Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 707 users in the forums

gore frustrated *Edit - Signed Extension on 8/30 - 3 years: May no longer be frustrated.*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by billbird2111:
No my friend. Because I remember a day and time that you either don't -- or weren't around to see. Given that I don't know you all that well, I can't really tell.

What I can remember is a day and time when we stopped shelling out money for players who could not produce winning seasons.

Period. There was no "but, look what he's done" type of argument. It was a freaking cold business, but that's how we stayed on top for all those seasons. We rewarded WINNING. We did not reward individual achievement. I don't care if Gore rushes for 1500 yards next season. I really don't. I care about two simple things:

Wins and Losses. That's it.

One of my favorite players on this team from the pre-Montana era was a running back by the name of Paul Hofer. He was the lone bright spot on a God-awful, terrible football team. But the dude sacrificed his body for team, team and team. Time and time again he would slam into a wall of linemen much bigger than he was.

Eventually, his knee gave out. Rather than reward him for his years of service to the team, Walsh cut Paul Hofer. He was finished. Done. Over the hill.

The next season, Joe Montana led the 49ers to their first winning season in nearly a decade, a playoff berth and a surprise Super Bowl trophy.

Nobody remembers who Paul Hofer was. Nobody cares.

That is a poor comparison to me. He was going to play this season whether he was extended or not, obviously. And Gore could be cut in two years for all we know, so no need to jump the gun and make any assumptions that we paid a guy who wasn't going to do anything to help the team win. It's pretty obvious that Gore is not "over the hill" or "finished" at this point in time, and that's the difference. If he reaches a point to where he's obviously just about done, and we extend him, then we can say it's a bad thing. Right now, that's not the case.

And despite the losses, with Gore set to become the 49ers all-time leading rusher this year if he stays healthy, the "Nnobody remembers him" thing would also make the comparison an uneven one. Everyone will remember Frank because of that. Say we make the playoffs this year or next? Even more so he will be remembered.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
No my friend. Because I remember a day and time that you either don't -- or weren't around to see. Given that I don't know you all that well, I can't really tell.

What I can remember is a day and time when we stopped shelling out money for players who could not produce winning seasons.

Period. There was no "but, look what he's done" type of argument. It was a freaking cold business, but that's how we stayed on top for all those seasons. We rewarded WINNING. We did not reward individual achievement. I don't care if Gore rushes for 1500 yards next season. I really don't. I care about two simple things:

Wins and Losses. That's it.

One of my favorite players on this team from the pre-Montana era was a running back by the name of Paul Hofer. He was the lone bright spot on a God-awful, terrible football team. But the dude sacrificed his body for team, team and team. Time and time again he would slam into a wall of linemen much bigger than he was.

Eventually, his knee gave out. Rather than reward him for his years of service to the team, Walsh cut Paul Hofer. He was finished. Done. Over the hill.

The next season, Joe Montana led the 49ers to their first winning season in nearly a decade, a playoff berth and a surprise Super Bowl trophy.

Nobody remembers who Paul Hofer was. Nobody cares.

That is a poor comparison to me. He was going to play this season whether he was extended or not, obviously. And Gore could be cut in two years for all we know, so no need to jump the gun and make any assumptions that we paid a guy who wasn't going to do anything to help the team win. It's pretty obvious that Gore is not "over the hill" or "finished" at this point in time, and that's the difference. If he reaches a point to where he's obviously just about done, and we extend him, then we can say it's a bad thing. Right now, that's not the case.

And despite the losses, with Gore set to become the 49ers all-time leading rusher this year if he stays healthy, the "Nnobody remembers him" thing would also make the comparison an uneven one. Everyone will remember Frank because of that. Say we make the playoffs this year or next? Even more so he will be remembered.

ya no kidding, if anyone cant remember gore all they'll have to do is open up a 49er record book to see his name littered throughout it.....also hofer wiki page says he played during the 81 season before going on IR, no mention of walsh cutting him before the season as u indicate
[ Edited by crabman82 on Aug 30, 2011 at 6:50 PM ]
The Billbird guy, no disrespect but you must have been the guy who wanted us to get rid of Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. Gore has given this organization everything and has impressed others. You pay the man for his hardworking dedication to his craft. Nuff said.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
No my friend. Because I remember a day and time that you either don't -- or weren't around to see. Given that I don't know you all that well, I can't really tell.

What I can remember is a day and time when we stopped shelling out money for players who could not produce winning seasons.

Period. There was no "but, look what he's done" type of argument. It was a freaking cold business, but that's how we stayed on top for all those seasons. We rewarded WINNING. We did not reward individual achievement. I don't care if Gore rushes for 1500 yards next season. I really don't. I care about two simple things:

Wins and Losses. That's it.

One of my favorite players on this team from the pre-Montana era was a running back by the name of Paul Hofer. He was the lone bright spot on a God-awful, terrible football team. But the dude sacrificed his body for team, team and team. Time and time again he would slam into a wall of linemen much bigger than he was.

Eventually, his knee gave out. Rather than reward him for his years of service to the team, Walsh cut Paul Hofer. He was finished. Done. Over the hill.

The next season, Joe Montana led the 49ers to their first winning season in nearly a decade, a playoff berth and a surprise Super Bowl trophy.

Nobody remembers who Paul Hofer was. Nobody cares.

Cutting Paul Hofer, did not have any effect on allowing Joe Montana to lead his team to a Super Bowl trophy.
Paul Hofer, is nothing compared to Frank Gore (who's knee has NOT given out), who, after another four WONDERFULLY LONG years, will likely be the 49ers All-Time leading rusher; after which, his salary will look like a joke compared to half the other starting RB's in the league.
"Frank is a true 49er. I've said that from when I first got here," Harbaugh said. "That's how I thought I would feel about Frank Gore. Now, I know how I feel about Frank Gore. The guy is awesome. Somebody should do a movie. Somebody should do the Frank Gore story, because it's an awesome story."
Outside of the QB position, and even that's only to a limited extent, using wins and losses to evaluate a player is specious to me. I've never seen a more breathtaking and productive RB than Barry Sanders, and his teams generally sucked. Same was true with Walter Payton & Eric Dickerson for much of their careers. And it wasn't their fault that those teams sucked.
  • mod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 42,454
I find it funny how Billbird fails to realize that gore has nothing to do with our losses... in fact he is probably the reason we've one any games...
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 931
Originally posted by billbird2111:
No my friend. Because I remember a day and time that you either don't -- or weren't around to see. Given that I don't know you all that well, I can't really tell.

What I can remember is a day and time when we stopped shelling out money for players who could not produce winning seasons.

Period. There was no "but, look what he's done" type of argument. It was a freaking cold business, but that's how we stayed on top for all those seasons. We rewarded WINNING. We did not reward individual achievement. I don't care if Gore rushes for 1500 yards next season. I really don't. I care about two simple things:

Wins and Losses. That's it.

One of my favorite players on this team from the pre-Montana era was a running back by the name of Paul Hofer. He was the lone bright spot on a God-awful, terrible football team. But the dude sacrificed his body for team, team and team. Time and time again he would slam into a wall of linemen much bigger than he was.

Eventually, his knee gave out. Rather than reward him for his years of service to the team, Walsh cut Paul Hofer. He was finished. Done. Over the hill.

The next season, Joe Montana led the 49ers to their first winning season in nearly a decade, a playoff berth and a surprise Super Bowl trophy.

Nobody remembers who Paul Hofer was. Nobody cares.

We just dumped $20 million in the lap of Ray McDonald, so I guess in Niner Dollars $21 million for Gore is a bargain.

Gore has been one of the great, classy guys in recent 49ers history. He has stuck with this ridiculous team throughout his career. Gore has never played in a playoff game, but always gave best effort. Although I don't believe this is a move that improves the team (since he was already on it), since we weren't going to spend the cap money on difference-making free agents, we might as well give it to the best players already on our roster.

Good for you, Frank.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 30, 2011 at 6:56 PM ]
paul hofer played 12 games in 1981 for the 49ers, gettin 60 carries for 193 yards according to nfl.com.....i fail to see where walsh cut ties with him prior to a sb season
Originally posted by crabman82:
paul hofer played 12 games in 1981 for the 49ers, gettin 60 carries for 193 yards according to nfl.com.....i fail to see where walsh cut ties with him prior to a sb season



Originally posted by crabman82:
paul hofer played 12 games in 1981 for the 49ers, gettin 60 carries for 193 yards according to nfl.com.....i fail to see where walsh cut ties with him prior to a sb season

lol, and according to wikipedia he wasn't cut at all, he retired.
Thank you, finally. Glad he's signed...now start focusing on the season Gore!
crabtree..check
gore.....check

vd....any word why he didnt participate in practice today?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
We just dumped $20 million in the lap of Ray McDonald, so I guess in Niner Dollars $21 million for Gore is a bargain.

Gore has been one of the great, classy guys in recent 49ers history. He has stuck with this ridiculous team throughout his career. Gore has never played in a playoff game, but always gave best effort. Although I don't believe this is a move that improves the team (since he was already on it), since we weren't going to spend the cap money on difference-making free agents, we might as well give it to the best players already on our roster.

Good for you, Frank.

faint praise
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone