Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/09/inside-the-49ers/2011-nfl-predictions/

He is smoking crack...

He's actually spot on...

Not all of us need to use pessimism as a security blanket

LOL! Pessimism is a security blanket? Drinking kool aid and delusions of grandeur are a security blanket. Since when does not prognosticating a playoff season feel good or lend security? I hate that feeling. Nobody likes that. I have no clue what you are talking about. If you are just trying to make a witty and cute comment, fine. but if you are trying to make a logical point, it was a fail.

Predicting failure is a mechanism to protect ones self from being let down, it is a pretty straightforward and well recognized reaction some exhibit. You and a few others here use it all the time. It is safer for you guys to predict failure than to think for one minute that the team might be better than they are. If you are right you get the petty satisfaction of an I told you so moment, if you are wrong you get to share in the glory of a winning season. One more thing to clear up while we are on the subject, being negative does not equate to being a realist, there are too many posters here that make that claim. This fan base is called The Faithful, it is truly a shame that there are some that cannot live up to it. Can you dig it?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/09/inside-the-49ers/2011-nfl-predictions/

He is smoking crack...

He's actually spot on...

Not all of us need to use pessimism as a security blanket

LOL! Pessimism is a security blanket? Drinking kool aid and delusions of grandeur are a security blanket. Since when does not prognosticating a playoff season feel good or lend security? I hate that feeling. Nobody likes that. I have no clue what you are talking about. If you are just trying to make a witty and cute comment, fine. but if you are trying to make a logical point, it was a fail.

Predicting failure is a mechanism to protect ones self from being let down, it is a pretty straightforward and well recognized reaction some exhibit. You and a few others here use it all the time. It is safer for you guys to predict failure than to think for one minute that the team might be better than they are. If you are right you get the petty satisfaction of an I told you so moment, if you are wrong you get to share in the glory of a winning season. One more thing to clear up while we are on the subject, being negative does not equate to being a realist, there are too many posters here that make that claim. This fan base is called The Faithful, it is truly a shame that there are some that cannot live up to it. Can you dig it?

That's actually a pretty good assessment, generally speaking. However, I do not agree with your statement that one cannot believe the niners will miss the playoffs and still be a realist. We have 3 unproven backups at the most important position on the team (QB). I don't know how much more real it gets than that.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I hope he's right.
That's actually a pretty good assessment, generally speaking. However, I do not agree with your statement that one cannot believe the niners will miss the playoffs and still be a realist. We have 3 unproven backups at the most important position on the team (QB). I don't know how much more real it gets than that.

I made no such statement, as a practicing realist, I honestly do not have enough inside information about this team to do anything more than guess if little Cohn is right or not.
I made no such statement, as a practicing realist, I honestly do not have enough inside information about this team to do anything more than guess if little Cohn is right or not.

QFT

We all do that whether we choose to accept or believe it.

Just like Roman said in yesterday's Q&A session...

Q--He does have a history of coming in cold and going 100 percent. Do you take that in account what happened in 2009, and what even happened last year?
A--“I really don’t. The past is the past, and it’s irrelevant. I worry about now, and really, the future.”

I take the same approach!
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

yeah, but all this rhetoric that the past is irrelevent is completely ludicrous. Ghadaffi should be put back into power then, because what he did in the past is irrelevent. He might exhibit saint-like behavior in the future. lol.

yeah, but all this rhetoric that the past is irrelevent is completely ludicrous. Ghadaffi should be put back into power then, because what he did in the past is irrelevent. He might exhibit saint-like behavior in the future. lol.
Bad analogy Shaj, this is not last years team, they are not running a system that was first etched on the back of the Ten Commandments. The past is irrelevant to what is going to happen this year. we do not start off with a 6-10 record, we start the same as everyone else 0-0. Hell half the players at key positions have changed and all but two of the coaching staff.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

Bad analogy Shaj, this is not last years team, they are not running a system that was first etched on the back of the Ten Commandments. The past is irrelevant to what is going to happen this year. we do not start off with a 6-10 record, we start the same as everyone else 0-0. Hell half the players at key positions have changed and all but two of the coaching staff.

I was really talking about Smith. You know that. Past performance is the best predictor of future performance. That is as real as it gets.
I was really talking about Smith. You know that. Past performance is the best predictor of future performance. That is as real as it gets.

Not always true, Steve Young is just one example, then there is Rich Gannon. Hell Rodgers sucked at first, go look at Joe Montanas numbers his first couple of years, look at Mannings rookie year, there are literally hundreds of examples that show that what you are saying is not true on a fundamental level. Another good one is Brett Favre, he was great for quite a few years, then he sucked last year. In the NFL things are always changing, does this mean Smith will? Who knows? We can only wait and see.

Not always true, Steve Young is just one example, then there is Rich Gannon. Hell Rodgers sucked at first, go look at Joe Montanas numbers his first couple of years, look at Mannings rookie year, there are literally hundreds of examples that show that what you are saying is not true on a fundamental level. Another good one is Brett Favre, he was great for quite a few years, then he sucked last year. In the NFL things are always changing, does this mean Smith will? Who knows? We can only wait and see.

A little different considering Smith was a rookie like 7 years ago. Most rookies don't play well, with a few exceptions, but by year 3-4 they show at least something.

Who knows, Smith may turn it around, but most feel he has outstayed his welcome. He has to earn any support he gets. I hope he has a miraculous turn around with Harbaugh. It would be a great story, but I'm only expecting what he has shown us the past 7 years.
[ Edited by smithgdwg on Sep 9, 2011 at 11:22 AM ]

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
AZ will have a rough season. Kolb is going to find out that the Cardinals are not his father's Eagles. He is going to look very ordinary at best

If he lights it up, it's going to be really fun listening to all the excuses as to why he played well and why he should not get credit for it (great coaching, great surrounding cast, blah blah blah), mostly because he makes Alex look bad if he jumps into a new system and plays well out the chute. That's how it works here.

You care way too much about what other people think.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

There are so many holes in your rebuttal that I could drive a hummer throug them. do you really want to do this?
Excuse--
1. to regard or judge with forgiveness or indulgence; pardon or forgive; overlook (a fault, error, etc.)
2. to offer an apology for; seek to remove the blame of:
3. to serve as an apology or justification for; justify
The man is right.
It is not as far fetched as you think. The las vegas odds makers have the 49ers and Rams with the most wins in the division this season. The odds makers are usually right or pretty darn close.
Share 49ersWebzone