LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

My prediction on the 49ers 53 Man Roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
"My prediction on the 49ers 53 Man Roster"

I stopped reading at this point. Dude - research. Know what you know, and know what you don't know.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
It was 53 without Kristick.
That's your problem. Kristick easily makes the 53 because he may be the smartest LB on the team and he's versatile. I read the same ignorant fan criticism last year with McKillop, Kristick, Davis, etc., and the year before with McKillop until he became a ST's ace. Kristick can play. He's a young 22, he's reportedly bulked up to 241lbs over the offseason and he's surprisingly athletic for his height. His biggest problem may be that he is #2 on the depth chart behind the best LB in the game. Hope he's paying attention.......
Originally posted by ebayniner:
"My prediction on the 49ers 53 Man Roster"

I stopped reading at this point. Dude - research. Know what you know, and know what you don't know.

And you know? . .
That's your problem. Kristick easily makes the 53 because he may be the smartest LB on the team and he's versatile. I read the same ignorant fan criticism last year with McKillop, Kristick, Davis, etc., and the year before with McKillop until he became a ST's ace. Kristick can play. He's a young 22, he's reportedly bulked up to 241lbs over the offseason and he's surprisingly athletic for his height. His biggest problem may be that he is #2 on the depth chart behind the best LB in the game. Hope he's paying attention.......

Nah, I still dont see him making it. If we keep 8 LB's total (which we probably will), then our top ILB's are Willis, Bowman, and Grant.. Dat leaves 1 spot and Costanzo was hand picked by Seeley. I said Kristick and Mc. Killops fates were sealed when Costanzo signed- and im half way there. I think and hope he's PS eligible though.
It was 53 without Kristick.

Kristick is pretty awful. His only value is on ST's, because he's been exceptionally poor on defense this pre-season. Unfortunately with Costanzo brought it, that makes Keaton the odd-man out.
Quarterbacks (3) Alex Smith; Colin Kaepernick; Josh McCown
I think this is pretty much a lock. The only question is does Kaepernick take over as 49ers starter at any point in this season. I say it is 50-50. At best Alex Smith gives us a decent season and can put us in the mix for 8-8. I think Kaepernick will be ready to be a starting NFL QB by next year but he has already shown me he can be better than Alex Smith.

Running Backs/Fullbacks (5): Frank Gore; Kendall Hunter; Anthony Dixon; Bruce Miller; Moran Norris Gore is an obvious lock and Hunter looks like the clear #2. I think Dixon probably will make the team but he is not a lock. At fullback, it is just a matter of time before Miller becomes the starter over Norris. Norris is also no lock for making the team.

Wide Receivers (6) Michael Crabtree; Braylon Edwards; Joshua Morgan; Ted Ginn Jr; Kyle Williams; Dominique Ziegler
So the surprise here is that Ronald Johnson does not make the team. He was a 6th rd pick and is a favorite of WR's coach John Morton who was his position coach at SC. Problem is, Johnson has really struggled in the pre-season and has had a so-so camp. I think Ziegs beats him out as he has already been impressing Harbaugh and he is a very solid sure handed receiver. Kyle Williams has looked very good in camp and pre-season. Crabtree, Edwards and Morgan could form a heck of a trio if they all can stay healthy and focused.

Tight Ends (3) Vernon Davis; Delaine Walker; Konrad Reuland
Vernon is a stud. Delaine Walker should have a real nice role in this offense and Reuland looks like a solid rookie.

Offensive Line (9) Joe Staley; Mike Iupati; Jonathan Goodwin; Chilo Rachal; Anthony Davis; Alex Boone; Adam Snyder; Daniel Kilgore; Tony Wragge
Tough call here, Harbaugh could go with 8 guys as Wragge would be the odd man out. I think they will start the season with 9 O-Lineman and if they need to open up a roster spot at another position, Wragge could be the first one gone. This group needs to get their act together, QUICK! Staley just has not looked the same since he broke his leg. Iupati looks like he still has a ways to go but he has shown he could be a very good O-Lineman at times. The same really can't be said for Chilo Rachal and Anthony Davis. Anthony Davis right now looks like Kwame Harris part Deux. He just looks lost and confused out there and I question his feet and concentration. Rachal has shown me he cannot do the job. I do not trust him at all. I have basically given up on him. I am still holding out some hope for Davis. If Goodwin can pick this offense and get in sync, he can be a very good starting Center for us but it could take another month or so. Snyder is a good backup because he is so versatile and I think he is a better RG than Rachal. Daniel Kilgore has really impressed the heck out of me. They drafted him to groom him as a starting center but he has looked really good at guard to. I think he could be a starter in 2012. The other drafted rookie O-Lineman (Mike Person) has looked pretty good to as a backup tackle. He will most likely be on the practice squad and could make the team next year.

Defensive Line (6) Justin Smith; Issac Sopoaga; Ray McDonald; Ricky Jean Francois; DeMarcus Dobbs; Will Tukuafu
A week ago I thought Ian Williams was just about a lock to make the team but now I am not so sure. He needs a good game on Thursday to make the team, IMO. We could also pick up a veteran if a solid one becomes available. Dobbs has been a real pleasant surprise and he has to be a lock to make the team now. He looks like he has starting potential down the road as well. Tukuafu has been real solid as well. He always seem to be very active and gets a nice push. Ricky Jean would be a key guy as he would be the top backup at both DE spots and NT.

Linebackers (9) Patrick Willis; Navorro Bowman; Larry Grant; Blake Costanzo; Aldon Smith; Ahmad Brooks; Parys Haralson; Antwan Applewhite
I do not think Applewhite will make the team unless he has a big game vs San Diego. I do think we will add a fourth OLB though but it will be from another team. Ahmad Brooks looks poised to have a big year in Fangio's scheme. Aldon Smith is a bit raw but he is showing flashes of being a big time player. Willis is the best LB in the NFL. Bowman looks really, really good. Larry Grant looks like a capable starter at ILB and adds great depth and is also a good ST's player. Costanzo makes the team because of his ST's ability. Keaton Kristic could replace Wragge as the 53rd man on the roster as well.

Defensive Backs: (10) Carlos Rogers, Shawntae Spencer; Tarrell Brown; Chris Culliver; Tramaine Brock; Donte Whitner; Dashon Goldson; Madieu Williams; Reggie Smith; C.J Spillman
We could have two solid starting veteran corners in Rogers and Spencer IF Spencer can ever get healthy. T.Brown is a good nickel corner and can be a solid starter for a few games, but not more than that. Plus he has his own issues staying healthy. Chris Culliver looks like a big time player. Man was I wrong on him when we drafted him. He has jumped out in every pre-season game I have watched. Brock has had a lot of hype because supposedly he has looked good in TC but in the pre-season games he really has not impressed me. Phillip Adams would almost be a lock to make the team if he was fully healthy. Still, it could be tough to cut him and he may end up making the team. Our corner situation is very shaky. I do like our safeties. Donte Whitner has come right in and looked like he has been here for years and adds a very good tackling safety who also adds some much needed leadership to the back end. Goldson moves back to FS where he should be better suited. Madiue Williams though has outplayed Goldson in the pre-season. Reggie Smith could be a pretty good player IF he could ever stay healthy. C.J Spillman is a solid player. He adds good depth at safety and is a very good ST's player.

Special Teams (3) David Akers (K); Andy Lee (P); Brian Jennings (LS)

I think Wragge, Moran Norris and Applewhite are 50-50 to make the team. Maybe slightly less on Applewhite but like I said, I think we would add another OLB on the roster if he does not make the cut. Ian Williams Keaton Kristic could make the team over Wragge and Norris or vice versa. Phillip Adams could also sneak on to the roster.

Wierd. A post that long that actually makes sense and I can more or less agree with. Thanks. Ian Williams is hard to pass on, but there's just not room. {PS if not claimed } Personally, I would keep P Adams and let M Norris go. Wragge is a decent all around player and Kristic hasn't shown me much. Oh, and Kaep.... yah, love the potential, but not even close to ready. Alex will look amazing this year if the line learns and performs. Applewhite adds depth to the LBS, but he may lose out to Colin Jones. Sealy will want a couple of core STS, and he was a draft pick. Seems like a toss-up. If a better FA linebacker comes availabe[ i.e. TKO type] you're right, that's who will get the spot.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Dump Norris and Zeigler, add Ian Williams and Phillip Adams and I'm on board.

DONT DUMP ZIGGY.... PLEASE. This is the most sure handed receiver this team has had since Rice, besides alligator arms /rapper/dips**t/bronco BLloyd. He runs great routes and he's clutch. If we had consistent QB/OL play and a real offensive gameplan this kid would have torn it up. Of course, now that I think about it that's true of most of our team Damn you Singletary, Raye, Nolan, ... fill in blank.
  • Tombo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MickyD2702:
DONT DUMP ZIGGY.... PLEASE. This is the most sure handed receiver this team has had since Rice, besides alligator arms /rapper/dips**t/bronco BLloyd. He runs great routes and he's clutch. If we had consistent QB/OL play and a real offensive gameplan this kid would have torn it up. Of course, now that I think about it that's true of most of our team Damn you Singletary, Raye, Nolan, ... fill in blank.

I totally agree. In a weird way, I feel the same way about him as I do about Ray Macdonald. Whenever they would get playing time, they performed very well, and I could never understand why Dingleberry couldn't see that. Good luck Ziegler, hope you stay!
I would also be surprised if we go with more than five wide receivers. There are just too many other needs.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
I think Kaepernick will be ready to be a starting NFL QB by next year but he has already shown me he can be better than Alex Smith.

Could you tell me what he has shown to be better than Smith.....because I've yet to see it.....

Well, he can buy more time, can extend the play. Haven't you been watching? He isn't easy to bring down. When he is sacked, the other side did a good job of staying in their lanes and gaps, when they haven't, he gives the play more chance to happen. Smith hasn't shown that escapability ala Montana and Young. He just needs a chance to understand the system and his players and how to read NFL defenses.

He may get playing time by game 13.

This is the only possibility that keeps this season interesting.

In order to position itself for the next draft, the organization would do well to find out what they have in Kaepernick. He seems to have the right "player" mentality and some physical tools: It remains for the strength of his CPU has to be assessed. The other guy is a known commodity: A persistent "ostrich" approach when it comes to him is a waste of time.

Originally posted by ninermonkey:
I would also be surprised if we go with more than five wide receivers. There are just too many other needs.

Agreed. Even when we go with four wide sets Vernon isn't coming off the field and Walker is a de-facto WR as well so he could fit nicely into the four wide sets. The more I think about it I just don't see a need for more than five true WR's on this roster.
Patrick...good analysis. I'd love to see Omon make the team, though. He's a very tough kid, and looks to be the kind of RB that could come in and get those crucial short yardage 1st downs. He's not a dancer, a la Dixon, but hits the hole like you're supposed to.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
I think Kaepernick will be ready to be a starting NFL QB by next year but he has already shown me he can be better than Alex Smith.

Could you tell me what he has shown to be better than Smith.....because I've yet to see it.....

Well, he can buy more time, can extend the play. Haven't you been watching? He isn't easy to bring down. When he is sacked, the other side did a good job of staying in their lanes and gaps, when they haven't, he gives the play more chance to happen. Smith hasn't shown that escapability ala Montana and Young. He just needs a chance to understand the system and his players and how to read NFL defenses.

He may get playing time by game 13.

This is the only possibility that keeps this season interesting.

In order to position itself for the next draft, the organization would do well to find out what they have in Kaepernick. He seems to have the right "player" mentality and some physical tools: It remains for the strength of his CPU has to be assessed. The other guy is a known commodity: A persistent "ostrich" approach when it comes to him is a waste of time.

Only in NT.
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
8-8 with Alex Smith??? You're kidding right? We are not only looking at the Alex factor this year, but he has no O Line against the better teams to keep him upright. Now if we have 8 mediocre teams on our schedule, I would go with that 8-8 prediction, BUT we don't have 8 mediocre teams on our schedule.
Now to my point, I like this assessment of roster cuts. In fact, I hope it turns out this way. The only thing differernt is, I would like to see Anthony Dixon dance his way out off this team to make room for Omon. Omon c'Omon down!!!

We have 11 mediocre teams on our schedule.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Looks good to me. I hope we let Norris go, I don't seem him as adding anything to Miller's development. I also hope that Dobbs and Adams make the team. There will be some interesting absences.

Norris doesn't make my cut, we won't carry two fullbacks, look for Oman to take that spot, we will keep 5 backs, Miller being the lone fullback.
Share 49ersWebzone