LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I know it's off topic, but I just rewatched the rams game and I noticed something pretty damn funny. Right before the kyle williams touchdown throw the camera zooms in on Alex's face while he's in the shotgun performing the snap count. You can see Alex crack a smile while looking at the coverage, and you can tell that he is doing his best not to outright laugh.
Over the last 5 games Alex has averaged 224.6 yds a game with a 64.62 completion percentage. Would put him at 19th in the league but that's better than 27th in the league where he currently is. If we applied a 5 game running average to his stats I think at the end of the season we'd see him some where in the top 15 in the league when it comes to yards a game.

Oh and that completion percentage would put him 5th in the league although he's currently 7th with a 63%
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Agree with both gnnhan7 and Joecool on this! Size does help in the RZ but good receivers help more. Edwards and Crabtree (when healthy) should be monsters in the RZ, Edwards due to size and strength and Crabtree because he snags the ball out of the air on high passes really well. Toss in VD, who has proven himself to be a very good RZ receiver and the 9ers have great options...when they choose to use them.

Calling three straight runs inside the five yard line is not my idea of an effective RZ offense. But four field goals were three more than the 9ers needed last Sunday.

I think these are the reasons why we are not scoring in the Red Zone in order of importance and impact.

1. Play Calling
2. Play Design (Kyle Williams would be kill are any slant in/cut out routes.
3. QB isn't letting that ball rip into tight spots consistently and accurately as he did on the throw to Delanie vs DET.
4. WR's not making the catch
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't see their guys having hands like Ginn and Edwards and even VD ocassionally. This team still has way too many drops. NFL wr's / te's are supposed to be able to catch. Like hitting the guy between the 1 and the 9 and getting a drop. Or a perfect 50 yard bomb, hitting a guy in full stride, on the finger tips....DROP.

GB and NE have among the best "hands" team guys in the league.

Green Bay has alot of hands problems. They had the same amount of drops as us going into the Giant game and then added 6 drops in that game alone. Rodgers still put up 380 yards and 38 points so you'd never know the difference. James Jones has the worse pair of hands in the league and Finley drops some too.

The last person to have drop problems for New England was Ben Watson. With them it's by product of their environment. They don't put up with any sh*t. You can't catch the ball they'll drop you on the spot.

You can't compare our drops to GB's drops; they throw twice as much as we do.
Originally posted by firehouse538:
I know it's off topic, but I just rewatched the rams game and I noticed something pretty damn funny. Right before the kyle williams touchdown throw the camera zooms in on Alex's face while he's in the shotgun performing the snap count. You can see Alex crack a smile while looking at the coverage, and you can tell that he is doing his best not to outright laugh.

Shades of Young in the '94 playoff against the Bears. He saw the Bears coverage at the goal-line, cracked a smile cause he knows it's going to be a TD
Originally posted by est1985:
I don't see their guys having hands like Ginn and Edwards and even VD ocassionally. This team still has way too many drops. NFL wr's / te's are supposed to be able to catch. Like hitting the guy between the 1 and the 9 and getting a drop. Or a perfect 50 yard bomb, hitting a guy in full stride, on the finger tips....DROP.

Green Bay has alot of hands problems. They had the same amount of drops as us going into the Giant game and then added 6 drops in that game alone. Rodgers still put up 380 yards and 38 points so you'd never know the difference. James Jones has the worse pair of hands in the league and Finley drops some too.

The last person to have drop problems for New England was Ben Watson. With them it's by product of their environment. They don't put up with any sh*t. You can't catch the ball they'll drop you on the spot.

408 attempts for Rodgers
321 for Alex

Im no rocket magician but I dont think 408 is twice as much as 321
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

So options? I'm fine with bringing back Alex. I'm fine with Kap as the starter. I'd be fine Tolzien if JH thought he was the man, or I'd be happy if we signed Josh Johnson as a free agent. As long as we have Harbaugh as our head coach, bring it on.

Let me start by saying I have read and comprehended all of your posts over these days. (shame on you for going so low on the "nut-hugger" bit)

But this part... this part just leaves me .

We finally have a QB steadily in the top 10 and helping us to a record of 10-2... and you would "be fine and happy if we signed ______ or started ______ while dumping said proven QB ???

Does this not leave most people (aside from clear detractors) not doing this??? ---->

You missed the first part where I say "I'm fine with bringing back Alex." So I said nothing about wanting to dump Alex or that we should or that he deserves to be kicked aside or anything like that, only that if Harbaugh decided that Kap was ready (they traded up to get him for a reason), I would trust that. And if he wanted Alex back as the long-term starter, I would trust that too. And why wouldn't I?
Originally posted by valrod33:

408 attempts for Rodgers
321 for Alex

Rocket magician? They good at counting?
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
You missed the first part where I say "I'm fine with bringing back Alex." So I said nothing about wanting to dump Alex or that we should or that he deserves to be kicked aside or anything like that, only that if Harbaugh decided that Kap was ready (they traded up to get him for a reason), I would trust that. And if he wanted Alex back as the long-term starter, I would trust that too. And why wouldn't I?

I totally agree with this. Before the season many on here (myself not included as I wanted Alex back regardless) said the ONLY reason they would accept Alex back is because Harbaugh trusted him and they trusted Harbaugh.

Fast forward to today and Jim Harbaugh's no better than any other coach, Alex Smith is Jesus and guys who say Alex is playing great but still trust Harbaugh to make the correct call regarding the QB position are haters.

408 attempts for Rodgers
321 for Alex

It was more of a figure of speech on my part. Regardless though, they throw the ball down the field a whole lot more than we do and those are a lot harder to connect than the check downs we throw. And we still drop so many short/check down throws. 

• Jiks
408 attempts for Rodgers
321 for Alex

It was more of a figure of speech on my part. Regardless though, they throw the ball down the field a whole lot more than we do and those are a lot harder to connect than the check downs we throw. And we still drop so many short/check down throws.
Actually my view of that would be the more throws you have, the more drops you should have seeing how there are more chances for drops. If you have more drops with less thows, that means you are dropping more passes. But, I don't even know the conversation going on here so I could be completely off base.
Rocket magicians make space disappear!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Rocket magicians make space disappear!

Paraphrasing what was said earlier this year:

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I can see it now, whenever Alex makes a single mistake, all we're going to hear is: "Lambabi, OH TEE CEE, DEE JAY, San deeaygo 9er, wayhre yoo at now jok sniffrs!?"
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 7, 2011 at 12:55 PM ]

I dont follow GB all that much, but even if our numbers were spot on, I have to say the difference between the two teams drop's, is the quality of drops.

For some reason we seem to drop the ball more at crucial times. Mostly converting on 3rd downs. We all talk about how bad that stat is, and not everytime, but it seems like whether a short or long third down, the main 2 things that happen is either we drop the ball, or we may get a penalty for 5 yards, or sumthing.

Like I said, its hard to compare the drops because they seem to catch them the most during those crucial moments in GB, and us, we tend to drop or have a miscue somewhere.
Share 49ersWebzone