There are 234 users in the forums

Should the Niners Bring in a Vet RB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should the Niners Bring in a Vet RB?

• dj43
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
i was NOT impressed with Hunter. Thought he was supposed to be quick!

eh, he showed some pretty good instincts and picked the right hole more often than I expected tonight. He has passed Dixon on my depth chart.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing a vet if someone good comes along. Unless Dixon gets over his dancingitis, he won't be the #2.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
They should bring in a vet qb.
I hope Westbrook comes back. I doubt he will, but he's still very productive as a starter.
I hope, Gore should trade to mark ingram!!! Come on!!!
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
I hope, Gore should trade to mark ingram!!! Come on!!!

no, it was the first preseason game and idk if dixon was 100%

didnt he sit out a practice recently?
Originally posted by ads_2006:
no, it was the first preseason game and idk if dixon was 100%

didnt he sit out a practice recently?

His issues look mental, not physical. He looks much slower and indecisive to boot. I love Boobie (and Boobies), but he is not a starter. Hunter looked solid, but being 5'7 I'm concerned he wont be able to do the extras like block for our QB. I just dont see what the harm is in bring in a vet RB? I mean serioulsy, running the ball is one of the most imporant functions of an offense. We should beg Westbrook (WB) to come back.
  • dj43
Not a big fan of Westbrook. He has clearly lost a step...or two.

Rathman just needs to take Dixon out behind the woodshed and tell him he needs to hit the hole hard and quit pretending he is in a ballet in Paris somewhere. I think he needs more of a reminder than a complete re-building of his game. He was decent last year but seemed to regress last night. Give him time.

I liked what I saw in Hunter. Quick, set up blocks well on a couple of runs.

There will likely be a vet RB that will be cut but this team is clearly building for the future and to push Dixon and Hunter down the depth chart will not help accomplish the purpose.

We all need to chill a bit. The OL blocking on running plays was better than I expected, especially on some of the wide stuff. Considering we did NONE of that last year, they picked that up pretty quickly. Let's give it another week and see what happens. There won't be any decent RBs released for AT LEAST another week, so let's see what happens in the next game.
Originally posted by dj43:

Rathman just needs to take Dixon out behind the woodshed and tell him he needs to hit the hole hard and quit pretending he is in a ballet in Paris somewhere. I think he needs more of a reminder than a complete re-building of his game. He was decent last year but seemed to regress last night. Give him time.

I liked what I saw in Hunter. Quick, set up blocks well on a couple of runs.

There will likely be a vet RB that will be cut but this team is clearly building for the future and to push Dixon and Hunter down the depth chart will not help accomplish the purpose.

We all need to chill a bit. The OL blocking on running plays was better than I expected, especially on some of the wide stuff. Considering we did NONE of that last year, they picked that up pretty quickly. Let's give it another week and see what happens. There won't be any decent RBs released for AT LEAST another week, so let's see what happens in the next game.

Well I guess thats where we might disagree. I dont see Dixon as being a starting caliber running back. I didn't see enough of Hunter to form an opinion. He seemed pretty quick, but not exceedingly fast. Hard to say though, the Saints D really had are card.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
His issues look mental, not physical. He looks much slower and indecisive to boot. I love Boobie (and Boobies), but he is not a starter. Hunter looked solid, but being 5'7 I'm concerned he wont be able to do the extras like block for our QB. I just dont see what the harm is in bring in a vet RB? I mean serioulsy, running the ball is one of the most imporant functions of an offense. We should beg Westbrook (WB) to come back.

Its not gonna happen unless gore actually gets hurt.
Gore
Dixon
Hunter
That will be the RB's on the roster. Don't worry about it now, worry about it if/when gore gets hurt.

RB is the least of the Niner's worries...true, Dixon and Hunter are both young and inexperienced. But, after just one preseason game, now's no time to hit the panic button and bring in a vet. Not saying they won't...there'll be some good players cut as the preseason wears on. It's just not among the highest priorities now. Rather, fixing the OL is priority #1. The Saints may've done us a favor by showing so many blitzes...it gives Harbaugh a clear roadmap to the things that have to get fixed sooner rather than later.
Are some of you guys really panicking after last night's game? Really? Take a deep breath and think about it. No team has installed complex blitz protection schemes after a week and a half of practice. The Saints, with that no class stunt of theirs, could have embarrassed any team in the league that way last night. They were hazing Jim Harbaugh. The Niner defense, on the other hand, beat the Saints first string offense straight up with no tricks. If I were an honest Saints fan, I'd be worried about two things: 1. why couldn't their offense move the ball against a straight up defense playing without all its starters on two weeks of practice? and 2. why did the Saints offense need to pull out all the tricks against a new offense with less than 2 weeks practice? Couldn't they just beat the Niners offense straight up with no tricks like the Niners defense did?
Sorry, number 2 should be "Why did the Saints defense need to pull out all the tricks."
And a Vet QB
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by dj43:

WHAT! in limited time, he still averaged 4.4/carry and 9.3/rec. last year. he's great at picking up the blitz, too. probably one of the best in the NFL! i think Westy would thrive in Harbaugh's O for a year or two.
[ Edited by boast on Aug 13, 2011 at 10:56 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone