day so Alex can break the madden record for yards
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

for the record, that is not my opinion.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
They have been with their offenses for year. You'd be better served using Cam Newton's example (but Harbaugh isn't Rivera.)

I'm making no judgment based on reputation here. Just looking at the numbers. Both QBs have astronomical usage rates in comparison to Alex. The higher INT counts are a product of higher usage rates...whereas Alex's low INT count is a result of low usage.

If Alex threw the ball as often as Brady did, what would happen?

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
wait. Im confused. This does not contain all qbs. What the hell is this list?

Lol, top 15 then skips to Alex bro

I'm still confused. Why make a big deal over interceptions thrown? Shouldn't we be looking at interceptions to attempt ratio?
I'm as thrilled with 12 - 3 as you are. But if all of this only gets us on the losing end of a shoot out with the Saints or Packers, then our formula needs to be adjusted. Our D and ST are golden, so that leaves the offense. Alex has great ratings but low output. The question is, can his quality scale with increased quantity (primarily yards & TDs)? If so, then why not? It might get us a superbowl. It seems to be the only missing ingredient at this point.

There are several explanations for the "pedestrian" offense, and the fault wasn't Smith's alone. Let the season play out then Harbaugh et al. can make the determination on the areas that need the most attention. IMO Smith was (and has proven to be) the best choice among the QBs available at the beginning of the season to run Harbaugh's offense. One can argue that things could be improved, but the fact of the matter is it is the way it is. Even if the 49ers go one and out (a huge disappointment for me too) in the playoffs, this season has been beyond anybody's hope at the start of the season.

From the business perspective, this is like the early years of a product line that a company only expected to sell a low numbers. Therefore in risking of a huge flop in creating negative customer reaction, the managers focused on quality and produced just enough to be profitable and to create positive buzz. They surely underestimated the market demand, but given the limited resources they have to focus on the areas of strength, and their strength was not in mass production like that earlier and wildly successful Green Cheese company next door could do. This product has proven to be a hit, much better than the managers expected. Even if they don't get Product of the Year vote, they have some branding success now, and can fine-tune to ramp up production in the next few years.

I don't actually pin the pedestrian offense exclusively on Alex. Coaching plays a huge part. The big question is, are they conservative by nature (the test for that is that the same conservative offense would be run if Brees or Rodgers played for the niners), or do they not think Alex can put the ball down the field without losing games for them. It's hard to believe that the former could be true (with the Rodgers/Brees test), but I don't know for sure, and I don't think anyone but the coaches do.

Actually, there's another possiblity: check Stanford games and see how they used Luck. I must confess I didn't watch them all that much but I read many people saying that the Cardinal offense was similar to our own: power-running, play-action, using "shot plays".

Maybe someone here on the board can help.

I'm still confused. Why make a big deal over interceptions thrown? Shouldn't we be looking at interceptions to attempt ratio?

He is among the top in that category too. I think it is 1.2 or 1.3

You could, there are Mandy's to look at but either way he had a solid year.
Share 49ersWebzone