LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 147 users in the forums

out of all our one year contracts who are you most afraid of losing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Carlos Rogers. Goldson and Smith are a distant second and third but if Alex keeps playing like he has so far this season I would really hate to see him go. Edwards is probably the one I am least afraid of losing at the moment. He hasn't really done anything yet.
Isn't Brooks contract up?
Sign Everyone, LOL
  • rserda
  • Veteran
Rogers for sure, To me he reminds of when we acquired Walt Harris.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Yes, Brooks is also a FA we need to focus on. Don't know how much it will take to retain him though.
  • rserda
  • Veteran
It shouldn't matter how much it takes to resign him. He needs to be resigned. Hopefully a lot of these guys will see what we have brewing here and will want to come back.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Yes, Brooks is also a FA we need to focus on. Don't know how much it will take to retain him though.
Originally posted by rserda:
It shouldn't matter how much it takes to resign him. He needs to be resigned. Hopefully a lot of these guys will see what we have brewing here and will want to come back.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Of course, it matters how much. Let's not be combative just for the sake of it. If Brooks wants a contract like SD's Shaun Phillips? ( 6 yr / 31 mil ) ... do we cough up that kinda dough?

If Brooks wants to test the market to seek a huge deal from teams that will overbid each other for him, he will... why wouldn't he see if he can snag one large contract in FA before his age catches up with him?
Originally posted by 190836:
I didn't buy into Baalke's FA this year. Boy, was I wrong. Bring them all back.

You're not the only one that was dissing Baalke in the off-season. There are a lot more people that are eating crow right now. I'm not going to say I was overly optimistic in the off-season, but I wasn't one of the Baalke haters. Looking back on it, we had an amazing off-season. Including the draft.
If Alex continues to thrive there is no way he will leave Harbaugh... That'd be foolish, and Alex is anything but that.

I think Braylon will come on strong when he returns, but he too will want to stay. Same for Rogers.

Honestly, I've always loved Goldson... I hated possibly losing him and still would, but upgrading that spot via the draft would ease the loss, and I still think Reggie Smith would be a better overall cover option back there.

Ginn may look for a team where he's a higher depth option at WR... and we all know the value of a good returner, and clearly he's more than just good for us.

In all reality our success, youth, and new dynamic coaching staff is going to allow us to both hold on to, and lure in a lot of quality free agents, and it seems at least that our front office will know exactly how to attack free agency to put us in the best position to find success moving forward.
Originally posted by sactomkiii:
smith, rodgers, edwards, and goldson are possible one and done's, not to mention ginn and I think morgon who are FA next year.We know we can't keep all of them who are you most afraid of losing next year?

Alex Smith isn't going anywhere regardless of how the rest of the season plays out. Carlos Rogers is the guy I'm most afraid of losing, followed by Braylon Edwards. I think they'll both sign extensions before the season is done, though.

Rogers tops my list as well. I have a feeling that the earlier poster was correct about having him matched up against the Lions #2. It'd be great if he can hold that down so Spencer and Goldson can *try* to double Johnson. Man, that's going to be tough.

I like what Edwards brings to the table, but we need to see more than the 1.5 games that he's played before I'd feel really great about a bigger contract.

Smith is going to be interesting. He'd playing as good as we've ever seen him, but not the type of eye-opening stats that usually have other teams hungry to sign you. Not to mention his history, plus a couple of good QB prospects in the upcoming draft. I'd like to resign him, I'm just having trouble nailing down what the cost of doing so would be.
alex wont leave regardless of money

we can prolly throw a low ball offer his way
Definitely. Having had quarterback issues for a decade, let's risk losing a guy who appears to have finally broken through. That would be sensible. Let's put next season into the hands of a rookie with just a couple of snaps in the NFL.
Rogers >>>>> Everyone else!
Rodgers, Smith
Share 49ersWebzone