LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Am i the only one waiting for the other shoe to drop?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Amir:
We will go through a rough patch but I don't see us losing 4-5 games in a row, not with Harbaugh as coach.

I have never seen Alex Smith play so well in back to back games as he did against Philly and Tampa, I think the 4-1 record is real and not a mirage.
In the past we've lost to less talented teams which led to extended losing streaks. I believe those days are over. I think we'll hit a wall at some point and have a WTF game. It happens to every team. I could see a scenario where we play well against and/or beat the Lions (who will likely be a little flat) and then blast the Browns after the bye . . . then the team ends up digging themselves a little too much and focus is lost for the game against the Redskins. Hopefully I'm wrong.

But I'm not at all worried about a full regression to pre-2011 incompetence.
Originally posted by ninersush:
i'm in the same boat. i think for me to feel comfortable or lose the this isn't real feeling or whatever it is i need to see ONE thing and ONE thing only.

Alex smith carrying the offense the team on his back. this defense has been playing lights out. to know our team is for real, our defense has to have a bad game against a good team like the lions (unlike philly that is not a good team so far this year) so that we will be in a real shoot out against a spectacular dline and decent to solid back 7. if alex can thrive in this situation with near constant pressure from their offense to score and their defense to run for life, then i will probably feel comfortable with alex and thus our team. even if we don't win, alex should not be the reason we lost.

just my humble opinion. not an alex thread/post.

Well said. A couple of clutch plays from Alex to seal the deal against the Lions and I'm all in.
While everyone obviously wants a win this week, dont be too negative if we drop this one. We will still be 4-2, atop the division and have a pretty favorable schedule coming off the bye. I honestly believe we beat the lions. then we have a bye, come back and beat the browns.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Its different this year, this coaching staff actually knows what they are doing. I fully expect us to compete in every game and get to the playoffs. I do expect some bumps in the road but the coaching staff seems to competent on over coming them.
Originally posted by susweel:
Its different this year, this coaching staff actually knows what they are doing. I fully expect us to compete in every game and get to the playoffs. I do expect some bumps in the road but the coaching staff seems to competent on over coming them.

Who knows, we can have a 4 or 5 turnover game that's just "one of those days".
I HAVE BEEN BELIEVING ALL YEAR AND ITS TIME FOR EVERYONE TO BELIEVE AGAIN

yes, I do realize its a long season...
[ Edited by Magzarillious on Oct 11, 2011 at 11:33 AM ]
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
I'm as cynical as they come and I felt the way way you do up until the Bucs game. I expected a let down but we straight demolished a good team. Right now I think we can beat anyone. Seriously. Harbaugh knows WTF he's doing. Detroit will be a very tough game, but I think we can win. And if we do, we're a top 5 team, easy.

Tend to agree with this. But my attitude also changed with the Bucs game. Flash in the pan teams do NOT blow out opponents like we blew out the Bucs. They tend to get lucky and win a lot of games by three to seven points, and get it done with lucky breaks here and there.

I'll admit, we got some lucky breaks against the Eaglets. But there was nothing lucky about the Bucs game. We owned them from the opening whistle.

Nope, I think this team is for real. And I was way, way, way wrong about Harbaugh, Smith and a whole lot of other folks...
Originally posted by susweel:

Another thing to note is Harbaugh's wariness of players getting over confident, which leads to complacency. If he can keep players in check, his approach should get this talented team far into the post season. NINERFORLIFE12 , you still don't realize what a good coach can do for a team, cause all of your recent experiences was what bad coaches can do to a talented roster.
no 4-5 game losing streak with the d playing the way it is, the offense working the way it is(very few mistakes, and starting to light up the scoreboard), and harbaugh as our coach.

Either way, this game is a good barometer for the level of improvement of the 49ers this year. I'm favoring the Lions here quit heavily because their strengths are our weaknesses. Namely, our o-line is weak and their d-line is dominant. On the flip side, on D gives up tons of passing yards and Detroit's offense is geared towards the pass.

I guess you could also say that our rushing attack plays well against Detroit's mediocre rush defense. My head tells me Detroit wins handily, but I hope we shove the ball down Suh and Fairley's throat in a repeat of the Buc's game.
I don't know if the "other shoe will drop," but I am a bit worried that people are all getting way ahead of themselves only 5 games into the season. I mean, the media are all jumping on the bandwagon with the latest power rankings, and that never seems to work out well. Let's hope the Niners truly are legit and carry this on the final 11 games of the season... we still have a long way to go though, so I will wait a while before I get too excited.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I definitely can't see a 4 or 5 game losing streak happening. Harbs has us extremely well prepared to avoid any extended losing streak.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Dude don't you mean "Nut"
Originally posted by NINERFORLIFE12:
Don't get me wrong, I am fully enjoying the season so far, but I can't help but think that our annual 4-5 game losing streak will inevitably happen. For the past 8 years or so we always have a losing streak that brings right back to where we started. I don't think a long losing streak will happen with this team but I can't help but have reservations in the back of my mind.

Am I the only one having trouble fully believing in this team that we are true contenders in the NFC?
how big is the other shoe
Share 49ersWebzone