LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

What does the team do with Alex Smith after this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What does the team do with Alex Smith after this season?

Originally posted by HessianDud:
the only one who loves Josh Johnson is Jim Harbaugh.

that's good enough for me.

The correct word may be "loved."

We don't know what Harbaugh thinks of Johnson now other than he didn't trade for him - which by itself doesn't mean much either.
Originally posted by Nuns:
Ideally, 3 year 15 million. If he wants more than that, franchise him and see if he can do it two years in a row. If he does, pay the man.

LOL. The bad QB's get $5 Million a year. Why would he want that? He got that this year. He's playing well above that level. He will get double that.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by taney71:
Well, I can't believe it, but I voted extension. Alex will be a good game manager and our franchise QB until we get someone better. I don't see Kaep as being that person, so we need to keep fishing. The only way we get Luck is if he breaks his leg and tears both ACLs.

I'm glad you came around man. It would be stupid to let Smith go with no proven option. It isn't like good QBs grow on trees in the NFL.

When you say "we need to keep fishing" do you mean draft or FA or both?

definitely both. Anytime your QB is called a "game manager" and winning is predicated on your RB, ST, and D to put the team on their backs, then you have a problem. Once Smith keeps doing what he's doing but posting about 100 yards more per game, then I will see things differently. Smith is a stop-gap right now, good enough to get us to the playoffs if everything around him - rest of O, D, ST, and coaching are all perfect or near perfect. Compare that to what we now know about Manning: the whole team revolved around his presence. We have the exact opposite situation here, where we are trying to make the QB position something that doesn't make us lose the game.

10 TD's, 2 Int's and a 97.3 rating and ranked #6 in the league of quarterbacks is far better than a game manager. He's HELPING US WIN. He's part of the reason why.
Have sex with him for winning a super bowl then taking a dump directly on Jamie Dukes head afterwards.
3 years - 20 million-ish.

I don't know why people keep saying 5 mil/year. That's what he's getting paid right now. That's what decent back ups get paid. Alex is a competitive starter in the top 15. There is no way Tom Condon takes anything less than 7mil-8mil/year unless he's a worthless agent.

Now of course, this contract will be back loaded and completely incentive based but that's neither here nor there. If Alex f**ks up it will be more like a 3 year 12 mil contract.
Originally posted by fastforward:

The correct word may be "loved."

We don't know what Harbaugh thinks of Johnson now other than he didn't trade for him - which by itself doesn't mean much either.

true, i was kind of joking anyway. but you're right we have no idea what Harbs thinks of JJ now. We'll find out though...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Well, I can't believe it, but I voted extension. Alex will be a good game manager and our franchise QB until we get someone better. I don't see Kaep as being that person, so we need to keep fishing. The only way we get Luck is if he breaks his leg and tears both ACLs.

I'm glad you came around man. It would be stupid to let Smith go with no proven option. It isn't like good QBs grow on trees in the NFL.

definitely both. Anytime your QB is called a "game manager" and winning is predicated on your RB, ST, and D to put the team on their backs, then you have a problem. Once Smith keeps doing what he's doing but posting about 100 yards more per game, then I will see things differently. Smith is a stop-gap right now, good enough to get us to the playoffs if everything around him - rest of O, D, ST, and coaching are all perfect or near perfect. Compare that to what we now know about Manning: the whole team revolved around his presence. We have the exact opposite situation here, where we are trying to make the QB position something that doesn't make us lose the game.

10 TD's, 2 Int's and a 97.3 rating and ranked #6 in the league of quarterbacks is far better than a game manager. He's HELPING US WIN. He's part of the reason why.

yup. besides, all quarterbacks are game managers. and when you're winning is predicated on Special Teams, Defense, and a coherent and well-executed offensive philosophy (in this case, a power running WCO), that's not a problem, that's brilliant football. It's a team game, and when a team has no weaknesses, when all the units function in harmony, its incredibly difficult to beat that team.
i posted this in the dilfer thread but this thread seems to be more visited i would like an answer

btw i have a question what is a game manager?

throughout joe montanas career under walsh he averaged 28 throws a game
alex throws around 26

for the basic part of his career under walsh he averaged around 231 yards a game (3700 yards for the season) with his most being in single season averaging 240 yards a game
granted alex is only averaging 190 yards a game but this season he had a shortned offseason (and according to snyder we have only used about 40% of our playbook)

in each one of montanas seasons except one they have ran more than they passed

the same goes with luck in stanford in 2010 harbaugh season they ran 260 more times than they passed

and a FYI i am not comparing any of the QBs im comparing the type of offenses they run
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Yeah, I have to go with SanDiego ... Smith is more than a game manager but I'm ok if the 9ers search for a better QB. However, I would love for the team to focus on retaining players and getting better at WR and DB.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i posted this in the dilfer thread but this thread seems to be more visited i would like an answer

btw i have a question what is a game manager?

throughout joe montanas career under walsh he averaged 28 throws a game
alex throws around 26

for the basic part of his career under walsh he averaged around 231 yards a game (3700 yards for the season) with his most being in single season averaging 240 yards a game
granted alex is only averaging 190 yards a game but this season he had a shortned offseason (and according to snyder we have only used about 40% of our playbook)

in each one of montanas seasons except one they have ran more than they passed

the same goes with luck in stanford in 2010 harbaugh season they ran 260 more times than they passed

and a FYI i am not comparing any of the QBs im comparing the type of offenses they run

"game manager" is a meaningless term on its own, but it is a veiled criticism of a player for being "unspectacular"--basically a player that doesn't do risky things. A spectacular quarterback--or "gunslinger"--is one who generally makes risky throws, and often completes them at the same rate that he doesn't, and throws TD's just slightly more than he throws INTs, and who does things like scramble around and then toss the ball to a RB with an underhand flip.

In fact all of this is meaningless. Brett Favre is the proto-typical gunslinger (career records for TD's and INTs) and Tom Brady (the one who won three Super Bowls, not the one who breaks passing records) is the proto-typical game-manager. Both are Hall of Famers, both are all-time greats. What it really comes down to is, what is the offensive philosophy and can the QB execute it?

Yeah, I have to go with SanDiego ... Smith is more than a game manager but I'm ok if the 9ers search for a better QB. However, I would love for the team to focus on retaining players and getting better at WR and DB.

The big problem is that the 49ers does not have much time to "search for a better QB." Other than Brees who will almost for sure be locked up again by the Saints, there is no QB available in 2012 who is proven to be better than Smith. For better or for worse (depending on how you think of him), Alex Smith is a known quantity. Only in the scenarios where he regresses in 2012 or his compensation demands are too unreasonable that would make re-signing him not a non-brainer. Of course re-signing Smith would mean the 49ers committing to the Smith - Kaepernick succession model. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
Originally posted by ItsKapTime:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
sign both Alex Smith and Josh Johnson to a 2 year contracts. May the best man win.

lol I still dont get why people are so in love with Josh Johnson

Hes a backup at best, Theres no way we sign him and let him compete for the starting job if Alex continues to play like this..

In the 4 games he started 4 TDs 8 INTs 7 fumbles (1 lost) 50.9 Passer Rating
Originally posted by global_nomad:
sign both Alex Smith and Josh Johnson to a 2 year contracts. May the best man win.

lol I still dont get why people are so in love with Josh Johnson

Hes a backup at best, Theres no way we sign him and let him compete for the starting job if Alex continues to play like this..

In the 4 games he started 4 TDs 8 INTs 7 fumbles (1 lost) 50.9 Passer Rating

meh. i'm not saying we should go after him, but Harbaugh knows him, likes him, he'll be available, and he wants to go somewhere where he can compete for a starting job, and he has said he would like to be reunited with Harbaugh. It's really not much of a stretch that we could bring him in. If we go deep into the playoffs or win the Super Bowl, obviously its unlikely that anyone but Smith would be the starter next year. But if we don't? Johnson is very much a possibility, but not a guarantee.

Alex's first four starts were worse statistically, and he has improved over time and been managed well with this staff in this offense...just sayin'.
Originally posted by English:
That would be sensible. Leaving us with an untried project of a qb who has taken half a dozen NFL snaps. Good thinking.

Smith has had a remarkable half-season, but I have no idea why so many people think he has now reached his ceiling. Apart from one brief year of Norv he has not really seen much in the way of quality coaching. He is still young and IMO, still developing. I expect to see a continuing improvement as Harbaugh works with him.

And of course the team will re-sign Smith. It would be ridiculous to let him walk.

If you think about what he is doing, why can't Kaep do that? Its not like we couldnt sign a vet like David Garrard for cheap. Nobody is downing Smith's accomplishments but it is too big of a risk to sign him to a HUGE CONTRACT again.
[ Edited by 305Niner on Nov 12, 2011 at 7:04 PM ]
Originally posted by 305Niner:
Originally posted by English:
That would be sensible. Leaving us with an untried project of a qb who has taken half a dozen NFL snaps. Good thinking.

Smith has had a remarkable half-season, but I have no idea why so many people think he has now reached his ceiling. Apart from one brief year of Norv he has not really seen much in the way of quality coaching. He is still young and IMO, still developing. I expect to see a continuing improvement as Harbaugh works with him.

And of course the team will re-sign Smith. It would be ridiculous to let him walk.

If you think about what he is doing, why can't Kaep do that? Its not like we couldnt sign a vet like David Garrard for cheap. Nobody is downing Smith's accomplishments but it is too big of a risk to sign him to a HUGE CONTRACT again.
u dot see a difference between having a coach who actually gameplans and a coach who doesnt?

not to mention this will be the first time we will have continuity in an offense
Share 49ersWebzone