LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

How much are Harbaugh, Edwards, West Coast Offense, etc. worth to Alex Smith's game?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Didn't most of those stats come from when defenses were playing soft coverages?

if our defense does a good job keeping the game close this year...and opposing defenses are not playing soft coverages...then how will those #s help us out? If he had most of those good stats when it counted, then it would have been obvious to see.

to me, his best game was against the Jaguars at the stick.
Seahawks last year at the stick was no good?
Originally posted by Afrikan:

if our defense does a good job keeping the game close this year...and opposing defenses are not playing soft coverages...then how will those #s help us out? If he had most of those good stats when it counted, then it would have been obvious to see

It's funny how alex smith is the only QB in the league who got most of his stats against soft coverage. In garbage time as some say around here.
How is "whatever changes the 49ers make" good for Alex Smith?

I think the question should be, how is this going to help Frank Gore? He is going to be the straw that stirs the drink in this offense. I doubt they are going to trust Smith to fling the ball around too much - at least not if the running game is working.
[ Edited by djfullshred on Sep 9, 2011 at 8:28 AM ]
Originally posted by djfullshred:

I think the question should be, how is this going to help Frank Gore? He is going to be the straw that stirs the drink in this offense. I doubt they are going to trust Smith to fling the ball around too much - at least not if the running game is working.

Our offense goes as Frank Gore goes. It's up to the coaches, Alex, OL, and the WR's to decide if they want to help out. NO opponent is afraid of Alex Smith. Every opponent has the Stop the Gore, Stop the Niners game plan 1st.

Gore and now Kendal Hunter will be vital to our success.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Our offense goes as Frank Gore goes. It's up to the coaches, Alex, OL, and the WR's to decide if they want to help out. NO opponent is afraid of Alex Smith. Every opponent has the Stop the Gore, Stop the Niners game plan 1st.

I think Harbaugh is going to do the exact opposite of what you guys and every other team is thinking. I think we put a balanced attack to work and take what the defense is giving. If they are stacking the box, we will likely try to throw outs and slants to spread them out so we can run, if they are laying back in zones, we will feed them a heavy dose of Frank and Kendal. I do not think anything is set in stone, that is a Singletard move.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Another Alex Smith thread.... Really??

I miss the Alex Smith Bandwagon

That helped the zone out of cluttered Smith threads
Originally posted by aTx49er:

if our defense does a good job keeping the game close this year...and opposing defenses are not playing soft coverages...then how will those #s help us out? If he had most of those good stats when it counted, then it would have been obvious to see

It's funny how alex smith is the only QB in the league who got most of his stats against soft coverage. In garbage time as some say around here.

I think HessianDud actually made a post a while back to totally refute that argument, showing second half and 4th quarter numbers. Seems as though Alex didn't have any more "garbage time" numbers than the rest of the league.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/09/11/bRattob-Shut-up-about-Alex-Smith-/landing_ratto_v3.html?blockID=561850&feedID=2800
  • dj43

A critical part of WCO is that is spreads the ball around. It does not rely on just one guy/position.

I agree Gore is the greatest threat on the team, however, if JH has the WCO operating well, Gore will be even more effective, as will Vernon Davis and Edwards and Alex and everyone else on the offense. It is why the WCO has been the model for some of the best offenses the game has seen in the last 30 years.

As someone else has said, why is this WCO thread only about the QB? It is really about the offense as a whole. We finally have an offensive philosophy that is proven successful as opposed to the stuff in the recent past that has a HS concept at its center, if that.

Originally posted by dj43:

A critical part of WCO is that is spreads the ball around. It does not rely on just one guy/position.

I agree Gore is the greatest threat on the team, however, if JH has the WCO operating well, Gore will be even more effective, as will Vernon Davis and Edwards and Alex and everyone else on the offense. It is why the WCO has been the model for some of the best offenses the game has seen in the last 30 years.

As someone else has said, why is this WCO thread only about the QB? It is really about the offense as a whole. We finally have an offensive philosophy that is proven successful as opposed to the stuff in the recent past that has a HS concept at its center, if that.

Yes it does. It heavily relies on the QB to spread the ball. That's why I say Alex needs to help Gore out by letting the Defensive Coordinator know that he can be beat from the pass.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by aTx49er:

I think HessianDud actually made a post a while back to totally refute that argument, showing second half and 4th quarter numbers. Seems as though Alex didn't have any more "garbage time" numbers than the rest of the league.

would love to see that post again....did it go into detail about what the score was, when Alex threw most of his TDs?
  • dj43

Yes it does. It heavily relies on the QB to spread the ball. That's why I say Alex needs to help Gore out by letting the Defensive Coordinator know that he can be beat from the pass.

My point was that it is not JUST the QB. Of course the QB is the center of all offenses. It is the most important single position in all of sports, blah, blah, blah. However, if Vernon doesn't learn to read and adjust, and if the slot doesn't settle into the zone at the right time, etc., etc., the QB has no place to go.

That was my focus...

I think we can all agree that if Smith plays like he did against SD and for the Oakland game, sans that one throw, we will be happy.

My point was that it is not JUST the QB. Of course the QB is the center of all offenses. It is the most important single position in all of sports, blah, blah, blah. However, if Vernon doesn't learn to read and adjust, and if the slot doesn't settle into the zone at the right time, etc., etc., the QB has no place to go.

That was my focus...

I think we can all agree that if Smith plays like he did against SD and for the Oakland game, sans that one throw, we will be happy.

Don't worry about Vernon Davis. He will provide his. Let us worry more about the guy who still has more to prove than a 3rd grader in Geometry.

BTW, if Smith plays like he did in preseason, then we will lose. Regular season, he will need to play faster.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM ]
Originally posted by FL9er:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/09/11/bRattob-Shut-up-about-Alex-Smith-/landing_ratto_v3.html?blockID=561850&feedID=2800

best thing i have seen from ratto in a while!
[ Edited by 76Razor on Sep 9, 2011 at 12:39 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone