There are 230 users in the forums

Will the Passing Game Develop in time for the playoffs?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will the Passing Game Develop in time for the playoffs?

If we keep finding ways to win, that's all that matters. I think if the team keeps their high level of play up throughout each game things will happen. At this point we are far exceeding anyone's expectations and hopefully this trend continues. So do we really need to ask this question, I think we have developed a winning attitude as a team and would love to see it translate more into the passing game as well but this reminds me when we transitioned from Montana to Young.

What reminded me of this was when Alex dropped back to pass and was ready to throw the ball to Crabtree but he held it back. At that instant I thought he was going to take off and run then he quickly threw it to Crabtree as he altered his route and found an opening in the defense. I remember I would cringe whenever Steve would drop back to pass and never really thought he was accurate. He would do this many times in a game, where he would hold back passes scramble then find someone open or take off running. Through the years Steve became more comfortable with the WCO and we all know what happened after that. I see the same thing going on now and I hope history repeats itself. GO NINERS!
[ Edited by gamechanger on Oct 31, 2011 at 8:36 AM ]
Yes, now that Edwards is back the chemestry will develop and it seems little by little Crabs & Smith are developing. ASmith MUST start to become more accurate when people are open [twice to Crabs] if we are to progress thru the playoffs. It takes both running and passing to beat quality teams.

Steelers looked very strong yesterday. Although I think we'll beat the Cards - they gave the Giants a hell of a game and should not be taken lightly.
I sure hope it's ready, as I suspect we're going to need it. I'm still not sold on our secondary's ability to keep us out of shootouts with elite passing teams. Subsequently, I think it's going to take a bit of luck on D and an improved passing offense to keep us in those games.

I've got my fingers crossed, though. As Niner4life21 pointed out, there's still lots of time.
Originally posted by thojess:
Why no one seems to get this baffles me. The passing game is just fine. If you want to minimize mistakes, you don't throw more than you need to in order to WIN THE GAME. This isn't fantasy football. We don't get extra points for going over 200 yards passing. Sometimes I wonder if Fantasy football has rotted out peoples brains. We are owning the time of posession. We are owning the ground game. Why should we concern ourselves with passing yard totals? Joe Montana went over 4000 yards ZERO times in his career, and has one of the best winning percentages in history. Passing yards are WAY overrated by you kids these days. lol

Spot on, the fantasy football mentality is puzzling. Some folks can't seem to grasp the difference between it and the real thing.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
With Gore going over 125 and scoring every game why would it?

-We need to get VD involved more.

This.
We need to in order to win a playoff game.
I don't think so and it will be a big problem! Our style of play is great but come playoff time we will need to be able to pass the ball and convert 3rd downs, we are LAST in the league! We will most likely get a 1st round bye and a home game (because our division sucks) but ultimately we will fail because our passing game is very sub par. I would love to be wrong but I feel I am very right.
I think Alex will have a good chemistry with EVERYONE by the time the playoffs get here

Even though they have missed soem plays I like that we are targeting Crabtree a lot. The Chemistry between him and Alex will come
  • dj43
This is a team that is still discovering its identity in many areas. On defense, the pass rush has been non-existent for a decade but is now looking to take an identity position. The secondary, helped in large part by the pass rush, is also playing at a higher level than most expected. No one expected Bowman and Brooks to play as they have. Even the much maligned Haralson has stepped up his game.

On offense the OL is finally coming around to provide a more dependable level of protection to allow the passing game an opportunity to assert itself, however, that has only been a fact in the most recent games. As we all know, the early season was close to a train wreck on numerous occasions. It now appears that problem has been solved, in large part by the insertion of Snyder at RG and more playing time together.

The missing piece then in the passing game is at wide receiver. As others have noted, losing Morgan, the only WR with which Alex Smith has had any significant amount of time with, has hurt the passing game a great deal. We all know how limited Crabtree's practice time has been and Edwards has only now returned to regular practice time. Other than those two, this team has only Ginn, a recognized disappointment as a receiver (though a terrific return man), and Kyle Williams who has failed to show enough to even displace Ginn in the role of the 3rd WR. Hence, it seems only logical that if Edwards and Crabtree remain healthy the potential for a much improved passing game will be realized.

Also, this is not a defense that is going to allow the team to get into a shootout with any team other than possibly Green Bay. Even then, Rodgers has been susceptible to pass rush in the past. As a result, Harbaugh will continue to game plan in the best way possible to allow the team to win. As long as the running game continues at the level it has thus far this season, we can expect to see him use that not only to move the ball, but to keep the opponent off the field.

Finally, I recall Bill Walsh's view on what I call "hire a thief to catch a thief." When George Seifert was his DC, they used to sit around and take each other's game apart. Walsh would explain to Seifert where his offense might be attacked and Seifert would do the same with his defense. The parallel is that Harbaugh knows where his team is vulnerable and where it is strong. He will continue to emphasize the strengths until the weaker areas are improved. When that happens, the overall offense will be a load for anyone. I expect that to happen in the passing game in the next 3 to 4 weeks.
[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 31, 2011 at 9:09 AM ]

Why do you guys keep posting 'Chemistry"?? Its not that! Alex has done a pretty good job managing the team but when you consistantly over throw guys its not chemistry its accuracy.
Pittsburg showed why we can beat these high octane offenses. You keep the ball away from them. Lots of first downs control the ball, control the line of scrimmage. If our offense gets first downs we can win those games. If the rams can beat the saints so can we. If we cant get first downs then our defense gets exposed and we will be in for a very long game.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Why do you guys keep posting 'Chemistry"?? Its not that! Alex has done a pretty good job managing the team but when you consistantly over throw guys its not chemistry its accuracy.

The only guy he has accuracy issues with is Crabtree
Pretty much from day one it has been obvious that Smith is not going to win the Captain Accuracy award. JH and staff gave him an offense that confuses the opposition enough to let him succeed. And he has. Now, take him out of that and he will not do as well, as we have seen for many years now!

I was a Nate Davis fan when SingleCell was coaching because I thought he was the only guy who could run around and do unexpected things that might break down the defense. It was even a good thing that Davis may not know the play because the play sucked. Poor Smith knew the play and stuck with it and so he failed.

I always thought that SingleCell banished Davis because he did run around and had some success outside of the planned offense and that made his unsuccessful offense look bad.

Coaches like Smith because he does what they want, exactly per the plan, without drama.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

The only guy he has accuracy issues with is Crabtree

Yesterday he missed Edwards and threw behind him.
Share 49ersWebzone