LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Grant Cohn says we will go to playoffs this year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Shaj:
I was really talking about Smith. You know that. Past performance is the best predictor of future performance. That is as real as it gets.

Not always true, Steve Young is just one example, then there is Rich Gannon. Hell Rodgers sucked at first, go look at Joe Montanas numbers his first couple of years, look at Mannings rookie year, there are literally hundreds of examples that show that what you are saying is not true on a fundamental level. Another good one is Brett Favre, he was great for quite a few years, then he sucked last year. In the NFL things are always changing, does this mean Smith will? Who knows? We can only wait and see.

There are so many holes in your rebuttal that I could drive a hummer throug them. do you really want to do this?

Agree with Shaj. Young, Gannon, Montana, Manning, Farve et al. all have one thing that our starting QB does not. They all had/have at least one great season. They all had/have one very good season. They all have/had one good season.

Alex Smith has never had a good season. Period. His seasons fall into the range of STINK, STANK and STUNK.

Anyone who believes that Harbaugh is going to transform this kid into something he's not and will never be (a winner) is smoking some serious Ganhj.

so they also have all had a coach who doesnt give the gameplan ahead of time an were in an ooffense where you were allowed to audible

oh ya there coach aslo made in game adjustments
Originally posted by dwy621:
It is not as far fetched as you think. The las vegas odds makers have the 49ers and Rams with the most wins in the division this season. The odds makers are usually right or pretty darn close.

This is the best argument of all. Oddsmakers have Powers.
Negatives:
  • First-year coaches haven't often posted an improved record from the previous year. Bill Walsh repeated a 2-14 record his first year. If Harbaugh to Singletary what Walsh was to Pete McCulley/Fred O'Connor, we stay at 6-10. If there is even more distance between Harbaugh and Singletary than Walsh and his predeccessors, then maybe 7-9 or 8-8.
  • More than half the defense is new or playing new positions
  • Shorter offseason than usual
Pluses
  • Talent, on paper, exists in most positions
  • 7-9 record in NFC West made playoffs last year
  • ?
Not enough pluses. We'll probably go 6-10
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Negatives:
  • First-year coaches haven't often posted an improved record from the previous year. Bill Walsh repeated a 2-14 record his first year. If Harbaugh to Singletary what Walsh was to Pete McCulley/Fred O'Connor, we stay at 6-10. If there is even more distance between Harbaugh and Singletary than Walsh and his predeccessors, then maybe 7-9 or 8-8.
Pluses
  • ?

The only thing about comparing Walsh's record of 2 wins that does not translate to today is Free Agency. Harbaugh grabbed Free Agents where he felt there was a weakness and where we couldn't acquire through the draft.

Also, Walsh brought in what would be called an alien offense. Now, most players are very familiar with the WCO and apply it a lot sooner.

Now consider that we really didn't have an offense the past two years. It's difficult to judge.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
The Faithful are by definition, those who keep the faith comrade.

Eviscerate the proliferate!
I know but it sounded like the Faithfuls are those who thinks permanently negative.
i want us to make the playoff yes. but the greedy side of my wants us to get andrew luck
Originally posted by sacniner:
We'll win the West. We have the most talent and Smith will be serviceable.

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by sacniner:
We'll win the West. We have the most talent and Smith will be serviceable.

IMO smith will get better and better (if he wins division makes playoff and signs extension) he is supposed to be better with continuity and with a knowledgeable coach i belive he will only get better as years come

of course this is all premaature he ha to make the playoffs this year in order to get that extension
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
IMO smith will get better and better (if he wins division makes playoff and signs extension) he is supposed to be better with continuity and with a knowledgeable coach i belive he will only get better as years come

of course this is all premaature he ha to make the playoffs this year in order to get that extension

smith will get better as the season goes on, as he starts to trust himself and the WR's.

Its going to be a blast improving our #24 offense to like number 14 or something.
The 49ers can make the playoffs between now and "mathematically eliminated" timeframe.

Originally posted by 49ersking:
The 49ers can make the playoffs between now and "mathematically eliminated" timeframe.

I like the way you think.
Making the playoffs isn't that big of stretch, considering the division that the Niners play in. Does that mean I expect them to make the playoffs? No, not at the moment.

The Niners MUST get that horrible O-line to improve. I see alot of ppl dogging Alex, but the O-line is by far the bigger liability
  • kray28
  • Veteran
They will not make the playoffs...you heard it here first.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Negatives:
Pluses
  • ?

The only thing about comparing Walsh's record of 2 wins that does not translate to today is Free Agency. Harbaugh grabbed Free Agents where he felt there was a weakness and where we couldn't acquire through the draft.

Also, Walsh brought in what would be called an alien offense. Now, most players are very familiar with the WCO and apply it a lot sooner.

Now consider that we really didn't have an offense the past two years. It's difficult to judge.

also, of minor note, 99.9999999% of coaches that start out with 2 wins do not later become a Bill Walsh.

[ Edited by BETTERDAYZ9ERS on Sep 9, 2011 at 10:25 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone