Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 781 users in the forums

gore frustrated *Edit - Signed Extension on 8/30 - 3 years: May no longer be frustrated.*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I bet the reactionaries in this thread cheered Garrison Hearst when he ran for 1,200 yards at the age of 30.

Gore is 28 years old. He's got a few left in him yet.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Terrible, awful, downright stinky rotten signing for us. This is going to be worse than the OJ deal. We just overpaid for a running back who CANNOT stay healthy.

I really thought this team had changed under Jed, Trent and Jim. Now, I'm REALLY beginning to have my doubts.

There is NO WAY that Gore is worth that kind of money.

Running backs who can lead teams to winning seasons and playoff berths are worth that kind of money. Gore has NEVER been that kind of game changer and he NEVER WILL.

Terrible, awful, dumb move.

This just guaranteed us another three years of losing. Scuse me. I'm so upset that I have to go and break a mirror somewhere.

If the best running back to ever play (by FAR), Barry Sanders, could not lead his team to the playoffs by himself, then who the heck ever has? BESIDES the old timers like Jim Brown (who was ahead of his time and played against 180lb linebackers) etc.

He has been the MVP of our team since his second year in the league. Its not like we're the Chiefs, or the Broncos (with Shanahan) who produce year-after-year All-Pro running backs with anybody they throw in there because of their amazing systems. Gore had to do it the stone age way. With an offensive scheme so easily predictable, a caveman could do it.

Quarterbacks lead their teams to the playoffs. Not running backs. Running backs just make the quarterbacks job easier.
Alex Smith without Frank Gore is like Ichabod Crane without his horse as he travels through Sleepy Hollow. Pee would be running down his leg, before he even heard the hoofs of the headless horseman.
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
I guess.. I should say Congrats Gore got a sign for deal our team.. Come on Serious to get the wins games please.. Go Gore.. Go 49ers!

Answer thread bestest...Gore's so beast that good dayum!
Not a terrible deal... wonder if just letting Frank go and taking the comp 3rd round pick would've been the better bet though.
Don't feed the trolls, seriously.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Don't feed the trolls, seriously.

THIS!

Some people are just lonely and know that going against the grain will garner attention. Let them wallow in their misery alone.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
  • Posts: 122,147
Originally posted by dhp318:
Not a terrible deal... wonder if just letting Frank go and taking the comp 3rd round pick would've been the better bet though.

That's what I would have preferred.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by dhp318:
Not a terrible deal... wonder if just letting Frank go and taking the comp 3rd round pick would've been the better bet though.

That's what I would have preferred.

Dry humor in that joke.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by dhp318:
Not a terrible deal... wonder if just letting Frank go and taking the comp 3rd round pick would've been the better bet though.

That's what I would have preferred.

u only get a comp pick if u dont add free agents, we woulda had to let him walk, not sign many or any FA to get 1 extra pick brilliant strategy
[ Edited by crabman82 on Aug 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Of course I love Frank Gore. Who wouldn't? But I haven't seen anything in print just yet to say this contract won't hurt us in the future.

Look at the facts of what I think we know (this thread is still titled rumor I think): We just paid a bunch of money, starter money, to a guy who hasn't been able to last a full season.

You don't just up and pay someone out of loyalty and what he's done. Pay is based upon performance and what the future holds. For Frank? The future holds the promise of another injury. I think that's a safe assumption, given his health these past few seasons.
who pissed in your cheerios?

This team. For the past decade.

Question: You ever get tired of losing? Or, are you getting used to getting punched in the face every Sunday?

We just paid millions to a guy who hasn't been part of one winning season, let alone a playoff season.

And you're happy with this arrangement?

no i love losing and look forward to watching a team without any good players on it lose each and every sunday.

football players get paid in millions.

in a market skewed by a foolish deal given to a lesser player, we got one of the best runningbacks in the NFL for another couple of seasons. we overpaid, but given the demands, we came out with a deal that won't cripple us, keeps one of our best players happy, and lets us move on.

Its a good day in Ninerland. Maybe YOU are the one who has become so used to losing you can't accept anything else.

No my friend. Because I remember a day and time that you either don't -- or weren't around to see. Given that I don't know you all that well, I can't really tell.

What I can remember is a day and time when we stopped shelling out money for players who could not produce winning seasons.

Period. There was no "but, look what he's done" type of argument. It was a freaking cold business, but that's how we stayed on top for all those seasons. We rewarded WINNING. We did not reward individual achievement. I don't care if Gore rushes for 1500 yards next season. I really don't. I care about two simple things:

Wins and Losses. That's it.

One of my favorite players on this team from the pre-Montana era was a running back by the name of Paul Hofer. He was the lone bright spot on a God-awful, terrible football team. But the dude sacrificed his body for team, team and team. Time and time again he would slam into a wall of linemen much bigger than he was.

Eventually, his knee gave out. Rather than reward him for his years of service to the team, Walsh cut Paul Hofer. He was finished. Done. Over the hill.

The next season, Joe Montana led the 49ers to their first winning season in nearly a decade, a playoff berth and a surprise Super Bowl trophy.

Nobody remembers who Paul Hofer was. Nobody cares.
called this weeks ago, glad to have him for another few years
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Yeah but we have plenty of cap room and we need him to have any shot of having a succesful offense this year and make a run at the playoffs. Plus since Frank was injured throughout college and then part of this year, and hasn't been in any playoff runs, there is more tread left on his tires than other guys at this age. He also keeps himself in great shape. Not to mention he is so technically sound that even when he loses a step he will still be a great 3rd down back who is great in blitz pick up and running routes.

As you said, he doesn't have as much wear & tear on his body because he's been hurt so much, which is a problem that usually gets worse with age, not better. I also think that RB injuries tend to be of the "violent collisions with disasterous potential happening 30 times a game" nature as opposed to gradual wear & tear.

I can see Gore being a healthy, productive back from '12 - 14, but I think that's an optimistic scenario, and I don't want us paying that kind of money to a 3rd down back. IMO our FO's job is to evaluate toward the most realistic scenario and deal accordingly. I don't think they did that here. I don't see the perennial contenders in this league making deals like this one.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
No my friend. Because I remember a day and time that you either don't -- or weren't around to see. Given that I don't know you all that well, I can't really tell.

What I can remember is a day and time when we stopped shelling out money for players who could not produce winning seasons.

Period. There was no "but, look what he's done" type of argument. It was a freaking cold business, but that's how we stayed on top for all those seasons. We rewarded WINNING. We did not reward individual achievement. I don't care if Gore rushes for 1500 yards next season. I really don't. I care about two simple things:

Wins and Losses. That's it.

One of my favorite players on this team from the pre-Montana era was a running back by the name of Paul Hofer. He was the lone bright spot on a God-awful, terrible football team. But the dude sacrificed his body for team, team and team. Time and time again he would slam into a wall of linemen much bigger than he was.

Eventually, his knee gave out. Rather than reward him for his years of service to the team, Walsh cut Paul Hofer. He was finished. Done. Over the hill.

The next season, Joe Montana led the 49ers to their first winning season in nearly a decade, a playoff berth and a surprise Super Bowl trophy.

Nobody remembers who Paul Hofer was. Nobody cares.

so cutting Paul Hofer led to the Super Bowl win?

I wasn't alive then, so, you're right, I don't have an opinion on your anecdote. Frank Gore has a lot of football left in him, and that football will be played in the service of the San Francisco 49ers, and I'm glad for that.

i will cheer his receptions, rushes, blocks, touchdowns, passion, and sportsmanship. You don't have to, if you don't want to.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
No my friend. Because I remember a day and time that you either don't -- or weren't around to see. Given that I don't know you all that well, I can't really tell.

What I can remember is a day and time when we stopped shelling out money for players who could not produce winning seasons.

Period. There was no "but, look what he's done" type of argument. It was a freaking cold business, but that's how we stayed on top for all those seasons. We rewarded WINNING. We did not reward individual achievement. I don't care if Gore rushes for 1500 yards next season. I really don't. I care about two simple things:

Wins and Losses. That's it.

One of my favorite players on this team from the pre-Montana era was a running back by the name of Paul Hofer. He was the lone bright spot on a God-awful, terrible football team. But the dude sacrificed his body for team, team and team. Time and time again he would slam into a wall of linemen much bigger than he was.

Eventually, his knee gave out. Rather than reward him for his years of service to the team, Walsh cut Paul Hofer. He was finished. Done. Over the hill.

The next season, Joe Montana led the 49ers to their first winning season in nearly a decade, a playoff berth and a surprise Super Bowl trophy.

Nobody remembers who Paul Hofer was. Nobody cares.

so cutting Paul Hofer led to the Super Bowl win?

I wasn't alive then, so, you're right, I don't have an opinion on your anecdote. Frank Gore has a lot of football left in him, and that football will be played in the service of the San Francisco 49ers, and I'm glad for that.

i will cheer his receptions, rushes, blocks, touchdowns, passion, and sportsmanship. You don't have to, if you don't want to.

he'll cheer for it, then if we dont make the playoffs blame his contract for it
Good deal. Hope he keeps playing at a high level for most of the contract.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone