There are 139 users in the forums

EVERYBODY GO CRAZY!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If we were called the GB Packers we would win the Superbowl!!!
Originally posted by MarkD:
Coach this is what I am gonna do to all my naysayers this year.

I approve of this post.
I am starting to see a common theme on the fastest way to create a popular thread. Doesn't matter what the title of the thread is as long as it involves two words "Alex" and "Smith". When the creator of this thread started it they knew EXACTLY what they where doing. There are many reasons why Vernon Davis has not had a better career until now. Please make anti Alex threads like this stop, its bad for the Webzone camaraderie.

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by rob28:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
VD is the best tight end in the NFL.

He has 20 TDs over the past two years and 900+ yds each year (outstanding for a TE)

Also factor how good a run blocker he is.

No TE in football is stronger. No TE is faster. No TE is better.

So uh yea career ruined
If he played for the patriots, colts, saints, packers, chargers etc he would have well over 1,000 yds and way more than 20 td's in the last 2 years.

All teams with very good OLs which do not require the TE to stay in to help in the blocking schemes as much as Vernon.

Vernon Davis under Mike Martz (the guy who kept him in to block on almost every freakin' down)

31 catches, 358 yards, 2 TDs.

Vernon Davis with Jimmy Raye/Mike Johnson as OCs who were bad but actually use the TE

78 catches, 965 yards, 13 TDs (ties NFL record)
56 catches, 914 yards, 7 TDs

Why do peeps put this on the QB? It seems pretty obvious it was the OC.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Wow this thread really made it to 3 pages? the subject alone didn't warrant a reply.

if the pats or colts or chargers or packers drafted VD, his stats would be the same, right?

if rice played with Alex Smith instead of montana/young, he'd still be in the HOF, right?
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Wow this thread really made it to 3 pages? the subject alone didn't warrant a reply.

if the pats or colts or chargers or packers drafted VD, his stats would be the same, right?

if rice played with Alex Smith instead of montana/young, he'd still be in the HOF, right?

Thats not what you asked. You didn't ask if he'd be BETTER with another QB.

You said that Alex was RUINING VDs career when in fact he's had his BEST games with Alex at QB and he is currently counted among the best TEs in the NFL.
He has been great for vernon. He throws a ton of balls his way.....
  • MarkD
  • Veteran

Who the hell knows Shaj? Bottom line is that Vernon is the highest paid tight end in the game and Smith helped him get there, that is fact. What you have put forth is an invitation for speculation. How about this...If Smith and Rice played together, Walsh and Holmgren would have turned Smith into the greatest QB of all time, just like they did with Montana. How's that for some unfounded speculation? See, I can do that too, but I prefer to deal in factual reality, not delusional speculation.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Who the hell knows Shaj? Bottom line is that Vernon is the highest paid tight end in the game and Smith helped him get there, that is fact. What you have put forth is an invitation for speculation. How about this...If Smith and Rice played together, Walsh and Holmgren would have turned Smith into the greatest QB of all time, just like they did with Montana. How's that for some unfounded speculation? See, I can do that too, but I prefer to deal in factual reality, not delusional speculation.

It has nothing to do with his arguement tho.

He is saying that Alex is ruining Vernons Career. The fact is that Vernon has been BEST whith Smith at QB and he is viewed as one of the best TEs in the NFL.

How can a guy be ruined if he is considered among the best?

Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

It has nothing to do with his arguement tho.

He is saying that Alex is ruining Vernons Career. The fact is that Vernon has been BEST whith Smith at QB and he is viewed as one of the best TEs in the NFL.

How can a guy be ruined if he is considered among the best?

All great points.

/thread.

If a "noob" posted this it would have been locked a while ago.
Hello Everyone! I've been a WZ observer for a while now and thought it was a good time to join in before the season started. Out of all the A. Smith bashing threads, this is the most ridiculous. Shaj hates A Smith, we get it. Please stop with this crap.

Such a waste of a first post.

49ers 4 life!
If VD were drafted by the Patriots, Packers, Colts, Chargers, or some team like that with a real QB, I'm thinking VD would have been a phenom from the get go, a perrenial pro-bowler and the indisputed top TE in the league in passing, blocking, speed, and the ability to create separation. Unfortunately, all of that has been hidden due to "captain checkdown". VD's put up good figures in spite of endless checkdowns to Gore, endless roll rights and throw out of bounds, and endless time spent blocking instead of running the field.

Jerry Rice wouldn't have had the same career if his QB was Alex Smith, let's be honest. He probably wouldn't even be making probowls, and certainly wouldn't be breaking any records.

I think VD could have had HOF worthy results by now (which he would have to continue for another 5 - 7 years before he could be a serious candidate), but that has been completely derailed because he has had one of the worst QBs in the league throwing to him his entire career.

I know you all want to blame it on coaching and other factors, but thruth be known, if Alex had played like a #1 from the get go, nothing else would have mattered. Everything else is a red herring and an excuse.

bash me now....

completely agree....actually last night i said the same exact thing to my friend a care bears fan....i said do you realize if vd was on sd with rivers throwing to him he would of SHATTERED gates single season record for tds by at least 4-5 tds instead of tying it....not to mention probably having the record for yards in a season as well.

same goes for gore.....with the lack of an ol. if he was on a good ol i would say he could of broke 2000 or came close to it by now
Did Alex Smith Sh*t in your cheerios? I think he did.
Share 49ersWebzone