LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

Aldon Smith vs Oher

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mike:
I guess you missed the one where he picked up the wrong guy and let someone come straight up the middle for the sack.

If you are talking about the play where he had two to chose from and he went after the one on the right then yeah I saw it. Either way it was lose lose for him. If he blocks the other guy then the other one comes free! If it wasn't for Gore the Ravens would have had like 15 sacks!
I did some research on Aldon Smith's statistics, and there are some disturbing trends in particular situations.

He has 7.5 sacks on the season, but I noticed a severe limitation to his game where he easily gets shut down. For example, ALL of his sacks, and I mean ALL of them, have only come when he was part of the 11 defensive players on the field of play. That means he has 0, zip, nada, no sacks while standing on the sidelines. NONE.

What makes this most disturbing, is that this is the way Fangio has been utilizing him most of the time during the game.
If they are going to utilize Aldon Smith this way, fine, but at least during practice they need to work with him on stepping up this critically important part of his game. Instead of doing drills and coaching him with the typical "on field" techniques, they need to spend at least half of the time coaching him on how to get sacks while off the field.
Perhaps he could meditate and learn some psychic or telekinesis mental ability. He could implant psychic suggestions into the quarterbacks mind to fall down or hurry a throw perhaps.
If they can't coach up his psychic ability, then they could perhaps work him with a professional comedian. Someone who does physical comedy would be preferred; the quarterback won't be able to hear any spoken jokes while so far away, nor would he want to listen to them even if he could somehow hear them.
The physical comedian would get Aldon to gyrate and move in odd ways in an effort to somehow distract the quarterback while he is attempting to throw a pass.

Utilizing Aldon Smith while he is on the sidelines would dramatically improve his impact on a game. He spends at least 60% of the time utilized in this fashion. We need to coach him up and prepare him for these particular situations, so he can at least provide some impact. Because right now, he is giving us absolutely NOTHING while on the sidelines.
Even if he is only half as effective while on the sidelines, he would provide at least another 3-4 sacks for us.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I did some research on Aldon Smith's statistics, and there are some disturbing trends in particular situations.

He has 7.5 sacks on the season, but I noticed a severe limitation to his game where he easily gets shut down. For example, ALL of his sacks, and I mean ALL of them, have only come when he was part of the 11 defensive players on the field of play. That means he has 0, zip, nada, no sacks while standing on the sidelines. NONE.

What makes this most disturbing, is that this is the way Fangio has been utilizing him most of the time during the game.
If they are going to utilize Aldon Smith this way, fine, but at least during practice they need to work with him on stepping up this critically important part of his game. Instead of doing drills and coaching him with the typical "on field" techniques, they need to spend at least half of the time coaching him on how to get sacks while off the field.
Perhaps he could meditate and learn some psychic or telekinesis mental ability. He could implant psychic suggestions into the quarterbacks mind to fall down or hurry a throw perhaps.
If they can't coach up his psychic ability, then they could perhaps work him with a professional comedian. Someone who does physical comedy would be preferred; the quarterback won't be able to hear any spoken jokes while so far away, nor would he want to listen to them even if he could somehow hear them.
The physical comedian would get Aldon to gyrate and move in odd ways in an effort to somehow distract the quarterback while he is attempting to throw a pass.

Utilizing Aldon Smith while he is on the sidelines would dramatically improve his impact on a game. He spends at least 60% of the time utilized in this fashion. We need to coach him up and prepare him for these particular situations, so he can at least provide some impact. Because right now, he is giving us absolutely NOTHING while on the sidelines.
Even if he is only half as effective while on the sidelines, he would provide at least another 3-4 sacks for us.

LOL
Ask yourself Maddog would you trade Smith for Kerrigan or Reed? To be honest I wouldn't trade him for Miller. The reason, as Smith gets bigger he can take snaps as a down lineman like Justin Smith. Pressure from downline men is far more valuable because it's much much harder to find dlinemen than rushing tweeners. Miller is special no question but Aldon is just as special.
They should just have a maddog section so folks can criticize him.

On this topic though they just have to play him more plain and simple. The skins play Kerrigan every down and Brooks Reed is now playing every donw due to Mario williams injury. Yet our pick is used as a situational player. He has to learn by playing. And if he's gonna be an OLB they need to let him be in the game more often so he can develop. Just like once Brooks was off the bench and in the starting line up he got better at defending the run and playing in space when need be.
Originally posted by lamontb:
They should just have a maddog section so folks can criticize him.

On this topic though they just have to play him more plain and simple. The skins play Kerrigan every down and Brooks Reed is now playing every donw due to Mario williams injury. Yet our pick is used as a situational player. He has to learn by playing. And if he's gonna be an OLB they need to let him be in the game more often so he can develop. Just like once Brooks was off the bench and in the starting line up he got better at defending the run and playing in space when need be.

mad dog brings great insight into draft days. Discussion is important. His point about Brooks is excellent. Aldon is unique that's all.
Originally posted by bubbleguts:
If you are talking about the play where he had two to chose from and he went after the one on the right then yeah I saw it. Either way it was lose lose for him. If he blocks the other guy then the other one comes free! If it wasn't for Gore the Ravens would have had like 15 sacks!

Gore and Smith are becoming experts at the blitz...Smith avoided four or five sure sacks and Gore stopped as many...the Ravens could have had twenty sacks. I loved Smith pulling away from Ngata to complete a pass.

BrianGO--funny post! First time through I thought you'd lost your mind! LOL! Not quite awake yet.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 27, 2011 at 10:56 AM ]
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Ya that was pretty impressive especially considering Oher is in the 98th percentile in protective instincts.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He is what he is....a guy who is pretty much a 4-3 DE right now, which is his role in the nickle, when he comes in. He didn't show much in a pass rush last night, but made a couple good tackles on run plays (the one at the end of the 3rd quarter was solid). To me, last night was a mixed performance, but nothing that altered the team's fate.

He is a guy who shows bursts of excitement, but is not a consistent all-around player right now. His coverage skills are raw, and that is why he is almost completely limited to rushing off the edge in nickle situations.

In the last month, he is probably the fourth best OLB in this draft, behind Von Miller, Ryan Kerrigan, and Brooks Reed. These guys are making a larger impact than Smith, mostly due to the number of snaps. However, his career is young. I'd just like to see the 7th overall pick get on the field more.

You have a little write up like this in every Aldon Smith thread that comes up. It's like you're slowly trying to make yourself look correct, one thread and sack less game at a time. Just get over it please. He is not the 4th best OLB right now. You say he's inconsistent, I say he has had a tremendously positive impact when he's played and his playing time has been lessened by a lack of creativity and necessity on defense. Can you think of a play where he gets beaten badly? Gives up the edge and gives up a big run? Gets beaten in coverage? No, you just assume because he's not playing it's because he's not good and isn't worth the number 7 pick. Put a sock in it.

Yeah I don't get all the negative connotations. As if he is still trying to justify his draft board.

Brooks Reed...really?

Reed:
27 tackles
5 sakcs
2 pass defended

Agent Smith:
20 tackles
7.5 sacks
1 FF
4 Pass defended
1 Safety

And smith is doing that with limited playing time. Aldon also has a s**t load of hurries. Many tackle for losses. Multiple rookie of the week awards etc... You can hardly state all Aldon's accomplishments in one breath.

Who is making a bigger impact on the game? Smith contributed to the Lions win with the safety and the sack fumble.
You missed on this one. Just let it go and enjoy those beastly numbers from a rookie learning a new position and getting limited playing time,

The argument for Reed is that he wasn't getting much PT from day one like Aldon, because Mario Williams took up most of that. Reed has made a very, very big impact. The thing is, Aldon is making an impact, but because he's so raw, he's not doing as much ALL-AROUND as some of these others. He is not complete, but we knew that when he was drafted. He still has yet to fulfill his complete potential.

Right now, I think we're all happy that he's contributed well. Now we're waiting for the next step -- him being able to cover and then consistently create pressure from anywhere on the field -- standing up, or with his hand in the dirt.
Originally posted by bubbleguts:

Agree 100%. Gore does a fantastic job pass blocking, of course if both sides of the pocket are falling apart, there is only so much he can do.

Originally posted by POPsGarage:
Agree 100%. Gore does a fantastic job pass blocking, of course if both sides of the pocket are falling apart, there is only so much he can do.

Two sides weren't the problem...Gore takes care of one, Smith runs away from the other...it's the third and fourth guys who are problems...and the cannon they were shot out of!
I do agree that they need to let Aldon get more playing time over the end of the season

lol. funny stuff.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
7.5 sacks with 5 regular season games to go.

leads the team in sacks.

still a rookie, and still learning a new position.

I'd say the guy looks damn good, and was well worth the #7 pick in the draft.

IMHO.

I agree not sure what he has to do to be better. Miller is amazing, Reed is benefitting from players around him.

I love it :-D. But of course, some members of NinerTalk will then complain that he doesn't get a sack on every down. And what about his low punt block numbers?
Share 49ersWebzone