LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

gore frustrated *Edit - Signed Extension on 8/30 - 3 years: May no longer be frustrated.*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Pay him...We cant afford to lose him now...Period...
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Actually, after the game yesterday Kim Coyle interviewed Gore and asked him about the extension, i can't remember what he said, but he didn't look too happy. Anybody else see this interview?

bump
MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
Harbaugh classifies reports of Frank Gore's unhappiness and possible future trade request as "water-cooler talk."
19 minutes ago
Gore is a day late and a dollar short to this extension deal I'm afraid. It's just really bad timing for him. Poor guy had all those knee injuries in college preventing him from being a top 5 draft pick and receiving a huge contract back then. And now he wants money that just doesn't make sense for any franchise but SC to pay given his age and injury history. He's been one of the few bright spots on a really crappy franchise and unless we somehow win the Superbowl this year, his football career will most likely end with a "meh". Absolutely awful luck this guy has had....playing on a crap team and never getting the huge crazy money deal.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
Harbaugh classifies reports of Frank Gore's unhappiness and possible future trade request as "water-cooler talk."
19 minutes ago

lulz
Pro Football Talk B.S. and all the local beat writers belive the B.S. and ate it up. Gore wants to be a 49er for life. He would have held out longer if he was really that upset. He will be Free Agent next year and he will get his money. If not here somewhere else. Niners aren't going to trade their best player!
Florio and PFT is a joke and Rosenhaus is a clown.

I'll believe that Gore wants out when he says it himself. I fully expect for Frank to put every ounce of effort in to helping this team win football games - which he has always done.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Yeah ok, since you like to pretend to have a keen insight into what goes on behind closed doors at 4949 Centennial, let me pretend for a second . . .

I assume if we signed Gore to a DeAngelo Williams deal this is what we'd hear from you.

"Unbelievable. Marty Hurney offered a stupid contract to De Angelo Williams so Baalke has to keep up with the Jones by overpaying for a RB coming off hip surgery . Genius strikes again."

Go ahead and deny it.

First, we don't know that Williams' money is going to be the benchmark. It may be. Here is the issue. You work with players in good faith. Obviously, Gore was told that if he came back, the team would make him happy, or he wouldn't have shown up. So, you work with your players in good faith to get something done. Obviously, Gore feels the team has not worked in good faith.

We are dealing with a cheap organization. We have already seen this in free agency (we didn't land a difference-making FA because we went on the cheap), have the 9th largest pool of money still to spend, and have obviously pissed off one of our most loyal and dedicated players.

My premise is this: If you aren't going to play the free agent game correctly, and you still have a mountain of money to play with, why not give your best offensive player the money. In a normal world, I would be hesitant to offer Williams money on Gore's body, but the Niners have been dragging their feet with this contract, and now they have enraged Mr. Niner.

It all comes down to how you deal with your players. Obviously, they don't get how it works.

We don't know a lot of things. What we do know is that this cheap organization tore up Gore's rookie deal two years early to get him paid when it didn't have to. Now, per the reports I've seen, I didn't make this up, Rosenhaus is negotiating off the DeAngelo Williams deal, which is 5 years with $21 million guaranteed. Is simply being able to afford that really the point? There are a lot of things I can afford that I don't buy.

I hate to see that Gore is upset and I want to see him in a Niner uniform for the rest of his career . . . or at least the next three years, but if the reports are accurate that he wants Williams type money I can understand the hesitation from the front office.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Aug 21, 2011 at 2:37 PM ]
I have this feeling that by tomorrow we will read reports of Gore saying that all these rumors were just that...rumors. He has already said that he will play this year whether he gets the contract or not. I just don't think he will be demanding Williams type money. Rosenhaus knows that no team would be willing to pay him that sort of money either. His best bet is to stay in SF with a reasonable contract. He loves playing for the 49ers too much, he should be back.
I've never been so torn over what to in my football watching life. I see the argument on both sides. The fan in me loves Gore and wants him to get paid and finish his career as a Niners. However, my business sense says the guy is 28, coming of hip surgery and is a lock to miss at least a few games a season. Giving him a big money contract would be stupid. When we extended him, I think we did the right thing and it actually worked out to be a fair deal. I would like to see a similar compromise. Maybe a 3 year deal with a solid gaureentee of maybe 15 million with additional 10 in insentives. If he gives us two more good years I think it's worth it. We easily have the cap space for that between this year and next.

Lol at all the people wanting to ship Gore. Forget about him being the centerpiece of the offense for the past several years, doesn't anyone here remember the days of Derek Loville?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I don't find this to be complicated. Offer Gore a 4 year, 30 million dollar contract that is front-loaded and filled with playing time incentives to cover our arse in case of injuries. If Frank declines, then he has choices to make, and we will live with whatever happens next.

I agree. This is our best option IMO. Pay the man but negotiate the contract so that we won't get screwed.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Howlett:
Pro Football Talk B.S. and all the local beat writers belive the B.S. and ate it up. Gore wants to be a 49er for life. He would have held out longer if he was really that upset. He will be Free Agent next year and he will get his money. If not here somewhere else. Niners aren't going to trade their best player!

The problem, from Gore's point of view is if his hip or knees do give out again at some point, then no he won't get guaranteed money from anyone. He'll get a marion barber type of contract somewhere, heavily dependent on incentives like staying healthy.

the last of this year's contract is the only money he's got to survive on the rest of his career. Doesn't really have the charisma/character for a commentating job, doesn't have the brains to get into any sort of coaching, what's he gonna do?

Barber got a big payday with 16m guaranteed the year before he became really injury prone, westbrook also got a pretty decent contract before he turned injury prone. Why bother? He's got one, Maybe two years left before he's a certified veteran backup.
Broken hip?? Sounds like the roids/additives are catching up with him. 3yrs 21 mil, front loaded and 4th year of 8mil (4mil for season, 4 mil incentives) 18 guar. He actually waited too late to push for a new contract.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I don't many RB's who have broken their hips... no one exactly where or how Gore broke his hip either.

Teams are always finding great backs in late rounds of the draft... or even undrafted... Arian Foster, LaGarret Blount, Peyton Hillis, Frank Gore (3rd Round), Ahmad Bradshaw, etc. etc.... RB's don't last long and it is a much easier position to fill, so asking for a lot of money doesn't make sense.

<sigh> Sorry to go a bit off topic, but I'm still pissed that Glen Coffee didn't make up his mind to retire while Blount was still with the Niners...had he then gotten a decent chance to show his stuff he might well have made the team, torn it up on the field last year, and the Gore conversation would be a little different right now.

But I agree that RB is turning out to be the least predictable position as far as drafted/undrafted players go. Every year someone comes out of nowhere to really excel, and while I'm sure Mark Ingram will do well, it's probably likely that some other rookie will outrush him during the season.
Share 49ersWebzone