LISTEN: What's Stopping The 49ers From A Super Bowl Run? →

There are 131 users in the forums

The OFFICIAL Scott Tolzien Time Traveling Delorean of TRIUMPH!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I wanted Tolzien to succeed, I really did. He is just one of those great QB minds that will probably be a fine teacher and a coach....just not a player in this league.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
remember danny wuerffel?
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
ever notice how low tolzien's elbow is lots of times?
Originally posted by zillabeast:
I wanted Tolzien to succeed, I really did. He is just one of those great QB minds that will probably be a fine teacher and a coach....just not a player in this league.

This could end up being the case. But man, I'm torn on the #2 at the moment (about to watch the game here in 30). Tolzien has the experience in OUR system and sees decisive. Colt has NFL-game experience. They both are an absolute toss-up and both have looked poor. That said, I can't dismiss how poor the OL is, RB's, and I can't even tell if the WR's are blowing chunks also (not helping) or seem absent d/t the aforementioned factors. But as it stands now, it's CK, Tolien or Colt and probably BJ Daniels.
Why has this fool regressed?
Bye !
  • Jiks
Dude is a poor mans Shaun Hill.
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
sorry kaep fans

tolzein> kaep

i would feel much more confident if he stepped on the field

this
I want Tolzien to be our 2nd string QB
Kaep sucks, Im convinced that he's just a faster version of Tebow until he changes his release

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
dudes...........

I know it's only preseason, but that means nothing when it comes to timing, ball placement and reading a defense. Tolzien was by far the most impressive QB tonight. He should be ahead of CK.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Two things I learned from tonights game:

1) Tolzien has good poise in the pocket.

2) We need to make Kaepernick a WR

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
At some point Kaep will be better than Tolzien and be a starter on this team. But right now I would take Tolzien as a backup to Smith.

Originally posted by NCommand:
This! It was interesting hearing the commentators talking about how pissed Baalke was that Tolzien went to San Diego (b/c he really wanted him as an UDFA) and consequently, watched him tear us up in pre season. But yeah, he, to me, and I felt this all along, is a QB whereas Kaep is a great athlete. So if Alex goes down, no doubt I want the better QB in there and that would be Tolzien. His decision making has always been very quick; great command of the offense and really good ball placement where the WR can run with it.

Originally posted by rubbersoul80:
agree that Tolzien looks like a real QB. He's not overly mobile nor does he have a great arm. He definitely has great instincts though and is VERY accurate. Just look at the plays that were called for him, they were drop back passes. I think he's a rich man's Shawn Hill and I see him ending up the #2.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I'm inclined to agree.

Originally posted by Apone:
No he won't. Unless you were willing to do another 7 years of Alex Smith like experiment all over again. So far CK's has shown very little. Take away where those two guys were drafted and put them side by side and ST just looks more like an NFL QB. It's been dissected to peaces in this site, but CK is too fundamentally and mechanically flawed. Too flawed IMO to ever be a good starting QB in the NFL. He sadly reminds me a lot of Alex Smith; athletically gifted, but someone that came from a weak conference, in a spread offense, who is mechanically flawed and etc. That 70 yard run was a thing of beauty, but it's going to mask, the errand/inaccurate throws, him locking on to receivers, and that awful slow delivery. If the 49ers want this guy to succeed they have wait, but I don't know if they're are willing to go that route as they did with Smith. The fact that he is in competition to be the back up QB tells me they're not.

boast knows.

I'm not getting all preseason mvp or anything but the differences are obvious. And to say Tolzein can be nothing more than a good backup is an argument based on nothing. Like no QB in history has come up through the ranks and been successful.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Man I am even more down on Tolzein. I'll take a guy who get's rid of the ball on time and accurately all day (Brady, Montana) over the runner. We have running backs and receivers who can run the ball. I would much rather have him as the two. At the end of the day though. Josh Johnson is really going to have to show me something if I were the guy making cuts.

Originally posted by 4evrfan:
For the second time in a game they both played, Tolzien has lookwed markedly better than Kaep. There's really no comparison. Is Kaep the more physically gifted? Yes. Is Tolzien the better QB? Yes. He's smart, poised, accurate, has a quicker release and yes, his arm is plenty strong enough. Some of those passes were bullets.
And you can't really blame that int on him. His pocket collapsed around him and his arm got hit. In fact, he made most of his completions under some type of duress. It's too bad that Kaep's draft position may play a part in who backs up Alex. Right now, it should be Tolzien! He looked like he belonged under center, whereas Kaep looked like a guy still learning how to be an NFL QB. Too soon to judge Johnson.

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Remember kiddies, Harbaugh wanted this guy just as much as he had wanted Kaep. We had an 'inside hook' through Geep Chryst's brother, Paul, who was (at the time) Wisconsin/Tolzien's offensive coordinator (who also ran a WC-system).

We were actually gonna draft this guy in the later rounds in 2011, but let him slip into UDFA thinking we could easily 'scoop him up' the moment the CBA was settled... but Scott at the time ended up picking SD over 'us' because he felt he had a better shot at being a backup QB in San Diego (since we had drafted Kaep days previous).

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/49ers-sign-rookie-quarterback-Scott-Tolzien-2310718.php

Paul Chryst, the brother of 49ers quarterbacks coach Geep Chryst, was Tolzien's offensive coordinator during his four-year career at Wisconsin and presumably offered a glowing scouting report on his protege.

According to Tolzien's agent, Joe Panos, Geep Chryst contacted Tolzien before the draft, during the draft and after the lockout ended. Panos said Tolzien made a "gut-wrenching decision" to rebuff San Francisco and sign with San Diego, which did not draft a quarterback in April.

Originally posted by AkNiners:
If I were making up a depth chart based based on the first preseason game alone, it would look like this: Tolzein, Smith, Kaep and then Johnson. But that would be silly, and a poor way to run a football team. I'm looking forward to the rest of the month and what Scott has to show us, The guy looks like a real QB, and the Shaun Hill comparisons have to stop, his arm is surprisingly strong, a couple throws tonight were on a rope. Johnson lost his job tonight, no doubt about it, and Kaep better be looking over his shoulder.

Originally posted by BrianGO:
If I were making up a depth chart based based on the first preseason game alone, it would look like this: Tolzein, Smith, Kaep and then Johnson. But that would be silly, and a poor way to run a football team. I'm looking forward to the rest of the month and what Scott has to show us, The guy looks like a real QB, and the Shaun Hill comparisons have to stop, his arm is surprisingly strong, a couple throws tonight were on a rope. Johnson lost his job tonight, no doubt about it, and Kaep better be looking over his shoulder.

Completely agree with that order. In this single preseason game, Tolzein looked like the best of the bunch. Not sure why Tolzien is only compared with Kaep. Kaep had to run the QB option most of the time, they started to give him some more opportunities in the pocket, but then the quarter ended. Only so much game time to go around.

^^^

lol
to be fair, he did look like s**t that first preseason game. he was terrible

49ers are in truble......
But ah, he has regressed since last year...or the backup OL is that bad.
This dude is done, poor mobility, poor arm strength, still looks confused as all hell even though he would be starting his THIRD season with the team....time to cut bait.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
sorry kaep fans

tolzein> kaep

i would feel much more confident if he stepped on the field

this
I want Tolzien to be our 2nd string QB
Kaep sucks, Im convinced that he's just a faster version of Tebow until he changes his release

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
dudes...........

I know it's only preseason, but that means nothing when it comes to timing, ball placement and reading a defense. Tolzien was by far the most impressive QB tonight. He should be ahead of CK.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Two things I learned from tonights game:

1) Tolzien has good poise in the pocket.

2) We need to make Kaepernick a WR

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
At some point Kaep will be better than Tolzien and be a starter on this team. But right now I would take Tolzien as a backup to Smith.

Originally posted by NCommand:
This! It was interesting hearing the commentators talking about how pissed Baalke was that Tolzien went to San Diego (b/c he really wanted him as an UDFA) and consequently, watched him tear us up in pre season. But yeah, he, to me, and I felt this all along, is a QB whereas Kaep is a great athlete. So if Alex goes down, no doubt I want the better QB in there and that would be Tolzien. His decision making has always been very quick; great command of the offense and really good ball placement where the WR can run with it.

Originally posted by rubbersoul80:
agree that Tolzien looks like a real QB. He's not overly mobile nor does he have a great arm. He definitely has great instincts though and is VERY accurate. Just look at the plays that were called for him, they were drop back passes. I think he's a rich man's Shawn Hill and I see him ending up the #2.
I'm inclined to agree.

Originally posted by Apone:
No he won't. Unless you were willing to do another 7 years of Alex Smith like experiment all over again. So far CK's has shown very little. Take away where those two guys were drafted and put them side by side and ST just looks more like an NFL QB. It's been dissected to peaces in this site, but CK is too fundamentally and mechanically flawed. Too flawed IMO to ever be a good starting QB in the NFL. He sadly reminds me a lot of Alex Smith; athletically gifted, but someone that came from a weak conference, in a spread offense, who is mechanically flawed and etc. That 70 yard run was a thing of beauty, but it's going to mask, the errand/inaccurate throws, him locking on to receivers, and that awful slow delivery. If the 49ers want this guy to succeed they have wait, but I don't know if they're are willing to go that route as they did with Smith. The fact that he is in competition to be the back up QB tells me they're not.

boast knows.

I'm not getting all preseason mvp or anything but the differences are obvious. And to say Tolzein can be nothing more than a good backup is an argument based on nothing. Like no QB in history has come up through the ranks and been successful.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Man I am even more down on Tolzein. I'll take a guy who get's rid of the ball on time and accurately all day (Brady, Montana) over the runner. We have running backs and receivers who can run the ball. I would much rather have him as the two. At the end of the day though. Josh Johnson is really going to have to show me something if I were the guy making cuts.

Originally posted by 4evrfan:
For the second time in a game they both played, Tolzien has lookwed markedly better than Kaep. There's really no comparison. Is Kaep the more physically gifted? Yes. Is Tolzien the better QB? Yes. He's smart, poised, accurate, has a quicker release and yes, his arm is plenty strong enough. Some of those passes were bullets.
And you can't really blame that int on him. His pocket collapsed around him and his arm got hit. In fact, he made most of his completions under some type of duress. It's too bad that Kaep's draft position may play a part in who backs up Alex. Right now, it should be Tolzien! He looked like he belonged under center, whereas Kaep looked like a guy still learning how to be an NFL QB. Too soon to judge Johnson.

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Remember kiddies, Harbaugh wanted this guy just as much as he had wanted Kaep. We had an 'inside hook' through Geep Chryst's brother, Paul, who was (at the time) Wisconsin/Tolzien's offensive coordinator (who also ran a WC-system).

We were actually gonna draft this guy in the later rounds in 2011, but let him slip into UDFA thinking we could easily 'scoop him up' the moment the CBA was settled... but Scott at the time ended up picking SD over 'us' because he felt he had a better shot at being a backup QB in San Diego (since we had drafted Kaep days previous).

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/49ers-sign-rookie-quarterback-Scott-Tolzien-2310718.php

Paul Chryst, the brother of 49ers quarterbacks coach Geep Chryst, was Tolzien's offensive coordinator during his four-year career at Wisconsin and presumably offered a glowing scouting report on his protege.

According to Tolzien's agent, Joe Panos, Geep Chryst contacted Tolzien before the draft, during the draft and after the lockout ended. Panos said Tolzien made a "gut-wrenching decision" to rebuff San Francisco and sign with San Diego, which did not draft a quarterback in April.

Originally posted by BrianGO:

Completely agree with that order. In this single preseason game, Tolzein looked like the best of the bunch. Not sure why Tolzien is only compared with Kaep. Kaep had to run the QB option most of the time, they started to give him some more opportunities in the pocket, but then the quarter ended. Only so much game time to go around.

You gotta love pulling up these old comments to see what people thought not so long ago.
Originally posted by ninermedic:
But ah, he has regressed since last year...or the backup OL is that bad.

Idk, Daniels did fine behind Center with nearly the same OL.
Share 49ersWebzone