There are 227 users in the forums

Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Actually my view of that would be the more throws you have, the more drops you should have seeing how there are more chances for drops. If you have more drops with less thows, that means you are dropping more passes. But, I don't even know the conversation going on here so I could be completely off base.

Statistically wise the more throws you have, the more the drop percentage stabilizes, and coupled with the more defenses the team plays against, the number will be more indicative about the passing game that team has.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I agree in that I think Alex can get better and likely will if he stays with Harbaugh. By the same token, I think guys like Romo/Rivers (and even Bradford, over time) could become more efficient passers under the Harbaugh approach (great defense/special teams, power run game and strategic use of the passing game). In other words, I think they can make all the plays Smith does, and a number of the ones he can't. But that's just my opinion and i realize I could be wrong.

I disagree, because what sets Smith apart now is his maturity. He's been through the ringer as far as a professional career goes and he's only 27 (seriously, you can't make up the ebb and flow of his career. If Hollywood had written a movie like this it would be criticized for being over the top). Romo is 31, Rivers is about to turn 30 and I would have to say that maturity level, ability to maintain cool and keep an even keel in order to guide and lead a team are the shortcomings these guys have. There is so much more to football than physical ability and it is in the intangibles, game management, etc that these guys are lacking. Alex has always had physical skill--even if his is not the best in the league--but now he is among the best in preparation, knowledge, maturity, leadership. That's why I still take him.
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninermedic:
I agree in that I think Alex can get better and likely will if he stays with Harbaugh. By the same token, I think guys like Romo/Rivers (and even Bradford, over time) could become more efficient passers under the Harbaugh approach (great defense/special teams, power run game and strategic use of the passing game). In other words, I think they can make all the plays Smith does, and a number of the ones he can't. But that's just my opinion and i realize I could be wrong.

I disagree, because what sets Smith apart now is his maturity. He's been through the ringer as far as a professional career goes and he's only 27 (seriously, you can't make up the ebb and flow of his career. If Hollywood had written a movie like this it would be criticized for being over the top). Romo is 31, Rivers is about to turn 30 and I would have to say that maturity level, ability to maintain cool and keep an even keel in order to guide and lead a team are the shortcomings these guys have. There is so much more to football than physical ability and it is in the intangibles, game management, etc that these guys are lacking. Alex has always had physical skill--even if his is not the best in the league--but now he is among the best in preparation, knowledge, maturity, leadership. That's why I still take him.

Difficult to imagine Smith elsewhere next year
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/Difficult-to-imagine-Smith-elsewhere-nex?blockID=607678&feedID=5884

I agree with this and I cant wait until The Niners can get a full offseason of work together
Originally posted by est1985:
Originally posted by valrod33:
408 attempts for Rodgers
321 for Alex

Im no rocket magician but I dont think 408 is twice as much as 321

It was more of a figure of speech on my part. Regardless though, they throw the ball down the field a whole lot more than we do and those are a lot harder to connect than the check downs we throw. And we still drop so many short/check down throws.
Actually my view of that would be the more throws you have, the more drops you should have seeing how there are more chances for drops. If you have more drops with less thows, that means you are dropping more passes. But, I don't even know the conversation going on here so I could be completely off base.

Please see my thread aboutnstats or refer to oTC's comments about a dozen pages earlier. % ofndrops per att has 9ers at #2 by a distance. Gb's 6 drops last game makes it look different than it has been for them all season. They were one of the teams with the fewest drops per pass.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
It'll be fun to see Alex in the Pro Bowl this year. If he isn't voted in, he will likely get in as an alternate. Well deserved.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
This is 2011. VD gets double teamed in the red zone. Remember the non throw to Crabtree that everyone was talking about in the Seattle game...Smith's initial look was to VD. He was bracketed by 2 guys. Remember the 4th down play in the Lions' game, VD drew 2 defenders with him into the end zone, giving room for Delanie to run a slant without closing on another defender on his way into the end zone.

If you have to go back to '09 to come up with that stats on VD, you know the defense has been doing a job on VD down in the end zone. They have very actively taken away VD in the red zone. You now see VD scoring from the outside, or what do they sometime call it-- the green zone...? and mostly to the corner.

You can't say Alex has no red zone threats and then say Vernon Davis demands double coverage every time he's in the red zone. Right there in that statement you are acknowledging that Vernon Davis is a red zone threat.

Go back to 09 and you will see Vernon scoring touchdowns on bracket coverage. Calvin gets doubled almost every time too, Detroit's still going to pick their spots and challenge that coverage. The difference between now and 09 is we had to score those touchdowns then, now we're perfectly fine taking the points.

Double coverage on Vernon means single coverage elsewhere.

This isn't Alex bashing either. We weren't this inept in the red zone before. You go back to 09 we were 5th in red zone scoring percentage. 23 touchdowns in 39 trips. 2010 we dropped to 45%. This year we're 31st and with a 38.1% TD ratio.

With our defense I don't blame us for playing safe in the red zone, but I do think it's something that has to be worked out. Playoff time against the Saints and Packers you're going to have score some TD's.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:03 PM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Come on now, don't you start oldman. We're just trying to have a civilized conversation...with a bunch of nutjobs!!! I don't know how many times I have to say that I love the way Smith is playing this year, and I'm excited that he's led this team to a 10-2 record. But because (when asked) I think guys like Rivers, Romo and even Bradford would do just as well in this system (or maybe better), all of a sudden I'm a hater?

Makes no sense.

I can't understand it either Ghost

At this point I see nothing left to do but...

Not a hater, but I just don't see what those guys have done? Romo? He has cost his team many games this season. Look at the Detroit game where they blew a huge lead due to Romo's stupid mistakes. Rivers fumbled a ball in the redzone and blew a game. He's also thrown quite a few picks this season at crucial times, Bradford he's having a worse season than Alex had his 2nd season by far, but he's somehow better?

These guys get more yards and amazing plays, but that also leaves them vulnerable to making big mistakes. Huge mistakes. Why would that change here?

~Romo with one of the top defenses in the league (ours) would be a better option than Smith (IMO) as he wouldn't have to play such a high risk game
~Rivers when playing with one of the better defenses in the league (Chargers 2006 - 2009) led his team to multiple playoffs (Smith is going to his first playoffs)
~Bradford had a better rookie season than Smith by far. In fact, Bradford's rookie season was better on most counts than any of Smith's seasons prior to this one. I'm not going to discount Bradford for one bad season (his second), just as I'm sure you didn't discount Smith for his multiple bad seasons prior to this one.
So your answer is...? Trade for Romo, Rivers, or Bradford? Or just complain incessantly about our QB is playing excellent football and has led our team to 10-2?

The hate just runs DEEP in some people, they can't let go.

Dude, seriously? You didn't even bother to read my other posts on the last few pages. You just assume things and comment without bothering to look for any context, all the good things I've been saying about Alex (in the past and especially today), how I agreed with Harbaugh in bringing back Alex and for keeping him as the starter all year and even beyond if we win it all, and why I'm talking about these other QBs?

People, READ and COMPREHEND before you reply, I beg you.

Your backpedal technique is excellent today, sir! You should see if your local high school JV team needs a DB coach

Show me where I've backpedaled. Please.

It's all good man. If I somehow Jedi mind tricked you into saying positive things about Alex Smith, then today was a success.

LOL @ keeping Alex Smith "if we win it all." As if his play so far this season doesn't already warrant that.

Come on man, PLEASE give us some options at QB that you think we should pursue. And if you say that we should bring in Kaepernick in the red zone I might flip out

Pot, meet backpedaling kettle.

If Alex melts down in the playoffs (I hope he doesn't, and I don't think he will), it won't be as clear cut as you might think that we bring him back. I've already said (if you'll bother to read) that there are no other options this year, we're living and dying with Alex for the rest of this year and I'm perfectly fine with that. I really can't say that any more clearly, but I'm sure you'll ignore that too since it doesn't fit your meme.

As for the future, I would be as confident in Kap starting the 2012 season as I would Alex if Harbaugh felt he was ready. It's the same reason I had confidence in Alex once Harbaugh said he wanted him back. Point being, I have confidence in HARBAUGH to turn his starting QB into a winner, regardless of who it is. Which is why I can say that Romo, Rivers, Bradford, whomever, would thrive in this system.

You have some backpedalling competition from JoeCool. Get to work

Still waiting for you to show me where I backpedaled. Oh wait, you can't. That's right. Shame. You can be a smart ass all night long, but can't actually back up what you're saying. Now I'm starting to feel sorry for you!
Nice try.

Backpedalling - "to retreat from or reverse one's previous stand on any matter; shift ground: to back-pedal after severe criticism."

This is the definition of you and JoeCool during this thread.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
A Boomer sighting. Holy crap.

Now back on topic, as a previous poster mentioned, our primary Red Zone targets in the past were Morgan (often used on the corner route) and Vernon (stick route).

Braylon was supposed to help with being the jump ball guy. He's dropped a few he got his hands on, and now he's hurt and not much of a factor.

Spreading the field make sense. It opens up the possibility of more quick routes, QB draw, RB shovel pass, etc. -- We need to give it a shot, in my opinion.

The funny thing is... I think Williams is the only receiver who's actually managed to catch the fade route this season.

Some guys can out play their size. Hopefully Williams is one. In the end size may not matter. If he has shown he can do it, why not throw to him. Steve Smith just gets it done. Maybe Williams too.

Steve Smith was the first guy I thought of when I watched highlights of Williams after we drafted him. His body frame, speed, athleticism, balance, and ability to "pluck" the ball at it's high point all are very similar to Smith. His acrobatics are obvious, I hope we continue to develop him the way we have this season.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/Difficult-to-imagine-Smith-elsewhere-nex?blockID=607678&feedID=5884

I agree with this and I cant wait until The Niners can get a full offseason of work together

Congrats. Shaj, Fly15, sus, leathaface, and Diry9er are all crying now. Are you happy????

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Congrats. Shaj, Fly15, sus, leathaface, and Diry9er are all crying now. Are you happy????

Very
[ Edited by valrod33 on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:09 PM ]
You missed the first part where I say "I'm fine with bringing back Alex." So I said nothing about wanting to dump Alex or that we should or that he deserves to be kicked aside or anything like that, only that if Harbaugh decided that Kap was ready (they traded up to get him for a reason), I would trust that. And if he wanted Alex back as the long-term starter, I would trust that too. And why wouldn't I?

Nope... didn't miss anything. That wasn't my point. I get that yu claim to be okay with Alex.

Its the attempt at understanding that you'd be "fine with them moving on to Kap", that still throws a major red flag for me. If ANY fan says "yeah, sure... I'd be fine with the front office's decision to throw an unproven QB or FA under center... despite the fact that we had a proven top 10 one already under center." I have a lot faith in Harbaugh's decision too, but that would be a stretch to say I'd be all comfy with that arrangement. When teams build a QB into a top 10 winner, they don't go throwing that player out just because they THINK they might have some other option. Especially a player like Alex... who shows a constant dedication to work hard and get better. All this talk is pointless though... Alex will be back... everyone better just fu*king accept that and deal with it.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/Difficult-to-imagine-Smith-elsewhere-nex?blockID=607678&feedID=5884 ;

At this stage in the season, it seems unfathomable that Smith will be anywhere else in 2012. The 49ers will want Smith back. And Smith will want to return. And it seems implausible that another organization will try to lure him away by out-bidding the 49ers. Any team in need of a QB will be well-versed in Smith's history as a player who has not been provided any stability in his career. The 49ers will not have make Smith among the highest-paid QBs in the NFL. Early speculation around the league is that the 49ers could re-sign Smith to a two- or three-year contract for $8 million to $11 million annually. It's possible that Harbaugh and his staff had no idea that Smith would be as efficient this season as he has turned out. But working with him every day, there is a belief that Smith can get better and the passing game can continue to improve. The 49ers will expect the QB position, as a whole, to be better next season. There's no doubt about that. And that can be accomplished without making a change to their depth chart. After all, Smith and Kap and Tolzien were good enough to comprise the 49ers' depth chart in 2011. And each of those players should be improved next season.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Come on now, don't you start oldman. We're just trying to have a civilized conversation...with a bunch of nutjobs!!! I don't know how many times I have to say that I love the way Smith is playing this year, and I'm excited that he's led this team to a 10-2 record. But because (when asked) I think guys like Rivers, Romo and even Bradford would do just as well in this system (or maybe better), all of a sudden I'm a hater?

Makes no sense.

I can't understand it either Ghost

At this point I see nothing left to do but...

Not a hater, but I just don't see what those guys have done? Romo? He has cost his team many games this season. Look at the Detroit game where they blew a huge lead due to Romo's stupid mistakes. Rivers fumbled a ball in the redzone and blew a game. He's also thrown quite a few picks this season at crucial times, Bradford he's having a worse season than Alex had his 2nd season by far, but he's somehow better?

These guys get more yards and amazing plays, but that also leaves them vulnerable to making big mistakes. Huge mistakes. Why would that change here?

~Romo with one of the top defenses in the league (ours) would be a better option than Smith (IMO) as he wouldn't have to play such a high risk game
~Rivers when playing with one of the better defenses in the league (Chargers 2006 - 2009) led his team to multiple playoffs (Smith is going to his first playoffs)
~Bradford had a better rookie season than Smith by far. In fact, Bradford's rookie season was better on most counts than any of Smith's seasons prior to this one. I'm not going to discount Bradford for one bad season (his second), just as I'm sure you didn't discount Smith for his multiple bad seasons prior to this one.
So your answer is...? Trade for Romo, Rivers, or Bradford? Or just complain incessantly about our QB is playing excellent football and has led our team to 10-2?

The hate just runs DEEP in some people, they can't let go.

Dude, seriously? You didn't even bother to read my other posts on the last few pages. You just assume things and comment without bothering to look for any context, all the good things I've been saying about Alex (in the past and especially today), how I agreed with Harbaugh in bringing back Alex and for keeping him as the starter all year and even beyond if we win it all, and why I'm talking about these other QBs?

People, READ and COMPREHEND before you reply, I beg you.

Your backpedal technique is excellent today, sir! You should see if your local high school JV team needs a DB coach

Show me where I've backpedaled. Please.

It's all good man. If I somehow Jedi mind tricked you into saying positive things about Alex Smith, then today was a success.

LOL @ keeping Alex Smith "if we win it all." As if his play so far this season doesn't already warrant that.

Come on man, PLEASE give us some options at QB that you think we should pursue. And if you say that we should bring in Kaepernick in the red zone I might flip out

Pot, meet backpedaling kettle.

If Alex melts down in the playoffs (I hope he doesn't, and I don't think he will), it won't be as clear cut as you might think that we bring him back. I've already said (if you'll bother to read) that there are no other options this year, we're living and dying with Alex for the rest of this year and I'm perfectly fine with that. I really can't say that any more clearly, but I'm sure you'll ignore that too since it doesn't fit your meme.

As for the future, I would be as confident in Kap starting the 2012 season as I would Alex if Harbaugh felt he was ready. It's the same reason I had confidence in Alex once Harbaugh said he wanted him back. Point being, I have confidence in HARBAUGH to turn his starting QB into a winner, regardless of who it is. Which is why I can say that Romo, Rivers, Bradford, whomever, would thrive in this system.

You have some backpedalling competition from JoeCool. Get to work

Still waiting for you to show me where I backpedaled. Oh wait, you can't. That's right. Shame. You can be a smart ass all night long, but can't actually back up what you're saying. Now I'm starting to feel sorry for you!
Nice try.

Backpedalling - "to retreat from or reverse one's previous stand on any matter; shift ground: to back-pedal after severe criticism."

Give me one example, or STFU. Should be simple, right?
Nice try.

You just don't get it. Oh well.
Originally posted by okdkid:
It'll be fun to see Alex in the Pro Bowl this year. If he isn't voted in, he will likely get in as an alternate. Well deserved.

Does the NFL show the tally for Pro Bowl votes before the deadline?
Share 49ersWebzone