LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 235 users in the forums

My prediction on the 49ers 53 Man Roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sfout:
I'd like to think they were banking on Johnson not doing so hot and sticking him on the practice squad to develop him for an insurance policy should morgan leave in free agency next year. I could be wrong though because I am not fully aware of Morgan's contract but I think he is a unrestricted free agent next year. Hopefully Edwards is true to his word and should he actually play at a #1/probowl level he doesn't bolt from SF after saying he'd like to stay here for a long time. Then with Edwards and Crabtree starting we'd essentially have a 4 way battle for the #3 job and in one hell of a good situation. But that all hinges on Edwards and his abilities.

Yeah, I think the team was thinking Johnson would make the team, especially with his experience playing under John Morton. He just does not look like an NFL receiver though (starter or backup). I think Ziegs could be a very effective 3rd or 4th WR in Harbaugh's offense. He has great hands and runs good routes. Though with Kyle Williams looking like a good slot receiver, that makes it that much tougher for Ziegs who is already behind the 8 ball coming of a torn ACL.

I think Braylon Edwards will have a (long) bright future with the 49ers, I really do. Morgan? We'll see. I keep reading mixed signals about him in regards to the new coaching staff thinks of him.
I think Norris, Wragge, Person (PS), RoJo (PS?), and Zeigler are gone. I think Kristik and Costanazo (sp?) are in an either/or situation. I think they hold onto Phillip Adams (strong, fast, instinctive CB, that just needs a few more weeks to be 100%. You don't quit on promising young CBs), Ian Williams (potential starting-caliber NTs don't stay on the PS), and Applewhite (or a waiver-wire pickup; they need at least 4 OLB to start the season). Spillman probably makes the team, since Colin Jones has disappointed as a ST ace, and Spillman is dece at S in a pinch.
8-8 with Alex Smith??? You're kidding right? We are not only looking at the Alex factor this year, but he has no O Line against the better teams to keep him upright. Now if we have 8 mediocre teams on our schedule, I would go with that 8-8 prediction, BUT we don't have 8 mediocre teams on our schedule.
Now to my point, I like this assessment of roster cuts. In fact, I hope it turns out this way. The only thing differernt is, I would like to see Anthony Dixon dance his way out off this team to make room for Omon. Omon c'Omon down!!!
[ Edited by LionHeartofGold on Aug 31, 2011 at 12:18 PM ]
I think Kaepernick will be ready to be a starting NFL QB by next year but he has already shown me he can be better than Alex Smith.

Could you tell me what he has shown to be better than Smith.....because I've yet to see it.....
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Quarterbacks (3) Alex Smith; Colin Kaepernick; Josh McCown
Running Backs/Fullbacks (5): Frank Gore; Kendall Hunter; Anthony Dixon; Bruce Miller; Moran Norris

Wide Receivers (6) Michael Crabtree; Braylon Edwards; Joshua Morgan; Ted Ginn Jr; Kyle Williams; Dominique Ziegler
Tight Ends (3) Vernon Davis; Delaine Walker; Konrad Reuland
Offensive Line (9) Joe Staley; Mike Iupati; Jonathan Goodwin; Chilo Rachal; Anthony Davis; Alex Boone; Adam Snyder; Daniel Kilgore; Tony Wragge

Defensive Line (6) Justin Smith; Issac Sopoaga; Ray McDonald; Ricky Jean Francois; DeMarcus Dobbs; Will Tukuafu

Linebackers (9) Patrick Willis; Navorro Bowman; Larry Grant; Blake Costanzo; Aldon Smith; Ahmad Brooks; Parys Haralson; Antwan Applewhite

Defensive Backs: (10) Carlos Rogers, Shawntae Spencer; Tarrell Brown; Chris Culliver; Tramaine Brock; Donte Whitner; Dashon Goldson; Madieu Williams; Reggie Smith; C.J Spillman
Special Teams (3) David Akers (K); Andy Lee (P); Brian Jennings (LS)

I think that they will only carry two qbs-Smith and Kaep.

RB-Norris and maybe even Dixon are gone, believe he is fighting Oman for a spot, could be wrong though

WR-probably keep only 5 so Zeiglar is gone. The rest I can't argue. RJ will end up on the practice squad.

TE-No arguements there.

I think the niners only will keep 8 linemen, so one of them has to go. My guess Chilo or Snyder with Person to Practice squad.

DL-sounds about right

LB-sounds plausible

DB-one of them may have to go, I kinda like adams, although he is coming back from an injury, don't know why but I think he will be good in the future, just needs to get over the ankle injury mentally.

ST-yep!

One thing this current staff is, it is not afraid to let people go.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
you list 8 LBs and say 9 in ().

And Id rather cut Zeigler, and keep Ian Williams.

My bad, I kept going back and forth between having Kristic on the team.
no biggie.

I didnt add them up, so I dont know if it was 53 or maybe 52 only, with an extra spot.

If its an extra, I would keep Kristick, more so over a WR or even a DL.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I think Norris, Wragge, Person (PS), RoJo (PS?), and Zeigler are gone. I think Kristik and Costanazo (sp?) are in an either/or situation. I think they hold onto Phillip Adams (strong, fast, instinctive CB, that just needs a few more weeks to be 100%. You don't quit on promising young CBs), Ian Williams (potential starting-caliber NTs don't stay on the PS), and Applewhite (or a waiver-wire pickup; they need at least 4 OLB to start the season). Spillman probably makes the team, since Colin Jones has disappointed as a ST ace, and Spillman is dece at S in a pinch.

Norris and Wragge make it, Wragge is so versatile. Keep Kristick, 5 WRS. and some how keep Ian Williams
no biggie.

I didnt add them up, so I dont know if it was 53 or maybe 52 only, with an extra spot.

If its an extra, I would keep Kristick, more so over a WR or even a DL.

It was 53 without Kristick.
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
I think Kaepernick will be ready to be a starting NFL QB by next year but he has already shown me he can be better than Alex Smith.

Could you tell me what he has shown to be better than Smith.....because I've yet to see it.....

Well, he can buy more time, can extend the play. Haven't you been watching? He isn't easy to bring down. When he is sacked, the other side did a good job of staying in their lanes and gaps, when they haven't, he gives the play more chance to happen. Smith hasn't shown that escapability ala Montana and Young. He just needs a chance to understand the system and his players and how to read NFL defenses.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Well, he can buy more time, can extend the play. Haven't you been watching? He isn't easy to bring down. When he is sacked, the other side did a good job of staying in their lanes and gaps, when they haven't, he gives the play more chance to happen. Smith hasn't shown that escapability ala Montana and Young. He just needs a chance to understand the system and his players and how to read NFL defenses.

Exactly! That is why I can already tell that Kap "Has it".

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Now let me say this, right now Alex Smith is a better NFL QB than Kap and best suited to be our #1. I think Alex Smith is a decent NFL starting QB. We can be an 8-8 team with him as our starter. That is pretty much the best we could do with him as our starting QB, IMO. I think in 2-3 years, we can be a superbowl team with Kaepernick as our starting QB.

lol.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:

He may get playing time by game 13.

Norris and Wragge make it, Wragge is so versatile. Keep Kristick, 5 WRS. and some how keep Ian Williams

Snyder is 5 positions of versatility now, and Kilgore is the new Wragge (intended to back up 3 interior OL spots). W/ Boone at swing tackle, Snyder as utility, and Kilgore available if two interior guys go down, the team can build for the future while openin up roster spots at other positions. On top of that, Wragge was still available after TC started, so they can call him if they need him during the season. Norris is missing WAY too many blocks (he can't sift through traffic, so he is completely useless on all zone plays, pass protections, an even a lot of gap/iso plays. Basically, he is good for power, when he has a straight line to his block, and it's always the same guy. We don't run enough of those in a game to keep him.
Dump Norris and Zeigler, add Ian Williams and Phillip Adams and I'm on board.

Snyder is 5 positions of versatility now, and Kilgore is the new Wragge (intended to back up 3 interior OL spots). W/ Boone at swing tackle, Snyder as utility, and Kilgore available if two interior guys go down, the team can build for the future while openin up roster spots at other positions. On top of that, Wragge was still available after TC started, so they can call him if they need him during the season. Norris is missing WAY too many blocks (he can't sift through traffic, so he is completely useless on all zone plays, pass protections, an even a lot of gap/iso plays. Basically, he is good for power, when he has a straight line to his block, and it's always the same guy. We don't run enough of those in a game to keep him.

I wouldn't exaclty call sucking at Center as being versatile. I mean, this would mean ICE is also versatile. We can use him as backup full back.
Share 49ersWebzone