LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Niners vs Packers (in Lambeau for the NFC championship)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Niners vs Packers (in Lambeau for the NFC championship)

Originally posted by Legbreaker:
For the 49ers to win this game, they have got to play perfect in the trenches in front of a Cover 2 Man Under shell. Take away Rodgers' deep seam, deep post and deep crossing routes. Force him to challenge our LBs underneath. If we can stay patient, take away the deep ball and apply steady pressure we can contain the GB offense. If they spread with 3 or 4 wideouts, we present a unique problem: our best defenders (Willis, Bowman, McDonald, J. Smith and A. Smith) are still on the field in our "sub" packages...unlike any defense in the league. This will make it difficult for them to play "chuck n' duck" football all day. Additionally, their defense is PAINFULLY average. I am not concerned about our ability to score on these guys. I think this is a winnable game for us. Not easy, but if the Niners play their best football, definitely winnable.

Their defense loves to jump routes. NYG took full advantage of that but Manning got burned on the pick 6. Tom Tolbert said one of the best things I've heard him ever say. He was talking about people questioning whether or not the 49ers can put up 35 or 38 points. He said that shouldn't be the question. The question should be can GB score 35 or 38 points. The 49ers defense is no joke and GB has scored under 30 vs any defense ranked better than 15. On top of that, the best defense they have played, in terms of points allowed, has been ranked 9th at 20.9 ppg.

So, the question should be, can GB score more than 30 vs better defenses, because they have yet to prove it.
THE ONLY way to beat the Packers is with a team effort. Not one man can do it all, all the time. That Aaron pass to Jordy is a perfect example, both made incredible plays, Rogers with his arm and Nelson with his hands and feet. It's the mistakes. We have to minimize them and maximize theirs. We have to execute on every single play, period.

Who has the most will? Who will focus and concentrate more? Who will beat their man, one on one? Whose game plan is more solid? And, when do we go for the jugular?

If any D has a chance, it's ours. Look at what NYG and TB did. Rodgers can be slowed down, but you can't take any, ANY, plays off or he will kill you.

We can do this. The question is when and where. IMO, it will be the NYG VS Saints and Falcons play the Cowboys. Then Saints VS 49ers and Cowboys VS GB.

NFC Championship...49ers 15, GB 13. Akers wins it at the end.

Does that score look familiar? It should upset you. Remember 1990? That's what I expect. We had one of the best offenses and QBs and the frickin' Parcell Giants stopped us, even took out Joe Cool.

OK, maybe that won't be the score, but our D has the ability to dictate terms. We have to do the same at Lambeau. Our D must stop the 3rd downs and keep Rodgers cold on the sidelines. Then, we have to pounce on their mistakes and score each and everytime. IMO, I believe Fangio would bring the house on Rodgers, screw the "rushing only three BS". Keep coming at him and rotate the pass rushers for fresh legs. Blitz, blitz and collapse the pocket WHILE Willis or Bowman spies on Rodgers so that when he's flushed, he's smacked, hard!!

TOs will be the deciding factor. Rodgers is human. Rile him, hit him, knock him to the ground and be relentless, never giving up! That's what has to happen in order to win it...

IMHO. Still, who would have thought, huh? We are having THIS conversation, woo hoo!
[ Edited by ninertico on Dec 6, 2011 at 9:47 AM ]
I guarantee that our coaching staff has already began preparing for the GB game and will have a great set of plays for Alex to run and get us points.

Our defense will keep the game in reach, but Alex and our running game will need to score points and control the clock.

WHEN we play them, we had better be very aggressive with the calls and even going on 4th downs to get points and keep rodgers off the field.

I cant believe we are talking about the Niners making the Super Bowl, this is awesome!!!!
Originally posted by irishluder:
I guarantee that our coaching staff has already began preparing for the GB game and will have a great set of plays for Alex to run and get us points.

Our defense will keep the game in reach, but Alex and our running game will need to score points and control the clock.

WHEN we play them, we had better be very aggressive with the calls and even going on 4th downs to get points and keep rodgers off the field.

I cant believe we are talking about the Niners making the Super Bowl, this is awesome!!!!

I hope not.

Maybe as casual watercooler talk....

but c'mon, we'd still have to make it that far first.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by irishluder:

I hope not.

Maybe as casual watercooler talk....

but c'mon, we'd still have to make it that far first.

I'm sure they have and have checked off some things they have seen but not implemented to the players yet. This is what the team scouts do.
49ers 31
Packers 28
As long as we dictate the terms of the game...we have a great shot. If the GB offense just comes out firing and scores a TD on the first drive...that may not bode so well.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
if they face the lions there is a good chance tehy will lose

the packers only took off and started scoring and moving the ball ater suh got ejected ( i actually expect lions to beat them)

as for your question if 49ers face the packers if we pressure rodgers we will win otherwise we dont stand a chance

our offense can put up 30 to 40 points a game when need be

we do a great job moving te ball up the field (we dont punt the ball much at all)

but we have to turn those FG into TDs

The 49ers have only scored more than 30 points in two games. What are you talking about? When Suh was ejected from the game, the Packers were in a goal to go situation and already had the lead. Lost in all of that is the Packers shut down the Lions offense in that game. In four games this year that the Packers offense has been sluggish the defense has played well. There is a reason those guys have won 18 straight games and have never trailed in the 4th quarter during that stretch. They play well as a team. The offense is the focus for sure but the defense hasn't had much of a sense of urgency. When its been needed they've delivered.

The Packers have failed to score 30 points in only four games this year. In those games the Packers defense has gave up an average of 12.25 PPG. Don't write off that defense. When needed to they've played well. They give up a lot of yards but they haven't been that easy to score against. Only three teams have put up 30+ points against them. They were led by Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, and Eli Manning. I also don't buy into the myth that the Packers can't play in cold weather. Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers are two QBs that thrive in cold weather. Rodgers' QB Rating is higher in cold weather than his career average. His most efficient game this year was against San Diego in the rain. Alex Smith just isn't built like Rodgers.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Their defense loves to jump routes. NYG took full advantage of that but Manning got burned on the pick 6. Tom Tolbert said one of the best things I've heard him ever say. He was talking about people questioning whether or not the 49ers can put up 35 or 38 points. He said that shouldn't be the question. The question should be can GB score 35 or 38 points. The 49ers defense is no joke and GB has scored under 30 vs any defense ranked better than 15. On top of that, the best defense they have played, in terms of points allowed, has been ranked 9th at 20.9 ppg.

So, the question should be, can GB score more than 30 vs better defenses, because they have yet to prove it.

I see fans do this to themselves all the time. Schedules also play a part. A lot of times when a team has a really good scoring defense, they haven't played very many elite offenses. If you remove the Packers offensive stats from some of the defenses they've played they look much better. I remember seeing a break down a few weeks ago about the defenses the Packers have played and their stats with Rodgers performance removed. Several teams would have been in the Top 10 had they not played Aaron Rodgers. The Packers are dropping 30-40 points on everybody and Rodgers is posting insane QB Ratings. An NFL season is a farily small sample size of 16 games. If a good defense gives up 40 points to a high powered offense, at the end of the year that defensive rankings looks much worse than it is. In baseball or the NBA statistical rankings in offense or defense hold much more weight. The sample size in the NFL is too small to put that much weight into statistical rankings. One bad game can drop your ranking 5-10 spots.

The Packers offense with less weapons put up 31 points against the Steelers in the Super Bowl. I think that was a better defense. One of the best run defenses in NFL history and they led the NFL in sacks. This 49ers defense is certainly stingy but that Steelers defense was more intimidating and generated more pass rush. Aaron Rodgers isn't afraid of playing a good defense. That's all I'm saying. He has generally done very well against 3-4 defenses.

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Regarding the Saints: They are pedestrian on the road.

Currently they're 3-3 on the road. When they've won, it has been by an average of 6 points.

They won by 13 at Jacksonville, 3 at Carolina and 3 (in overtime) at Atlanta.

That is not a team that will be favorites to beat SF in SF.
At Lambeau?

We'll get ass-raped but that's okay.

Next year will be different.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
For the 49ers to win this game, they have got to play perfect in the trenches in front of a Cover 2 Man Under shell. Take away Rodgers' deep seam, deep post and deep crossing routes. Force him to challenge our LBs underneath. If we can stay patient, take away the deep ball and apply steady pressure we can contain the GB offense. If they spread with 3 or 4 wideouts, we present a unique problem: our best defenders (Willis, Bowman, McDonald, J. Smith and A. Smith) are still on the field in our "sub" packages...unlike any defense in the league. This will make it difficult for them to play "chuck n' duck" football all day. Additionally, their defense is PAINFULLY average. I am not concerned about our ability to score on these guys. I think this is a winnable game for us. Not easy, but if the Niners play their best football, definitely winnable.

Exactly, people worry about how many points they will "put" up on us.....are we so sure they can score that much and that fast on us.....I'm not!!
Originally posted by strat1080:

I see fans do this to themselves all the time. Schedules also play a part. A lot of times when a team has a really good scoring defense, they haven't played very many elite offenses. If you remove the Packers offensive stats from some of the defenses they've played they look much better. I remember seeing a break down a few weeks ago about the defenses the Packers have played and their stats with Rodgers performance removed. Several teams would have been in the Top 10 had they not played Aaron Rodgers. The Packers are dropping 30-40 points on everybody and Rodgers is posting insane QB Ratings. An NFL season is a farily small sample size of 16 games. If a good defense gives up 40 points to a high powered offense, at the end of the year that defensive rankings looks much worse than it is. In baseball or the NBA statistical rankings in offense or defense hold much more weight. The sample size in the NFL is too small to put that much weight into statistical rankings. One bad game can drop your ranking 5-10 spots.

The Packers offense with less weapons put up 31 points against the Steelers in the Super Bowl. I think that was a better defense. One of the best run defenses in NFL history and they led the NFL in sacks. This 49ers defense is certainly stingy but that Steelers defense was more intimidating and generated more pass rush. Aaron Rodgers isn't afraid of playing a good defense. That's all I'm saying. He has generally done very well against 3-4 defenses.

Fact is, Packers have not scored more than 30 vs the teams that are known to have the stronger defenses. They did well vs DET but DET fell off a while ago and their QB, even prior to playing us, was inconsistent and relied heavily on Johnson. The Packers also had a pick 6 vs NYG which puts them under 30 as an offense.

Yes, PIT has a great defense but QB's with great arms can beat a defense that manufacture's sacks like PIT does. They have complicated blitzes and roam their FS around. A great arm can out quick that, which was what happened. For example, for us, BAL is more difficult to play than a team that blitzes heavy because BAL can get pressure with only rushing 4. PIT relies on their FS even in blitzes which exposes hot spots. BAL's defense does not. A QB like Rodgers and the sync of that offense easily finds hot spots in less than a second.

42 hosting the Saints
30 at CAR
27 at CHI
49 hosting DEN
25 at ATL
24 hosting STL
33 at MIN
45 at SD
45 hosting MIN
35 hosting TB
27 at DET
38 at NYG

Their big points have been vs terrible teams aside from week 1 Saints but that first week was crazy offense around the entire league. When they have played middle of the pack teams, they do NOT get that 35 or 38 that critics claim the 49ers need to reach to beat them. This also does not include defensive TDs. Vs NYG, they had 7 off of a defensive TD and NYG do not have a very good secondary.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
The Packers struggled to put up 30 on the Giants. And that was with the help of a pick six.

Our defense is significantly better than that of the Giants. In January, it would be difficult to simply assume the Packers could manage 21+ points.
Share 49ersWebzone